Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 23/Apr/16 11:21pm

Wobbler wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Oi you forgot Wobbler too.

I started this thread so I can do what I want.

Wobbler = Jimmy Rustles confirmed.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 23/Apr/16 11:31pm

But what one is the troll account? :eh:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 23/Apr/16 11:33pm

Conners
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby bikedog on Tue 26/Apr/16 9:10pm

If I said Bell, Scott or Giro....your pick would be? (brand reputation, not specific item)
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Tue 26/Apr/16 9:18pm

bikedog wrote:If I said Bell, Scott or Giro....your pick would be? (brand reputation, not specific item)

IMO Giro and Bell are dedicated helmet manufacturers, Scott are not so much in that category (however I have no specific experience with their helmets).

Both Giro and Bell make numerous models, I'm sure some are excellent and others less so. Very hard to label one brand as being better than the other in general - much like cars you can't just say "Ford's are best/worst" - they've had some truly awesome and awful cars over the years.

I don't think can go wrong with either brand personally - but ultimately the one which fits your head shape/size best is the best helmet for you.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby adikt on Tue 26/Apr/16 9:36pm

bikedog wrote:If I said Bell, Scott or Giro....your pick would be? (brand reputation, not specific item)

I definitely need a bell for my bike. The bloody pedestrians keep getting in my way on my ride to work.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 26/Apr/16 9:44pm

Conners wrote:

IMO Giro and Bell are dedicated helmet manufacturers, Scott are not so much in that category (however I have no specific experience with their helmets).

Both Giro and Bell make numerous models, I'm sure some are excellent and others less so. Very hard to label one brand as being better than the other in general - much like cars you can't just say "Ford's are best/worst" - they've had some truly awesome and awful cars over the years.

I don't think can go wrong with either brand personally - but ultimately the one which fits your head shape/size best is the best helmet for you.

Also the ease of cleaning your helmet is important, no one wants a smelly helmet.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 26/Apr/16 10:55pm

My Bell end uro helmet requires regular washing, but the helmet you'd see on shaven-legged roadie folk is more airy and ventilated and might require less maintenance.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 27/Apr/16 7:16am

Bell and Giro are the same brand

Buy whoever makes a commuter specific helmet for the specific commuter crashes
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Wed 27/Apr/16 11:23am

Buy the one that fits your head.
Giros don't fit me but Bells do. Bells don't fit my other half but Giros do.
They're much of a muchness.

Just buy the helmet that affords you the protection/ventilation etc you want. Buy an enduro helmet if you wanna cook your head on your communt. Buy a roadie style one if you wanna feel the breeze in your hair. Buy one of those Nutcase ones for style (watermelon or eight-ball FTW).
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 27/Apr/16 11:29am

scatter wrote:Buy the one that fits your head.

Just buy the helmet that affords you the protection/ventilation etc you want. Buy an enduro helmet if you wanna cook your head on your communt. Buy a roadie style one if you wanna feel the breeze in your hair. Buy one of those Nutcase ones for style (watermelon or eight-ball FTW).

This.

Asking "what helmet" is even more pointless than "what bike". The one that you like.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 27/Apr/16 4:40pm

i've got both a Bell and a Giro helmet, and have had both over the years, and both fit me good... the Xen was a minter (still is, it's my night helmet now - the light lives on it), but I didnt think later models were as good.

current Bell Super 2 is very nice thank you. and so was my old Bell which is in the bottom of the cupboard, which was my night helmet, but the Xen took over from it when I got the Super.

and Adikt... Isabelle really necessary on a bike?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby bikedog on Wed 27/Apr/16 6:01pm

scatter wrote:Buy the one that fits your head.

Thanks Scatter, good advice..............try it on, don't buy online unless you have to.

P.S. I see a lot of sites saying one size fits all, adjustable etc. But I'm getting feedback here that different manufacturers/styles do not necessarily fit all people.
Good advice people.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 27/Apr/16 6:04pm

scatter wrote:Buy an enduro helmet if you wanna cook your head on your communt.

But but my enduro helmet I use for communting vents better than my regular mtb helmet :huh:
At least it protects my head better.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts