Road Gap

Postby its that guy on Tue 17/Aug/10 3:37pm

Was just wondering how you guys ride road gaps... I've done tons of street/ dirt-jumping and was wondering if there are any tips for riding road gaps. I have got a chance to get up kapiti this weekend and heard they have a road gap. Got any tips?

cheers :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Road Gap

Postby northernmonkey on Tue 17/Aug/10 3:45pm

Depends on the road, what kind of lip on the take off, the angle of the landing etc. I assume anyway not being sufficiently radcore to undertake such shennanigans. My bottle starts to go at 3' step downs.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby its that guy on Tue 17/Aug/10 3:56pm

I,ve been watching vids of it and it seems pretty small, it only goes over 1.5 lane road at the most lol.
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby wuffy on Tue 17/Aug/10 5:16pm

There's one in CHCH at vic that you can just roll into, probably about 20-25 foot. Has a light lip with a steepish landing that stops me from hitting it. Mate of mine pedaled hard into it over-shot it and cracked the borrowed corsair around the headtube, probably landed about 10 feet to forward onto flat.

Make sure it's got a decent landing or it'll be sketchy as. What are you planning on hitting it with?
wuffy
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 17/Aug/10 5:23pm

Err on the side of too much speed!
mudguard
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 17/Aug/10 5:25pm

mudguard wrote:Err on the side of too much speed!

easier said than done when you're heading for one :D
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Harley on Tue 17/Aug/10 5:32pm

Haven't ridden that particular jump, but the general rules are

1. scope it out first - i.e. do a proper walkover of run in, jump, and landing
2. make sure your rig is up to it - no one wants to taco a wheel or blow out a fork on landing
3. don't hit it alone - have some mates around (to pick up the pieces if necessary)
4. if you are not confident on speed, follow someone who has hit it before into the jump to get an idea

I'd also agree with the comment above - particularly on your first time, "moar speed" is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Harley
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby its that guy on Tue 17/Aug/10 5:49pm

Im gonna hit it on ma hard tail lol :lol:

Yeh my mate says its got a fairly flat landing... but he reckons ill be fine is long as i clear it properly. :paranoid:. as soon as you land its got a step up to skinny platform then medium sized drop/gap :)

Cant wait till the weekend :D
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Tue 17/Aug/10 5:56pm

you should be fine ive seen people hit it on bmxes and hardtails, the ramp and takeoff have both been made closer together over time too...hopefully the weather is good for you, if you are coming here this weekend on a hardtail you should go to the skatepark or bmx track at some point. :)
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby its that guy on Tue 17/Aug/10 6:02pm

Yeh, for sure. your bmx track has had tonns of work done to it aye.
Rode it 2 weeks ago and it was mean as :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby daniel-san on Tue 17/Aug/10 6:14pm

The one at kapti is pretty easy just dont go to fast into the starting berm because most of the time thats how you lose speed (well on a fully it is?) and just come of it with a reasonal amount of speed and brace for landing.
good luck
daniel-san
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Cycling | Kapiti Coast | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts