Riding Short That Don't Squash Bollocks

Postby cep32 on Sun 13/Nov/16 11:54am

This might seem a bit personal but here goes.

I've never been able to find a pair of lycra riding shorts that give enough room for the family jewels to not feel a bit squashed on a 2hr plus ride. Are there any that are better than others? I don't care too much about cost as it's not exactly something I buy very often. They'll be worn under baggys so looks aren't important either.

Am I better to use a liner short like the Underdogs from Ground Effect?

Cheers,

Chris
cep32
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Re: Riding Short That Don't Squash Bollocks

Postby AgrAde on Sun 13/Nov/16 1:11pm

I find liners to be less squashing than lycra shorts, but they should still be fine. Might be a dumb thing to say but are you buying the right size? I find if they're slightly too small then the ballbag room is completely eliminated as they stretch. It's a fine line.

I like my zoic liner, tucks nicely around the gooch area but still has good room for the plums at the front. Means everything stays where it's supposed to and settling onto the seat is no problem. My endura liner by contrast is horrible, for it to sit in the right place I have to wedgie myself and the top of it is up around my belly button. Feels like I'm wearing a big thick nappy that's trying to wrestle itself into my bum crack. Wear it where it feels like I'm supposed to and the liner sags like those weird low swag sag pants that kanye wears.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Sun 13/Nov/16 2:55pm

I've had a couple pairs of endura baggies with clip in liners. The first set of liners were great and fitted really well. The 2nd pair in the same size are horrible. Got a pair of ground effects juggernauts and underdogs. Really comfortable.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby jimmi71 on Sun 13/Nov/16 3:48pm

I would check out the Ground Effect ones too. I've got some (sputniks I think) and they are a really comfortable unsquahie type fit compared to all my other lycra shorts. They kinda ride up your legs a bit, but thats the price for comfort.
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Sun 13/Nov/16 7:59pm

Oi ! :cry:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 23/Nov/16 9:21pm

I've had a lot of wear out of GE as well, and NZO stuff has always resided comfortably for long periods of time in my stable of shorts liners too.

Dakine liner (outers are great), or Vaude liner, not so much
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 25th Jan 11:46am

So after some new shorts, above the knee and not too baggy. Want to try a bib cause want storage at back. Want these for longer rides with bigger hills, loving the GE Juggernauts and underdogs for trail riding (and the GE lycra for training on the roadie).

Narrowed it down to Speci Atlas XC Pro short:

or

Ground effect Snipers with a Stowaway bib liner.

SNI-JE-FR_large.jpg

Anyone ridden both or either and have a view?
dwgknz

Postby Rik on Wed 25th Jan 12:04pm

No neither, but wow, I never knew such a thing as baggy bibs existed, that's what I've learn't today.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 25th Jan 12:10pm

The only thing I'm really after is the lumbar storage that the MTB bibs have!
dwgknz

Postby Rik on Wed 25th Jan 12:15pm

You sound like you need a #enduro hip(ster) pack :p
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 25th Jan 12:49pm

Rik wrote:You sound like you need a #enduro hip(ster) pack :p

I got a Stealth one, which I highly recommend!

But want something a bit lighter for grinding up hills. Finally found a saddle bag which I use on the roadie that works (again Stealth) but just too small to get a 27.5 tyre in with 2 co2s.
dwgknz

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 25th Jan 2:02pm

Umm... I may be too old school - but why not get a top with pockets?
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 25th Jan 2:41pm

Got that too! But only like to put stuff I want on the ride in there! Sometimes a bottle and food.

Need new xc shorts, don't want lycra, and can't fit all my tools on the bike so want more storage. Used to use baggies with side pockets but got sick of falling on hard things.
dwgknz

Postby sjb on Wed 25th Jan 3:17pm

dwgknz wrote:
Ground effect Snipers with a Stowaway bib liner.

Anyone ridden both or either and have a view?

have had the stowaways for a year now. originally bought for the pocket as part of losing the pack and expected to put up with using bibs as never had bibs before but its been the over way round. the bibs awesome, so comfy with no falling down etc. the pocket is useful, I put phone in it to keep it safe or on longer rides phone and food or rain jacket but on me it falls right where my belt line is on my shorts and I think the pocket could have been deeper or have a zip on it.
sjb
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Cycling Clothing | Cycling Shorts + Longs - Latest Posts