Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 10:06am

wgtngrl wrote:
Oli wrote:I understood Lisa perfectly. :eh:

I didn't mean that the guilty never go free. Perhaps I should have said 'when' the guilty go free and reoffend we have a major problem.

I know what you meant - perhaps my response was just too obscure for you and Thorg. Sorry about that.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby wgtngrl on Thu 29/May/08 10:09am

You're just too obscure Oli.

That's a song... possibly elemeno p (could be wrong there).
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 10:10am

The Verlaines. ;)

Maybe elemeno p covered Death in the Maiden? I wouldn't know...
Oli

Postby dhroadie on Thu 29/May/08 10:12am

Death OF A Maiden ;)
dhroadie
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 10:13am

Death AND the Maiden. ;)
Oli

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/May/08 10:23am

Retarded cops - In two cases the entire prosecution cases were based on evidence from unreliable witnesses. I think those juries did the right thing.

Sounds like the cops interpreted the evidence in that Chch case of the little girl in an entirely incorrect manner also.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/May/08 10:30am

dhroadie wrote:Think of the kind of people who make up juries. Most "normal" people manage to weasel out of it most of the time. So you're left with sickness beneficiaries, the terminally unemployed, those too stupid to get out of it, students and the elderly.

There was a doctor on the Kahui jury.... Apparently one with significant expertise in head injuries. Clever people capable of making informed decisions do end up on juries. I think the "juries are packed with retards" phenomenon is a myth - I've known loads of clever, responsible people who've served on juries. There's bound to be morons there too, but thats what a jury is all about (A jury is supposed to represent the peers of the accused isn't it?)....
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 10:30am

Stop making sense, Babs! It's freaking me out! :0
Oli

Postby thorg on Thu 29/May/08 11:09am

:pmob: you weren't obscure Oli - just missed my sarcasm :huh:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby dhroadie on Thu 29/May/08 11:17am

Oli wrote: Death AND the Maiden. ;)

Graham Downes taught my brother at Otago and helped produce their album. I thought I knew the song.

Turns out I am a twat :blush:
dhroadie
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Friendly Llama on Thu 29/May/08 11:31am

Oli wrote: It always makes me laugh (in a sad and cynical way) that whenever there is a heinous crime or perceived miscarriage of justice that the talkback forums are flooded with knee-jerk responses.

The fact is that our legal system is pretty good really - back me up here HDC - but that no system is perfect. Hit me with a credible alternative - go on, I dare you.

Look at England - where the crown leads the prosecution and the police are called on just like a witness. Seems like a (better) credible alternative to me :)
Friendly Llama
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 2:17pm

And no innocent person ever goes to jail in England, do they? :eh:
Oli

Postby Slim on Thu 29/May/08 2:27pm

There has to be some element of the cops being retarded in these cases, seems the cops do better when there is no suspects, and they have to do some proper leg work to find the person, rather than the cases that appear to be cut and dried, where they have a suspect and try and to pin it on them, but the evidence will never stack up.

How could they ignore the fact that King was in the vicinity of the Kahui house at the time the kids were killed.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Thu 29/May/08 2:28pm

thorg wrote: :pmob: you weren't obscure Oli - just missed my sarcasm :huh:

Sure I did... ;)
Oli

Postby Jono on Thu 29/May/08 2:35pm

Oli wrote: And nearly ALL justice systems are about punitive rather than rehabilitative sentencing - it's just that we don't shoot or hang the guilty. Name me one country that's main focus is truly on rehabilitation.

Norway. Or maybe it was finland. Either way, it's the example that the sensible sentencing trust prefers to ignore
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts