Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Derryn Hinch on Fri 25/Feb/11 10:55am

Joel wrote:thats strange about whitemans valley, never had an issue riding through there.. i do always make a point of giving the locals a wave though.

:withstupid:

Never had a problem there either.

Any news on the riders involved - all OK?
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 25/Feb/11 11:07am

nzmatto wrote:my first ever ride down the Ngauranga gorge on a road bike.

Great fun that :D

How fast did you manage to go?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby nzmatto on Fri 25/Feb/11 3:02pm

happybaboon wrote:

Dunno, it was dark. Will upload the garmin stats tonight, but I doubt it was over 70. Wasn't really in a hurry I just rolled on down happy not to be holding people up.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 25/Feb/11 3:06pm

Fair enough. In the daylight with a tailwind you can get some epic speed on down there. Nice and smooth road makes 100+ attainable :blush:
happybaboon

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Feb/11 3:51pm

nzmatto wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

Dunno, it was dark. Will upload the garmin stats tonight, but I doubt it was over 70. Wasn't really in a hurry I just rolled on down happy not to be holding people up.

Heh, I wouldn't want to go down there too fast in the dark, no matter how good my lighting was - but in the daytime you're more likely to be held up by the cars than to hold them up!

Just remember - once you get over 90kmh it's pretty tricky trying to get back into the left lane without hitting one those catseye lane marker things ... and you don't want to hit those at 90+kmh!
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby nzmatto on Fri 25/Feb/11 7:34pm

fatwombat wrote:
nzmatto wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

Heh, I wouldn't want to go down there too fast in the dark, no matter how good my lighting was - but in the daytime you're more likely to be held up by the cars than to hold them up!

Just remember - once you get over 90kmh it's pretty tricky trying to get back into the left lane without hitting one those catseye lane marker things ... and you don't want to hit those at 90+kmh!

So the Garmin says I made it to 80.... 82.1kph max speed, which is the fastest I've been I believe. Pretty happy with having in fact done my second fastest 50kph, with the fastest being in a bunch (race). Now I understand why my legs are so shot now.
nzmatto

Postby happybaboon on Fri 25/Feb/11 7:36pm

fatwombat wrote:Just remember - once you get over 90kmh it's pretty tricky trying to get back into the left lane without hitting one those catseye lane marker things ... and you don't want to hit those at 90+kmh!

Sunday mornings about 7-8am are best bru. Piss all cars. Get one of them with a bit of a northerly and go pretend you're a cruise missile :huh:
happybaboon

Postby istepinyards on Fri 25/Feb/11 8:10pm

120kms today. :thumbsup:

Sifters new bike has gotten me motivated to get under 80kgs. That and a need of new apparel :paranoid:

I dont have a Garmin so I can't prove I actually did it. :lol:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Fri 25/Feb/11 8:17pm

istepinyards wrote:120kms today. :thumbsup:

Sifters new bike has gotten me motivated to get under 80kgs. That and a need of new apparel :paranoid:

:thumbsup: :love:
sifter
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby istepinyards on Fri 25/Feb/11 9:03pm

sifter wrote:
istepinyards wrote:120kms today. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :love:

I went hunger flat after about 95kms too. Possibly the worst knock I have ever got. The middle of nowhere and the closest place for sugar was my pantry :D
Luckily the last 20kms is off a cliff with a road on the side of it. Still fun and I was smiling
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby nzmatto on Fri 25/Feb/11 9:20pm

I've finally clicked!!!!!

I've worked out how to ride faster! It's a damned sight easier than I ever thought. Look closely:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69977486
The fastest speeds happen when I'm not pedaling. Dammit! After so long of working harder, trying to pedal faster and push harder! I should stop pedaling more often! :p
nzmatto

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 25/Feb/11 9:23pm

Matt ignored my post about riding home over the Akas, so I went solo. Great tailwind up SH2 eased my aching legs but once I hit some hills I was a limp rag with rubber bands for legs. Hopefully it's all for the best in the long run :blush: did about the same time home as the outward lap this morning so just under 4.5 hours for 150 km, stopping only for a day in the office.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"

Postby nzmatto on Fri 25/Feb/11 9:31pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:Matt ignored my post about riding home over the Akas, so I went solo. Great tailwind up SH2 eased my aching legs but once I hit some hills I was a limp rag with rubber bands for legs. Hopefully it's all for the best in the long run :blush: did about the same time home as the outward lap this morning so just under 4.5 hours for 150 km, stopping only for a day in the office.

Sorry bud, I totally missed that post. Would've liked to but suspect my legs wouldn't have let me anyway. Looks like I'll be doing some regular commutes that way for the next couple of weeks, but even so I'm way heaps slower than you. I reckon your 2 hour ride from Waikanae to town via the Aka's would be closer to 3 for me. Was trying to work it out, it's 1 hour from home to the summit, then an hour out to upper hutt, and however long it takes for me to get to town.
nzmatto

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 25/Feb/11 10:01pm

we usually split the week, Mark rides from 'pram beach not far from you. We meet at 'pram station for Mon and Wed morning rides over paekak/haywards, thursday morning at waikanae station for akas, and friday pm at wellie station for return home over akas. Tuesday is KCC race night. choose your poison!

I only did this morning since I've missed last week and first half of this week procrastinating about what bike to get, and State not paying out yet :( Should have thrown some clinchers on the LiteSpeed and rode that, but I, ummm, don't want to get it dirty. Thought State would have paid out right away since they'd be claiming it back from the drivers policy, but no, and then the earthquake closed their claim centre.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Feb/11 10:38pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:... Thought State would have paid out right away since they'd be claiming it back from the drivers policy, but no, and then the earthquake closed their claim centre.

I was really sorry to read about your car incident. Once you get this claim sorted, I'd encourage you to switch to AMI. Both my kids pranged their roadies in the last months of 2010 and the AMI people bent over backwards to approve and pay out - even for Hannah's which was her fault (right turn without looking, rode into a kid on a motor scooter :crazy: ), they did the paperwork between Xmas and new Year.

All the best for your riding this year.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts