Re: Riding Heaphy Track? ..better Read This

Postby Sickman on Tue 31/May/11 2:06pm

znomit wrote:
Fango wrote:
Sickman wrote:Plenty of Kiwi's roaming the track at night. I have had a few run across the track in front of me when tramping in that area.

FYI... The plural of kiwi is kiwi. Even if there was an "s", there would be no apostrophe. Two grammatical errors in one word is good, even in a Vorb forum. ;)

I count three.[/quote)]

I count at least four if that turns you on. I wanted to convey the plural to all and it worked so is that is good. English language is ever evolving so just chill out and let it evolve. Stop being a stuck up old dude who only wants status quo. :p
Sickman
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby mtbskier on Sun 19/Jun/11 8:34pm

Anybody got an update on the track conditions. Hoping to ride it at the end of the week and the rumor is that the track is quite cut up and muddy west of Mckays Hut.
mtbskier
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby hdb on Mon 20/Jun/11 12:52pm

Here is the latest from the Nelson Mail: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news ... -track-mud (as of 17/6)
Excerpt:
Mud glorious mud!

Record high rainfall and a lack of maintenance on the west side of the Heaphy Track have created very muddy conditions for the estimated 1000 mountainbikers who rode the track last month.

The poor state of the track has led the Golden Bay Mountain Bike Club to advise its own members not to ride it in rain but to wait for at least two dry days before undertaking the popular trail.

The 78.4km trail was opened to mountainbikers on May 1 as the beginning of a three-year trial by the Department of Conservation permitting mountainbiking on the track during the winter months.

A staggering 1910mm of rain fell on Perry Saddle during May, the highest rainfall recorded in the Tasman district last month, according to Tasman District Council hydrologist Martin Doyle.

Rain [was] forecast for the Nelson region on last Saturday and Sunday with heavy rain forecast for northwest Nelson.

Golden Bay Mountain Bike Club representative Mark Godden said after a club meeting on Wednesday night that members were being advised not to ride the track in rain. Exceptional rain on the track had made it very muddy from Mackay Hut westwards, especially where the track runs alongside the Heaphy River.

"[The conditions] are very hard on equipment – it's chewing up bike brake pads," he said.

Derry Kingston, manager of the Heaphy Track Help business, returned from walking the track two days ago.

"The mud was ankle deep and squishy," said Mr Kingston, who estimated a fifth of the West Coast section had suffered badly from the rain.

"One mountainbiker told me it would be unrideable by September without more gravel work on the track," Mr Kingston said.

New Zealand Cycle Trail project manager Jonathan Kennett advises mountainbikers to ride the more durable Golden Bay side and return the same way. People should spend two to three days riding the track rather than attempting it in a single day, he said, added that many bikers underestimate the difficulty of the track.

Golden Bay DOC representative Neil Murray agreed that heavy rain had made conditions on parts of the track tough for mountainbikers. He said the West Coast area office planned work within the next financial year.

DOC Buller area manager Bob Dickson said parts of the track were suffering but he didn't regard it as particularly significant, nor did he think the track was showing any greater signs of damage than having large numbers of trampers go through.
hdb
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby brownbs on Tue 21/Jun/11 8:15am

My wife and I rode part of the Heaphy Track on the 12 to the 14th June. We only rode the Golden Bay end, due to the reports we'd heard of the conditions at the Karamea end.

We spent 2 nights at Perry Saddle Hut, Sue did a walk and I did a ride to Saxon and back on day 2. We talked to the Ranger there at Perry Saddle hut and it appears most people under estimate the ride and many aren't making it to the huts they booked or are having to ride in the dark. Some who had expected to do the ride as a return ride were having to reasses their intinary and only ride it one way or just going part way through to do the return.

If you are intending to ride the track, you need to spend the time on your bike and ride it with the load you intend to carry. So many of the 37 riders we spoke couldn't believe how much harder every thing was loaded, on the bike or on their backs.

My advice is if you are planning to ride the Track maybe rethink your objectives and be realistic. Night riding and not arriving at booked huts is only going to end up with the track being closed again after the trial.

Enjoy the ride when you are there. Cheers.
brownbs
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby hdb on Tue 21/Jun/11 2:39pm

The latest from the Nelson Mail - http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news ... rack-users

Abusive, arrogant mountainbikers riding the Heaphy Track in one day will not be tolerated, says the Department of Conservation.

DOC is warning if it finds cyclists who are attempting to ride the track in one day riding at night that they will be prosecuted.

DOC Buller area manager Bob Dickson said other track users were reporting that cyclists who were riding the track in one day were "rude, arrogant and abusive".

He said the riders were out to set records on the track and had reportedly been pushing in front of people waiting to get across footbridges across streams.

Mr Dickson said that group of riders were causing trouble on the track.

He said mountainbikers as a whole were underestimating the difficulties of the track and its conditions. Even experienced riders who were doing it in two days were miscalculating it and found themselves riding sections of the track in the dark.

He recommended that people do the track in three days and two nights, so they could slow down and enjoy the ride and scenery.

He said the track was long and if cyclists were caught out with a gear failure or other trouble, they were a long way from anywhere, so they needed to take the correct gear with them.

Mr Dickson said the high numbers using the track since it reopened to riders in May had been an economic boon for places like Karamea, which were traditionally quiet in winter.

Heaphy Track Help leader Derry Kingston, who walked the track last week, said he had not encountered any abusive or arrogant behaviour by anyone, although he acknowledged that the muddy conditions on the West Coast side were difficult for cyclists.

I would sure hate to be the first biker prosecuted for riding after dark :angry: - DOC is going to make an example of them (and should, in my mind)
hdb
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby nOmadic_frOg on Sat 13/Aug/11 11:22pm

Wow your allowed to ride the heaphy track on a mtb, awesome. I hope people don't ruin it and the trial is successful. It was probably going to be my next tramp, might build up to biking it instead. Got to get my mtb first of course.
nOmadic_frOg
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby properzel on Thu 8/Sep/11 9:39pm

What's the latest insiders here?.. Did people ride it recently and can comment on teh boggy bits, how they developed during the winter and are those days

Was looking into a last minute decision, doing it end of September probably if not toooo wet (Having a close eye on the metservice 1-2 weeks before), though I might be on my own, hoping to bump into random riders - Would that be a bad idea?..
properzel
Member for: 3 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 9/Sep/11 5:40am

Sickman wrote:
znomit wrote:
Fango wrote:
Sickman wrote:Plenty of Kiwi's roaming the track at night. ...

FYI... The plural of kiwi is kiwi. Even if there was an "s", there would be no apostrophe. Two grammatical errors in one word is good, even in a Vorb forum. ;)

I count three.[/quote)]
I count at least four if that turns you on. I wanted to convey the plural to all and it worked so is that is good. English language is ever evolving so just chill out and let it evolve. Stop being a stuck up old dude who only wants status quo. :p

Apostrophes are very useful to indicate either possession or the contraction of a word.
An apostrophe never indicates a plural. There are many areas of debate or personal style in grammar but this is not one of them.

If you consider "kiwi" as a Maori word now adopted into English then the plural is "kiwis". The Press newspaper in Chch follows that style. It is somewhat unfashionable but has the advantage for a newspaper that the "s" conveys the meaning perfectly reliably in a single letter.

If you consider "kiwi" as a Maori word then it is usual to use the Maori plural arrangement, which leaves "kiwi" unmodified. You may occasionally find that leaves your meaning unclear, in which case you may need to rearrange the sentence to allow the plural to be indicated clearly.
Or (this is more common in speech) you could just bodge an English "s" onto the Maori "kiwi".
Interestingly many people do this as needed but without being aware of it - if asked they may say they never do it. :D
Simonius_Titius
"... could avoid the situation by simply not attempting to launch a firework from ones anus. -HB"
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts