Re: Riding The West Coast Over Labour Weekend

Postby Sickman on Sun 18/Oct/09 8:33pm

mitch7 wrote:also...if you arrange to meet the Chopper pilots at a certain time....make sure your ready to go...nuthing pisses off a chopper pilot quicker, than people who are late..or wanna piss around doing bike maintenance etc :hmmm: ...Avgas cost a fortune and choppers rip thru it...so if you arrange to meet at say 9am....that means 9am they'll load and fly off...not 9.10....

HTH

They do not like wind jackets etc flying around as well. ah. :lol:
Not good form jumping fast out of the bird as well when sitting running on rough ground. :angry:
Sickman
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 23/Oct/09 11:11am

Countdown is on! I am leaving work in less than an hour. Woop woop.

Looking at riding Big River through to Waiuta as an option as well.

Hopefully I will hear from J2Hyde shortly on his Heli numbers!
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Sickman on Fri 23/Oct/09 11:23am

have fun, check in with Reefton DOC on trail conditions. Blacks point would be a good option as well as I hear DOC have cleaned it up a bit
Sickman
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Tue 27/Oct/09 9:03am

(Brief) Weekend summary.

Friday
Ferry and drive to Reefton. Few drinks at the pub. Awesome.

Saturday
Kirwans via Heli. Awesome. Had a great day with James (J2Hyde) and his mate Iain. Heaps of fun and laughs on the descent.

In the afternoon we rode to the Big River mining settlement and back again. A pretty awesome 4wd track that was a heap of fun.

Sunday
Up and down to Blackball, met up with Iain again. Rode Croesus. One of the best tracks I have ridden. Ever. It was awesome, for the nature (the Weka and Weka chick) to the never ending sweet sweetly graded descent. A must ride for all bikers.

Back to the Hilton. Drink far too much with a motorcycle club from Nelson. Some awesome lulz had.

Monday.
A bit slow, go to Greymouth and take the scenic route back to Blenheim. Planned White's Bay, but were running a bit slow, so went straight to the Ferry.

Awesome weekend. More to come.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Tue 27/Oct/09 9:23am

Awesome Pete :love:
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 27/Oct/09 5:58pm

Yeah Kirwins and Big river were great. I'd forgotten how fast and fun that top 3rd of kirwins is!

I bailed on Croesus (went skiing instead on the sunny eastern side of the divide) and that turned out to be a very good thing because I went for a short spin down some scree slopes on monday morning and my rear hub imploded and siezed. If that had happened on Croesus instead of at Craigieburn it would have really ruined the day. At least the scree slopes at craigieburn were only a short carry from the car :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby mitch7 on Tue 27/Oct/09 8:53pm

Good times :thumbsup:
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Riding | West Coast - Latest Posts