Results: 2010 R&r Sport Naseby 12hr Challenge

Postby HamishS on Mon 19/Apr/10 9:23am

The results for the 2010 R&R Sport Naseby 12hr Challange have been posted on the Mountainbiking Otago webpage

As in previous years the race was sold out several weeks after it was open for entry. We managed to fit 790 competitors and their support crew into the Naseby camp ground, and with most people staying overnight it made for a real festival atmosphere. The 211 teams and solo riders clocked up 4218 laps around the 10.3km course. All up people rode a total of 43445km which is more then once around the world!

The Naseby 12hr Challenge is organised and run by volunteers from Mountainbiking Otago. The profits from the event go into developing mountainbike tracks in the Otago area. Please go to http://www.mountainbikingotago.co.nz to view information about the club and what we do. You can also sign up for a free newsletter, and if you're a Dunedin local, please show your support by becoming a club member.

Recent Dunedin trail projects include:
- A $25k four-cross track on Signal Hill (intermediate-advanced)
- The Switchback Track up Leith Valley(intermediate)
- The Redwood loop through McGouns Bush above Ross Creek (beginner).

Feedback from the event is welcomed. Please email it to naseby12hr@mountainbikingotago.co.nz

Results Summary

Top solo rider was Mark Williams from Queenstown who completed 24 laps, finishing just 4 minutes before the 12hr cutoff. Mark was 18th overall and was followed home by David Drake and John Mezger both from Wanaka, on 23 and 22 laps respectively.

First Solo Single-Speed rider was Tristan Rawlence from Dunedin who completed 22 laps, making him the 3rd solo rider home. Anja Mcdonald came second in the single-speed class with 21 laps. Anja was also the first solo woman and was 5th solo overall.

First in the Solo Woman's class was Denise Thorn from Alexandra with 19 laps, followed by Susan Todd from Queenstown on 17 laps.

The first team overall was CSI from Invercargill (Steve Wilson, Chris O Connor, Scott Hodges, Reon Carroll, Ryan Cull), completing 27 laps in 11:41:12. Ryan clocked the fastest full lap of the day - a blistering 0:24:09. Team Cyclery (Thomas Prestige, Craig Atwill, Oliver Whalley, Simon Coventry, Craig Tregurtha) from Timaru came in a close second only 0:02:28 back.

First Veterans Mens team and 4th overall was the Grumpy Old Men (Blair Stuthridge, Julian McPike, Mark Chapple, Mark Minehan, Craig Phillips) who did 26 laps and finished 4th overall.

First mixed team was Racers Edge (Lucy Fullerton, Jon Andrews, Angela Mote, Hamish Fraser) from Wanaka with 24 laps and 14th overall.

The South Canterbury SEALS from Timaru were the first Junior team home, with Andrew McKerchar, Fabian Wilbrow-Obrien, Cameron Fitzgerald, Jacob Stuthridge and Bradley Chandler completing 24 laps and coming 16th overall.

The first Veteran Mixed team was the Go Betweens from Christchurch (John Crombie, Russell Humphries, Annie Crombie, Ged Sutton, Di Blakely) with 23 laps.

The first Womans team was G Force from Timaru on 21 laps (Nicola Howes, Emma Prestidge, Rachel Richards, Sandra Hunt).

The first Family Team was Slice of Heaven from Ranfurly on 21 laps (Philip Dowling, Andrew Dowling, Brendan Dowling, Mark Pettit, Jo Dowling.
HamishS
Member for: 14 years 11 months

2010 R&r Sport Naseby 12hr Challenge - Photos

Postby HamishS on Tue 20/Apr/10 7:08am

John Fridd from Skidpix was taking photos at the event. For photo proofs, email him at
jfridd@xtra.co.nz quoting bike number and bike or clothing identifiers.

Some examples are in the MBO Image Gallery
HamishS
Member for: 14 years 11 months

XCwife
"sunny side up"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Results: 2010 R&r Sport Naseby 12hr Challenge

Postby avantibill on Wed 21/Apr/10 10:42pm

Some spectacular photos there XCwife. The ones taken above the riders looking down onto the Hoffmans dam look awesome. I also like the panned shots thru the forest :thumbsup:

So far I seem to be elusive of the camera lens, if anyone managed to take a pic of #779, plz PM me

Cheers

Bill
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby XCwife on Thu 22/Apr/10 7:02pm

Thanks Bill,

Sorry I seemed to have missed you. Are you sure you were there? ;)

I liked the Dam photos too, unfortunately my memory cards were full when I was there and I was desperately trying to delete photos from earlier in the day so that I could take more there.
XCwife
"sunny side up"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby avantibill on Fri 23/Apr/10 9:12pm

I also like to say thanks to Hamish who spent a 12 solid hours recording each individual lap times, Craig for spending about 12 months preparing the Naseby 12 Hour, the rest of MBO (myself excluded as I was competing ) Red Cross for keeping an eye on out for our well being. Larchview Holiday Park for put us up for 2 -3 days, Ernslaw One for letting us ride in the forest, the sponsors, the residents of Naseby and all the others I have unintentionally omitted to make this event possible. Top class event 5 star ***** :) :love: :thumbsup:
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Dunedin | Event Results | Events | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | Naseby | New Zealand | Otago | Regions - Latest Posts