Re: Review - Cheap Dx.com Lights For Night Riding.

Postby ryda on Thu 18/Jun/15 10:04pm

Percy Pig wrote:
ryda wrote:
ryda wrote:
Scotty wrote:
ryda wrote:Experence also tells me I wont get any more than 2 winters from a set, and it take 6-8weeks to arrive so you have to pre plan

Is that because of the batteries or the lamps themselves?
both, but you can fix the lamp units, wires often break where they go into the unit. The battery's the heat/overload thingy gives up, I did short one out once to get home but wouldn't recomend it,

oops...as of last night this one didn't quite make it through a second winter.... without some repairs
light broken.JPG

but I should add there was some outside influence in this failure
I've soldered wire back in but the bracket maybe a bit more of a challenge

Bummer! :eh:

I just binned about 10 of those brackets last weekend. :(

I'l have a looksie in teh Garage Of Doom, but i'm pretty sure I got them all when cleaning the bench up.
cheers But I do have 3 more lights so not short on brackets at the moment
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby GrantOgilvie on Mon 29/Feb/16 7:37pm

Whats the latest thoughts for mtb night light sets now the days are getting shorter? I need yo replace or upgrade a 5 year old Ayup set which has worked really well.
GrantOgilvie
Member for: 1 year 9 months

Postby znomit on Mon 29/Feb/16 7:44pm

Get a glowworm, cheap refurbished here:
http://www.action-led-lights.com/pages/sales
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Mon 29/Feb/16 8:13pm

GrantOgilvie wrote:Whats the latest thoughts for mtb night light sets now the days are getting shorter? I need yo replace or upgrade a 5 year old Ayup set which has worked really well.

what is wrong with the Ayup, battery reached end of life?

I would probably just buy a cheep battery (maybe with light included) and wire it up to the Ayup lights. (depending on your skill level, most lights brains are in the light, but ayup put the brain in the battery) you will lose the seal but some amalgamating tape will fix that unless you want to use them under water.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Mel on Mon 29/Feb/16 8:40pm

Don't ayup offer a refurb/upgrade service? Could be worth contacting them to see what they can do with your unit.
Mel
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 1/Mar/16 9:11am

Ay-up do an upgrade... also do batteries at a discount if you're a previous customer. :thumbsup:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Tue 1/Mar/16 4:01pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:Ay-up do an upgrade... also do batteries at a discount if you're a previous customer. :thumbsup:

how much discount do you know? sounds like the way to go. all the cheep lights i have seen have reliability issues with the cables (I would still go that way for new lights, but if i had ay-ups i would just replace the batteries if that is what is wrong)
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby danose on Tue 1/Mar/16 4:28pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:Ay-up do an upgrade... also do batteries at a discount if you're a previous customer. :thumbsup:

I just logged into my account on Ay Ups site and see absolutely NO hint of discount on batteries for existing customers, and au$70 for a 2000mAh battery is just ludicrous

better to bite the bullet and invest in something decent (exposure or Hope) : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/e ... =pricehigh

(would say Lupine as well but their prices are just mental)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 1/Mar/16 5:04pm

$70 AUD is the discounted amount... $80 is normal retail.

Just FYI I I'm still using several 5+ year old batteries...
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Tue 1/Mar/16 5:29pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:$70 AUD is the discounted amount... $80 is normal retail.

Just FYI I I'm still using several 5+ year old batteries...

at that price i would look at refurbishing them myself
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby matnz on Tue 4th Apr 11:51am

Just a reminder - time for everyone to check those cheap Dx Batteries will last the distance this season. I though I had better check mine would.

Both batteries are both down to 1000mAH (after two years), lasting just over an hour on high. Both given top up charges once though summer, used maybe once a week, I hoped for better, but at the prices, what I expected.... Time for a new set.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 4th Apr 12:38pm

Last year I tried to get some DX lights but abandoned after the third attempt to get them sent failed. There seems to be a very small number of countries which allow air freight of high capacity lithium batteries now, and NZ isn't one of them. DX tells me that they still get them through sometimes, but often they get stopped by China Post/Chinese customs.

So - has anyone had success with any of the low cost vendors recently, or any reasonable local alternatives? I'm used to DX pricing and hundreds of dollars for the equivalent is hard to accept. I'm after a circa 2000 lumen helmet light.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Tue 4th Apr 2:37pm

matnz wrote:Just a reminder - time for everyone to check those cheap Dx Batteries will last the distance this season. I though I had better check mine would.

Both batteries are both down to 1000mAH (after two years), lasting just over an hour on high. Both given top up charges once though summer, used maybe once a week, I hoped for better, but at the prices, what I expected.... Time for a new set.

I dusted my 7 year old ones off at Christmas for a long night ride and they still performed, some of it the luck of the draw I guess
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 4th Apr 7:00pm

I've had 3 mates in the last wee while had the batteries turned back in China. The lamps turned up tho ...........
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Fri 7th Apr 1:02pm

oldandlazy wrote:Last year I tried to get some DX lights but abandoned after the third attempt to get them sent failed. There seems to be a very small number of countries which allow air freight of high capacity lithium batteries now, and NZ isn't one of them. DX tells me that they still get them through sometimes, but often they get stopped by China Post/Chinese customs.

Crazy - I had the same issue recently... I got a Lupine light from Bike24 (Germany), which came over fine back in December. Ordered an extra battery in January, only to see it bouncing all over the show on the tracking, to find out DHL won't air-freight any batteries! I was, however, able to get the same battery sent from straya without any hassle.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Lights | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts