Re: Results: 2010 Nz Cup - Round 2 - Dunedin - Crosscountry

Postby Cabin on Mon 18/Jan/10 9:23am

dented wrote:Why is there so much concern over only 3 elites? Did those 3 really wish there were a lot more racing? What is the point of having 30 also-rans competing when there is only room for 3 on the podium?

Because if you invest time effort (and $) into advancing your racing you want to become the best you can be... and therefore you surely want to race strong and competitive fields. You want to have to earn it. If you genuinely want to be the best you can be, then a top 3 when there is only 3 people competing is pretty hollow
Cabin
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby dented on Mon 18/Jan/10 9:27am

What if those 3 are the best in the country anyway?
dented
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Cabin on Mon 18/Jan/10 9:41am

dented wrote:What if those 3 are the best in the country anyway?

Because how are we to know at any one time who the best three are? XC racing in NZ is a lot healthier than 3 riders. There are probably 10 riders capable of being NZ top #3 on their day. While their are 20 capable of being top 10. It is racing that allows these racing skills to develop and progress. Its MTB. Results can't be predicted by a lab test, and results will vary on differing tracks and as an athlete develops.

An event environment needs to be created where the best 10, 20, 30 all race each other. In January a least, you get a much higher quality of field at the Summer N-Duro's. The costs and timing of competition needs to be adjusted to ensure this happens.

Brendon's suggestions of fewer national races, spread over a longer time frame, makes sense to me. Maybe 4 races only over 3 months?

In that scenario there is less likely to be event clashes. There can be more focussed marketing and thus actually make a big deal of these events in the towns that host them (school visits, in town promotions etc...), making it a more attractive proposition for athletes, media, and sponsors (eventually = a product that actually has some marketing value = prizemoney, media, sponsors etc...).

At the Elite level, how about an Oceania Super Series? Two races each in Aussie and NZ. Each countries two events on consecutive weekends, with a month break between. All races with good level UCI points, and therefore prizemoney. Lots more riders. Higher level of racing. More media..... etc....etc....

As I posted earlier. Direct all concerns and constructive suggestions directly to MTBNZ.

Thats enough from me.
Cabin
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 18/Jan/10 12:33pm

Paying to enter and on top having to pay more for a license and there's zero prizes, zero spot prizes, zero feed afterwards is never going to attract large numbers of also ran type riders. It will only attract those wanting to test themsleves against the best.
UK_Exile
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jan/10 1:49pm

And maybe the name SI/NI cup will put off some people, it sounds very serious and competitive.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Mon 18/Jan/10 2:08pm

For me to race at Living Springs for the day I had to pay $80 for my elite licence and then $55 entry fees for the race. Makes doing a one off race pretty expensive.
JUANGEAR
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jan/10 2:39pm

JUANGEAR wrote:For me to race at Living Springs for the day I had to pay $80 for my elite licence and then $55 entry fees for the race. Makes doing a one off race pretty expensive.

You recon your still Elite do you :sly: you could have lowered your sights and raced with us lowlifes - some of us were actually quiet fast :) not me though :(
RHR_Rob

Postby BiteMe on Mon 18/Jan/10 2:50pm

Don't forget the large Master 1 field. I can tell you now the Nats in Wellies are going to have some decent size fields. full of bushlove
BiteMe
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby JUANGEAR on Mon 18/Jan/10 2:59pm

RHR_Rob wrote:
JUANGEAR wrote:For me to race at Living Springs for the day I had to pay $80 for my elite licence and then $55 entry fees for the race. Makes doing a one off race pretty expensive.

You recon your still Elite do you :sly: you could have lowered your sights and raced with us lowlifes - some of us were actually quiet fast :) not me though :(

I take some time off training and serious racing and you want me to hand over my elite licence? I worked quite hard to get that. Jeebers, talk about make me bite.. :lol:
JUANGEAR
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 18/Jan/10 5:36pm

Could have just paid $10 for a day license arther than $80 for season if only planning on Living Springs only ? Still seems dumb to need a license at all. But then suppose national organisation needs to get $ from somewhere.
UK_Exile
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby D2 on Mon 18/Jan/10 7:34pm

Be careful .......JUANGEAR has some fans out here. He did GOOD!
and could the "lowlifes" and other morning critters have done 7 laps?
D2
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jan/10 10:28pm

D2 wrote:Be careful .......JUANGEAR has some fans out here. He did GOOD!
and could the "lowlifes" and other morning critters have done 7 laps?

Course we could have done 7 laps!

I would have done the other 3 after lunch :D
RHR_Rob

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Event Results | Events | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts