Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 14/Jun/16 11:52am

no, they've always done it, especially when they've just overtaken you while you are doing the speed limit.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 26/Oct/16 9:17pm

Just giving this new widget thingie a go...
Time
4:35:37
Distance
123.44 km
Average
26.87 kph
Climb
1012.40 m
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby hoze on Wed 26/Oct/16 10:24pm

Tugboat wrote:Just giving this new widget thingie a go...

Tugboat,
Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 64, I think the northern most point of your ride is the top of Paekakariki Hill Road, where you took this picture:
ImagePaekakariki-9 by Adrian Rumney, on Flickr

I guess that the the widget thingie require GPS co-ordinates in the EXIF data. Did you try uploading any of your pictures from the ride?
hoze
Member for: 4 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Thu 27/Oct/16 2:57pm

hoze wrote:I guess that the the widget thingie require GPS co-ordinates in the EXIF data. Did you try uploading any of your pictures from the ride?

Actually it doesn't, it just cross-references the time the photo was taken (from the EXIF data) with the time in the GPS file. Which of course assumes that your camera device and your gps device are set to the same timezone.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Thu 27/Oct/16 7:58pm

Good detective skills there hoze! :D

Interestingly the photos I added to the ride all show up around Paekak summit on the Strava map but haven't carried across into the Vorb widget. I did sync the time and date of all my photos to one taken with my phone as my GoPro keeps defaulting back to dates in 2013. This might have messed with things a bit?
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby Rik on Fri 28/Oct/16 8:08am

What am I missing here. I don't see any photos in your post. Did you upload some?

You can edit that post and upload photos, and they should appear
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby dwgknz on Wed 30/Nov/16 12:27pm

So started riding the roadie as training and have a few questions after a couple of 90 minute rides:

1. My left arm seizes up after about an hour. Is this a common thing? Not sure why it happens only on one arm.....
2. Waterproof cover for shoes, are they worth it? Rode for 90 minutes in the rain this morning and by the end of it my shoes were waterlogged. Wasn't very pleasant.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 30/Nov/16 9:17pm

dwgknz wrote:So started riding the roadie as training and have a few questions after a couple of 90 minute rides:

1. My left arm seizes up after about an hour. Is this a common thing? Not sure why it happens only on one arm.....
2. Waterproof cover for shoes, are they worth it? Rode for 90 minutes in the rain this morning and by the end of it my shoes were waterlogged. Wasn't very pleasant.

Re waterproof cover for shoes; there's no such thing :(
Even sealed seam booties let water in at the top. The best you can do is keep your feet warm if you need to.
Its one of the reasons I have 4 pairs of shoes - so I've always got a dry pair :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Thu 1/Dec/16 10:25am

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/203 ... ugh-winter

My experience with shoe covers is night and day between with and without. I don't own a set of winter shoes, so all my shoes are vented. So my covers come out as soon as it looks chilly or wet. So long as your covers have a wind proof layer I find they trap the water around your foot allowing it to warm the water like a wetsuit.
Rik

Postby Klarkash-ton on Thu 1/Dec/16 11:12am

left arm seizing could be a fit think, too much pressure from handle bars too close or too far, or too high or too low. Need more info. A good bike fit is always a good idea, though. Isn't unusual for one side to be affected more than the other, especially as Roadies only ever exercise one arm off the bike.
Klarkash-ton

Postby dwgknz on Thu 1/Dec/16 12:05pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:left arm seizing could be a fit think, too much pressure from handle bars too close or too far, or too high or too low. Need more info. A good bike fit is always a good idea, though. Isn't unusual for one side to be affected more than the other, especially as Roadies only ever exercise one arm off the bike.

Fit is shit. It's an XL but I'm a L. Shortened stem, seat moved forward and a 170mm crank and it feels ok. But it's just for training for 3 months.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 18/Dec/16 11:43pm

Nothing long. Just a change of scenery...
Time
1:47:45
Distance
32.57 km
Average
18.14 kph
Climb
579.20 m
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby Klarkash-ton on Mon 19/Dec/16 12:03pm

nice!

temperature?
Klarkash-ton

Postby Tugboat on Mon 19/Dec/16 12:58pm

Pretty steady 29-30 through the whole ride. Felt a lot hotter because of the humidity though. Especially on the climbs. It's probably the first time I've gone through two bottles of electrolytes on a 30k ride.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby mfw on Mon 19/Dec/16 1:13pm

Queen Charlotte drive commute to Nelson this morning. Beautiful start, evil headwind finish.
https://www.strava.com/activities/80581 ... 1482093846
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts