Retarded Cops Or Retarded Juries?

Postby Scotty on Thu 29/May/08 8:06am

Three cases in one week thrown out, and the cops saying they've exhausted all other avenues of inquiry.

Do cases like the bain trial led to mistrust of the cops? Are they just fucking up their investigations? Are jurors really just not capable of making the right sort of judgement calls?

Discuss.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby jeremyb on Thu 29/May/08 8:16am

You can't lock people up on hearsay, there has to be clear evidence, thats the joys of a democracy, sometimes the good guys get locked up and sometimes the bad guys get away, it sucks but theres little we can do about it if the evidence isn't there :(

I'd love to see all the bain evidence, not just the stuff thats been in the media over the years, theres a lot thats withheld which will hopefully come out at the new trial.
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby dented on Thu 29/May/08 8:38am

I've only caught the fringes of the Jack Nicholas shooting case, but it sounded to me like they had confessions on the hidden tape recorder.
Saw the victims brother on TV this morning saying that it was a shame that Forman, whom they believed was definitely the culprit, was getting out free.
Im in the camp that wants to see a guilty person locked up when someone gets murdered, but I dont think there is an easy answer other than a revamp of the justice system. If it would help put murderers in jail then I for one, would like to see cops have more rights.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Jono on Thu 29/May/08 9:24am

Yep - as I saw on the publicaddress blog this week, whilst it's hard to see guilty go free, surely it's better than the alternative (which is innocent getting jailed).
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby wgtngrl on Thu 29/May/08 9:29am

Jono wrote: Yep - as I saw on the publicaddress blog this week, whilst it's hard to see guilty go free, surely it's better than the alternative (which is innocent getting jailed).

Tough call that one. If the guilty go free and reoffend then we have a pretty major problem.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 9:32am

The guilty DO go free - whether it's because the cops botch the prosecution or because they've served their time. I agree with Jono; the system definitely isn't perfect, but the alternative is too scary for me to contemplate...
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby thorg on Thu 29/May/08 9:38am

:pmob: C'mon Oli - you know she was refering to 'unpunished' not go free ;)

and lets not forget the NZ justice system is all about punishment - not rehabilitation :thumbsup:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 9:45am

thorg wrote: :pmob: C'mon Oli - you know she was refering to 'unpunished' not go free ;)

and lets not forget the NZ justice system is all about punishment - not rehabilitation :thumbsup:
Er, read what I said Thorg. I understood Lisa perfectly. :eh:

And nearly ALL justice systems are about punitive rather than rehabilitative sentencing - it's just that we don't shoot or hang the guilty. Name me one country that's main focus is truly on rehabilitation.
Oli

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 29/May/08 9:48am

To quote Ronnie Biggs "?No one is innocent"
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 9:51am

It always makes me laugh (in a sad and cynical way) that whenever there is a heinous crime or perceived miscarriage of justice that the talkback forums are flooded with knee-jerk responses.

The fact is that our legal system is pretty good really - back me up here HDC - but that no system is perfect. Hit me with a credible alternative - go on, I dare you.
Oli

Postby Spokes on Thu 29/May/08 9:56am

Send in the SAS...........
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 9:58am

Hang 'em high!
Oli

Postby Spokes on Thu 29/May/08 10:02am

Nuke em....
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby wgtngrl on Thu 29/May/08 10:04am

Oli wrote:I understood Lisa perfectly. :eh:

I didn't mean that the guilty never go free. Perhaps I should have said 'when' the guilty go free and reoffend we have a major problem.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby dhroadie on Thu 29/May/08 10:04am

I point the finger at juries. Think of all the high-profile cases police have successfully prosecuted over the years. I hesitate to say "solved".
-Stanlake "handless corpse" murder
-Lundy
-Scottish bird in Taupo - they've nabbed someone
-Malcolm Rewa
-Carlos Namana
and hundreds more.

To be fair, they nab way more than they don't. Think of the kind of people who make up juries. Most "normal" people manage to weasel out of it most of the time. So you're left with sickness beneficiaries, the terminally unemployed, those too stupid to get out of it, students and the elderly.

I maintain that MOST people are stupid, gormless, emotional, reactionary idiots. You just have to read the "your views" section of the Herald site to see what fuckwits inhabit this country. Ban this, restrict that, put a stop to the other, nine times out of 10 it's a fairly isolated case they're jumping to conclusions over.

I'd shudder to think these are the kind of people who'd be judging me or someone I care about should they ever get into enough trouble to warrant a jury trial.

Rant over (for now)
dhroadie
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts