Re: Riding From Hamilton To Auckland

Postby slumdog on Thu 5/May/11 4:36pm

Good for you seaston!
I would suggest that as the roundabout in question is actually off the motoroway you are totally legal to ride through there. Driving may be busier and faster around it though.

From memory, there is actually cycling signs on the SH2 heading towards Auckland, specifically heading up a hill to the left several KM before the onramp to SH1. I don't know if it is an official cycle lane or just a diversion for your safety.

And znomit, given your quote ""Aucklanders are seen as money-focused, materialistic and unfriendly and those who live outside Auckland believe the city absorbs more than its fair share of government resources,"

That would be how everyone else sees Aucklanders, not how Aucklanders see the rest of the country. You can think what you like, but we don't hate everyone else.
slumdog
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby jimmymic on Fri 6/May/11 3:50pm

Haven't done it myself but I looked at it a while ago.

seaston4 wrote:I've had a look on mapmy ride and decided from Hamilton, back roads to Ngaruawahia, the back of Huntly, through Pukekohe East, and into Auckland through Drury.

Think about heading SH22 right the way through Pokeno, into Tuakau then Puke East. SH22 is a nice ride.

seaston4 wrote:Coming into drury is where I think I might have trouble on Great South Road, as it's a big roundabout, and a big intersection. Am I able to cycle on this roundabout and intersection? And is it safe to do so sensibly?

Try heading over the motorway at Quarry Rd (just north of Runciman on your pici), should let you bypass the round about and not add too much more. to the ride.
jimmymic
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby jimmymic on Fri 6/May/11 3:50pm

Haven't done it myself but I looked at it a while ago.

seaston4 wrote:I've had a look on mapmy ride and decided from Hamilton, back roads to Ngaruawahia, the back of Huntly, through Pukekohe East, and into Auckland through Drury.

Think about heading SH22 right the way through Pokeno, into Tuakau then Puke East. SH22 is a nice ride.

seaston4 wrote:Coming into drury is where I think I might have trouble on Great South Road, as it's a big roundabout, and a big intersection. Am I able to cycle on this roundabout and intersection? And is it safe to do so sensibly?

Try heading over the motorway at Quarry Rd (just north of Runciman on your pici), should let you bypass the round about and not add too much more. to the ride.
jimmymic

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 6/May/11 3:59pm

You could ride up on a Saturday and take in a C M club race in South Akld too ;)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby TheTricksterNZ on Sat 7/May/11 2:04pm

I've ridden it but from right in town. (Akld - Ham)

I'd recommend heading out towards the road that takes you to Pirongia (depending on where you're coming from in the Tron), then follow that into Ngaruawahia, go across the river there and follow the river down the western side, go through Huntly and follow that road until you get to Glen Murray Rd on your left (if you get to the bridge at Rangiriri you've gone too far). Follow that to the end, then turn right on to SH22 and follow that through Tuakau, then pick whatever way you want to go from there. Great South Rd isn't too bad through from Papakura, although its not that nice from Manurewa to past Manukau, especially around Wiri Station Rd.
TheTricksterNZ
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby seaston4 on Sat 7/May/11 4:54pm

Cheers for the input guys. Not sure about the Quarry road, I think that loops back to the roundabout in question.

TheTricksterNZ - That's the route I was going take, to stay away from the main road, and I'll think about going along SH22 aswell, sounds like it's a good one. Looks like those busy intersections are signaled, which will hopefully make things easier.

I think if I leave early enough I'll have enough time to muck around and take my time on the busy parts.

So I think I've got the route sorted now, thanks for the help.
seaston4
"When are we going to Rotorua next?"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby jimmymic on Tue 21/Jun/11 7:03pm

All go for tomorrow? Might be out sifting from Ngaruawahia around the back on the roadie will say hi if you fly by.....

Good luck.
jimmymic

Postby seaston4 on Wed 22/Jun/11 8:52pm

jimmymic wrote:All go for tomorrow? Might be out sifting from Ngaruawahia around the back on the roadie will say hi if you fly by.....

Good luck.

All done ... sort of.

Made it to Auckland by 11.30am, but only made it back as far as Huntly due to a blown out knee. I'm in the process of making a blog, when and if I get it ready I'll post the link up here.
seaston4

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 22/Jun/11 9:13pm

znomit wrote:
Crashed wrote:Whats wrong with Auckland ? ..........im sure 1.2 million people would like to know.... enlighten us please :)

Since you asked =}

US ambassador Bill McCormick tried to sum up the "testy relationship" Aucklanders have with the rest of New Zealand.
"Aucklanders are seen as money-focused, materialistic and unfriendly and those who live outside Auckland believe the city absorbs more than its fair share of government resources,"

I think its the other way round auckland keeps the country moving...
Mickyfinn
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby seaston4 on Fri 24/Jun/11 7:09pm

Blog entry HERE
seaston4

Postby bikeryda on Sat 4/May/13 8:24pm

hey mate.. did u make dat trip to auckland from hamilton on cycle... im planning on cycling to hamilton from auckland.... just finding out a safe route....
bikeryda
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 4/May/13 9:05pm

bikeryda wrote:hey mate.. did u make dat trip to auckland from hamilton on cycle... im planning on cycling to hamilton from auckland.... just finding out a safe route....

If you read carefully the above blog post, its not super clear, but you should be able to work out his route using a good map and description of where he rode

sounds like through drury (ie down the great south) across to pukekohe, then staying on the other side of the waikato river for much of it (ie the non SH1 side)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycling | Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts