Postby Jono on Tue 30/Apr/02 7:58am

Well, I'm back from wales, and rearing for a more local ride. anyone up for a ride this weekend? Given that it's a long weekend, there is always tha possibility of more than one ride too :)

If anyone has a suggestion on where to ride, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably suggest the leith hill/box hill/holmbury hill options again (because it's so damned fun out there)...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby KiwiJohn on Tue 30/Apr/02 9:09pm

Morning Jono,

Just back from a week touring the UK and I saw LOADS of good ridiing spots. I was quietly impressed.

Pity I had my in-laws in my car instead of the bike!

How do you get out to Boxhill Jono?  Is it a train deal?
KiwiJohn
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Wed 1/May/02 5:58am

Yep. Best bet is a train from victoria station to dorking. You can either get off at dorking (which is about a 10/15 min ride to westcott, where the entrance to leith hill is), or at boxhill and westhumble (the stop before dorking), which gives you a nice ride over the north downs way (mostly offroad), and brings you out at westcott (takes about an hour).

The train ride bit is about 45 to 60 minutes, and (from memory) trains run every 30 minutes.
Jono

Postby KiwiJohn on Fri 3/May/02 1:09am

Oh well, best laid plans and all that. The in-laws have come back from Ireland early and have decided to staywith us for 2 weeks... so no go to this weekend.  

Have a good ride and scare a couple of walkers for  me!
KiwiJohn
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Sat 4/May/02 12:39am

Shure thing. For anyone else out there who is interested, the plan is as follows:

a) Go out to East Croyden and ride around with the Addiscombe people. This is usually a fast ride, with some fun stuff, and a good bunch of people. If this happens, it'll start at 10am at East Croyden rail station (get there from victoria stn).

b) Go out to Leith Hill and ride around the surrounding hills, play on log rides and drop offs, then come home. Again, probably leave from victoria stn around 10am, probably last around 20-30miles, and get home around 4-5pm or so. all good stuff (and real hills)

c) In the unlikely event that the London-MTB people get there act together (and sort out their differences about who was responsible for being late last weekend), there might be a ride. It might be at Thetford forest (and if so, I won't be there unless someone gives me a lift), or it might be somewhere else. Vorb-like siftyness and general lack of organisation will inevitably be involved, but everyone will go home with smiles on their faces...

If you're interested in any of the above, let me know here, and we can sort something out...
Jono

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts