Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby bikedog on Thu 21/Apr/16 5:52pm

Why do most cycle shops websites split bike helmets into two categories, Mountain Bike & Road bike. Does it really matter whether you ride on dirt or tarmac as to what style helmet you wear? On a trail you might hit a pine tree trunk, on th road you might hit a power line post....whats the difference, really? its still gonna hurt.
Anyone have real explanation as too why some are road and some not?
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby wachtourak on Thu 21/Apr/16 5:56pm

Because they are different. Road usually more ventilation, lighter, more aero, less coverage etc. MTB often more full coverage, less emphasis on aero and ventilation etc. Go pick a "road" and an "MTB" helmet up and look at both in person and you'll see they are pretty different.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 21/Apr/16 5:58pm

I guess road cyclists tend to not need the deeper coverage, maybe they tend to hit the deck the same way and slide, whereas a mountainbike crash has more variables.
Visors on mountainbike helmets, roadies can wear sunglasses more easily whereas unless you've got a really light tint they kind of suck for trail riding.
More vents, fewer objects to get stuck in them...
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby bikedog on Thu 21/Apr/16 6:49pm

Ok, no reason yet.
bikedog

Postby Dougal on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:03pm

Roadies hate helmets with visors and I wouldn't buy a MTB helmet without one.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:17pm

bikedog wrote:Ok, no reason yet.

What?
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:17pm

Yip, I only have one helmet (a Bell Sweep XC from probably too many years ago) and it gets used for everything. Never ever wear the peak on the roadie, riding position makes me feel like it's in my field of view and I'm sort of straining my neck looking up from underneath it.

Mine is from the era where the (removable) peak was the only difference between the road and MTB models. These days MTB helmets cover much lower on the back of the head, and seem to have less but larger vents. And of course are available in #enduro colours.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Spokes on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:19pm

MTB helmets have to vent air at lower speeds so have different inlet and exhaust vents to enable this. Road helmets are designed to exhaust at higher speeds.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby matnz on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:32pm

Given Lycra is now banned from some cafes, how else would the roadies know who to welcome and who to snub. :hmmm:

Some helmets sold in New Zealand by online retailers do not meet the NZ Standards for road use, and are sold "For off road use only".
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Postby bikedog on Thu 21/Apr/16 8:03pm

We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?
bikedog

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 21/Apr/16 8:06pm

matnz wrote:Given Lycra is now banned from some cafes, how else would the roadies know who to welcome and who to snub. :hmmm:

Some helmets sold in New Zealand by online retailers do not meet the NZ Standards for road use, and are sold "For off road use only".

Really? I'm intrigued as to what brands or models you are referring too?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Thu 21/Apr/16 8:09pm

bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?

And different protection as mentioned above.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby bikedog on Fri 22/Apr/16 7:46pm

Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...

And different protection as mentioned above.

Different protection, yeah right, that's a joke. It's your head, it either protects it, or it doesn't. I'm not entertaining that foolish comment for one moment.

So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.
bikedog

Postby Kyle on Fri 22/Apr/16 7:58pm

You seem to have some preconceived notion and want to completely disregard everything anyone says? Or do you believe that a lightweight low aero drag roadie helmet is designed to mitigate the same type of impacts as a full face?

Both are completely appropriate to commute in as long as they are certified for use on NZ roads.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 22/Apr/16 8:00pm

bikedog wrote:So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.

That's not what you asked in your original post.

Buy a Carbon D3 to commute in and come back and report your findings.
mudguard

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts