Re: Review - Cheap Dx.com Lights For Night Riding.

Postby doogee on Sat 8th Apr 8:39am

oldandlazy wrote:So - has anyone had success with any of the low cost vendors recently, or any reasonable local alternatives? I'm used to DX pricing and hundreds of dollars for the equivalent is hard to accept. I'm after a circa 2000 lumen helmet light.
I had two bike battery packs arrive from kaidomain this week, shipping took two weeks via Singapore Post.
doogee
Member for: 3 years 0 months

Postby oldandlazy on Sat 8th Apr 7:24pm

doogee wrote:
oldandlazy wrote:So - has anyone had success with any of the low cost vendors recently, or any reasonable local alternatives? I'm used to DX pricing and hundreds of dollars for the equivalent is hard to accept. I'm after a circa 2000 lumen helmet light.
I had two bike battery packs arrive from kaidomain this week, shipping took two weeks via Singapore Post.

That's the sort of tip I was after. I'll give them a go.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 4th Jun 2:22pm

Did this tip pan out?
I've been out in the dark a couple of times recently, and noticed the battery on my gloworm is getting low after only 1.5 hrs or so. (including judicious use of low power mode for climbs).
It's getting old, and ~$200 for a battery is hard to stomach.

Anyone got the good beta on compatible reasonably priced units?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby danose on Sun 4th Jun 3:29pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Anyone got the good beta on compatible reasonably priced units?

leds are still evolving (even better efficiency so either longer run times or smaller batteries), and prices are falling - so it's probably cheaper to just ditch the gloworm totally and get a whole new system

I've just got in an exposure diablo from the UK - $250 landed (same deal, I had ayups and the battery was tired)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 4th Jun 4:07pm

Yeah, if I'm spending that much I'll be looking for a complete system.
But if I can get a decent battery for the existing lamp I'd rather spend less.
Happy with the lumens.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Dougal on Sun 4th Jun 8:17pm

I've got a guy locally who repacks batteries with new cells. The only issue is weeding out the genuine performing cells from the "overly optimistic" claims.

First pack was redone for me with cells which promised to deliver ~3x the mAh of the originals. Yet they wouldn't deliver 1 hour of burn time. Suspect the less reputable manufacturers use a very low amp draw to measure amp-hours. Giving a great sounding number but completely lacking performance with higher amps.

On stripping and testing the original pack 2 of the 4 cells had stopped delivering, the other 2 tested good.

Currently repacking the second with cells which are less boastful but from a more reputable brand. We'll see how they go. :)
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby danose on Mon 5th Jun 6:55am

Dougal wrote:Currently repacking the second with cells which are less boastful but from a more reputable brand. We'll see how they go. :)

just buy genuine japanese 18650s - panasonic, LG. The cheap chinese stuff is a joke
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby oldandlazy on Mon 5th Jun 11:14am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Did this tip pan out?
I've been out in the dark a couple of times recently, and noticed the battery on my gloworm is getting low after only 1.5 hrs or so. (including judicious use of low power mode for climbs).

I've now purchased two lights sets from http://www.kaidomian.com and both sets arrived in about two weeks. A couple of mates have also bought from them and their sets arrived quicker. The lights do what they claim - as well as the DX ones ever did anyway. Would definitely use again.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 5th Jun 11:22am

danose wrote:
Dougal wrote:Currently repacking the second with cells which are less boastful but from a more reputable brand. We'll see how they go. :)

just buy genuine japanese 18650s - panasonic, LG. The cheap chinese stuff is a joke

The difficulty these days can be sorting the genuine from counterfeit.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 5th Jun 1:55pm

oldandlazy wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:Did this tip pan out?

I've now purchased two lights sets from http://www.kaidomian.com and both sets arrived in about two weeks. A couple of mates have also bought from them and their sets arrived quicker. The lights do what they claim - as well as the DX ones ever did anyway. Would definitely use again.

That looks like a winner. ~$20-$50 usd for a battery pack, similar prices for lamps...
Could be tempted into a new bar lamp to match (or ride out with light when one catches fire on the helmet).
Velocipedestrian

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Lights | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts