Re: Replacing Double Height Car Stereos?

Postby mark2c on Wed 26/Aug/09 10:48am

spg wrote:Having put a usb fronted stereo in my car earlier this year I have to say it's great. One thing to watch is where the usb stick will end up pointing - mine sits close to the knee when driving and I have knocked it out a couple of times pulling stuff across the car from the passengers seat. One which connects to the back via an extension and stuck in the pocket underneath (I replaced a double DIN unit with headunit+pocket) would be perfect.

8GB runs fine on my Sony and the browser works quick enough too, but the scroling display isn't so easy to read. The Pioneer one loked better (but was lots more $$ and no bluetooth streaming - which actually sounds pretty damn good from my Walkman!). All up streaming wins for long journeys with passengers and if you want to more easily switch tracks etc as the range means people can use it like a remote without arsing with wires.

There are some great little micro SDHC adapters that don't even look like a USB stick and don't protrude. 16GB for $120. And most of the stereos now will play uncompressed WAV files for those of us who believe they can hear the difference in a car between WAVs and high bit rate MP3s.

This is the one I've got - Kawau SDHC adapter from Dealextreme.com
Kawau_World_s_Sm_4a1d43f5ec3bf.jpg
The microSDHC card actually sits in the connector!
Last edited by mark2c on Thu 27/Aug/09 7:50am, edited 2 times in total.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Aug/09 10:59am

While we're talking car stereos, the door speakers in ma legacy are fuxxored.
Is there anything specific that I need to know (specs etc) before I purchase replacements? My current plan is as follows:

1. Remove door panels.
2. Remove existing speaker.
3. Measure speaker, hole, and clearance to door panel.
4. Purchase new speakers which will fit in said hole.
5. Install new speakers.

Is there anything obvious that I need to know which I haven't listed here? (I'm thinking voltages, wattages etc). The head unit is the factory Kenwood/Subie double DIN spaced tape/CD jobbie - not running any amps etc.

I'm not looking for a mega upgrade here, just to get me back to not having a borked speaker sound as soon as I hit any decent volume.
Any recommendations for a fairly standard speaker which would suit my needs?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby mark2c on Wed 26/Aug/09 11:22am

The legacys have a separate tweeter up high (known as 'component' speakers) and it is good to keep this arrangement as tweeters down low suck.

Speakers in cars take a hammering because of the massive deflections that occur every time someone slams the doors. Given most stock speakers use paper cones they rapidly go past their use-by date.

Suggest kevlar cones with rubber(ish) bellows. Watch out for the window control arms, if the speaker is too big they foul and break things.

Good luck.

For my pug I had to import decent door speakers that are shallow by having the magnetics on the front (aka the pain of owning euro cars).
Last edited by mark2c on Thu 27/Aug/09 7:51am, edited 2 times in total.
mark2c

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Aug/09 11:29am

mark2c wrote:The legacys have a separate tweeter up high (known as 'component' speakers) and it is good to keep this arrangement as tweeters down low suck.

Speakers in cars take a hammering because of the massive deflections that occur every time someone slams the doors. Given most stock speakers use paper cones they rapidly go past their use-by date.

Suggest kevlar cones with rubber(ish) bellows. Watch out for the window control arms, if the speaker is too big the foul and break things.

Good luck.

For my pug I had to import decent door speakers that are shallow by having the magnetics on the front (aka the pain of euro cars).

Cheers - yip got the separate tweeters mounted kind of through the window from the mirror (if that makes sense) and in the rear pilllars (wagon) as well - these all seem to be working just fine still.

Also - I'm guessing that any fancy looking cover plates/mesh etc are removable for when installing behind the factory door panels? (these seem toadd a lot of depth to the speaker itself).
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby mark2c on Wed 26/Aug/09 12:20pm

Speaker depth, both front and rear, is the issue. Personally I'd try to keep the original grills.
mark2c

Cars | Motoring | Music | Sifting | Tama's Random Ramblings | Vogs - Latest Posts