Riding The Queen Charlotte Track... In 1 Day

Postby Zoom on Fri 18/Sep/09 3:01pm

Riding the Queen Charlotte track... in 1 day.

Anyone done this?
How long did it take?
Any advice?

Zoom
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Riding The Queen Charlotte Track... In 1 Day

Postby ryda on Fri 18/Sep/09 3:07pm

Mono has done it couple of times......8hrs rings a bell ? :hmmm:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby ryda on Fri 18/Sep/09 3:09pm

thought so

Monolith wrote:Yeah, at least 8 hours of light IMO. Last two times I've 1-dayed the QCW it took between 7 and 8 hours (Admittedly the second time was on a single speed on a very wet day).

I'm always keen for a QCW mission, as long as it doesn't clash with a race weekend or summat. Taking a float plane would avoid the normal 3am ferry, and mean a 6:30(?) departure instead. Luxury :thumbsup:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Monolith on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:14pm

From memory it took me about 8 hours from Ship Cove back to Picton. Good day out, just over 100km - 28km of that is tarmac back to Picton from Anakiwa. That was a while ago though, in good conditions there's no reason it couldn't be done in under 6 hours.

If I get back on a bike at some stage I'd like to go for another strop along the QCW, it's a really cool ride IMO. :thumbsup:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Sun 20/Sep/09 11:32pm

Yeah I did it a few years ago and we got the first ferry of the day out there, I can't remember exactly but I think that meant a 930am departure from Ship cove, and we got back to Picton about 6pm, though that included stopping for a swim along the way. The track itself was good fun (like it always is) but I do recall that the bit from Anakiwa to Picton really hurt, and I had to eat lots of fish, chips and burgers to recover. :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Cycling | Marlborough | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts