Riding In Qtown

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 6th Apr 4:18pm

Trev's,

I'm deep in the throes of arranging our mobs annual end of year Epic and need a bit of direction. The lads are pretty keen to head to Qtown and I'm after help with finding two full day rides. We usually either do an o/nighter (OGR/QCT/St James) or two big days if we can't manage that. So whats about in Qtown that would take up a whole day ? Maybe 6 hours out, preferably loop tracks, not afraid of climbing. Other trips have involved Wakamarina/Nydia Bay & Kirwans/Waiuta on consecutive days so don't mind the hard yards. Have done moonlight/dispute so maybe a bit bigger than that.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Riding In Qtown

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 6th Apr 5:02pm

Skippers pack track is fun, but the climb out (after an overnight by the river) is grim 4wd.
Links up with cock rock and coronet tracks but more OG backcountry feels.

Someone will be along with real advice soon.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 7th Apr 10:00am

it only took us 35 minutes to ride up the road out of Skippers. so as a loop it's not really much of a big day ride. but while you're up there, playing on Zoots and heading up Coronet for rude rock etc could fill up a day. I see on Strava Heatmap there's a few have ridden down the ridge off the north west of Coronet down into skippers... looks interesting.

And then from Trailforks:
Devils Creek looks interesting.
And Slip Saddle and Bush Creek off the top of Coronet too.
Moonlight - Ben Lomond... or indeed, moonlight through to Moke Lake and Dispute... then play in 7 mile and then ride back thru to town

Strava Heatmap is always good to see where people have been doing sneakies... but with no real reference map underneath it's only a general 'feel' for where the trails are.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 7th Apr 10:10am

swtchbckr wrote:it only took us 35 minutes to ride up the road out of Skippers.

You have revealed my laziness, we got on the truck and drove out - it didn't look tempting from my comfy seat.
Velocipedestrian

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 7th Apr 11:18am

We'd left the vehicles at the top, so the only way out was to ride...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby DogsBollocks on Fri 7th Apr 12:53pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:it only took us 35 minutes to ride up the road out of Skippers.

You have revealed my laziness, we got on the truck and drove out - it didn't look tempting from my comfy seat.[quote]

Have you done Moonlight from the top entrance ? Looks like some good climbing to get to Sefferstown. And as you say, down through Dispute to 7 mile and then to town could be a biggish day out. Then maybe Coronet, Rude Rock, Devils creek the next AM with Macetown cruise in the PM............
DogsBollocks

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 7th Apr 2:56pm

Yeah, we rode in from the Arthurs Point end. Only rode to about where it started going downhill (above the 'Stone Ruins' on the topomap), then turned back. Certainly some sweet singletrack coming back. Going out was climby from memory. and some HELLA exposure there. one bit you ride around and turn to look back and realise you were above what looked to be an overhang and a 200m drop...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Dougal on Sat 8th Apr 2:47pm

Mace Town will take most of a day.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Sun 9th Apr 7:33pm

swtchbckr wrote:Yeah, we rode in from the Arthurs Point end. Only rode to about where it started going downhill (above the 'Stone Ruins' on the topomap), then turned back. Certainly some sweet singletrack coming back. Going out was climby from memory. and some HELLA exposure there. one bit you ride around and turn to look back and realise you were above what looked to be an overhang and a 200m drop...

Sounds like looking back at the Ghost Lake hut from Skyline ridge.....
DogsBollocks

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 11th Apr 4:05pm

Get someone to drop you at the Remarkables skifield, bike up the 4WD, hike up the ridge, and ride down the other side to Gibbston. The diversion to the water race track and along to the saddle is a must. You'll work it out by looking a decent topo map. It's one of the helibike trips, but possible to do without the $ if you can get someone to shuttle you up, then don't mind 30mins near vertical scree slope bike carrying, and its especially helpful if you can then get picked up at the gibbston valley winery, not far from where the ride ends. Took us 6-8hrs with a crap load of faffing and lolling about in the sunny tussock. I think you'll find a more eloquent description in an old Kennetts book
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 11th Apr 4:10pm

BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Fri 16th Jun 4:25pm

Hey Trev's. Anyone been up the DOC tracks (Queensbury/Pisa, Pisa Ridge ) from the Dunstan side? Looks like a pretty big day especially if you incorporate the Kittle Burn tracks at the top. Was hoping someone had some experience of this so we could determine how stupid we were. Gonna be doing Obelisk the day before.

Any ad vice appreciated.
DogsBollocks

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 20th Jun 7:42am

I've heard good stories of the Cardrona Packtrack. Effectively you can ride from Tuohy's gully on the Cardrona Rd over to Cromwell...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 20th Jun 9:26am

I've done some of the pack track, dropped off at Crown range summit then rode back along the ridge and down Tuohy's to Cardies Village.
Plus a little detour to Roaring Meg hut for lunch.

Very scenic, fun day out, but I don't remember any thrilling singletrack.
Velocipedestrian

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 20th Jun 1:15pm

from the accounts i'd heard, the packtrack from Roaring Meg hut to Cromwell was mostly a sort of singletrack (perhaps, quadbikeable (but not 4WDable).

I biked up Tuohy's to the top and back once - years ago. it was alright.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Cycling | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts