Re: Replacing Double Height Car Stereos?

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:53pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
fitting a headunit is easy

As easy as building a bike wheel, I'm guessing. I have zero experience in both.

IMHO easier than building a bike wheel
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 21/Aug/09 10:05pm

ryda wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
Spokes wrote:
I just want to be able to play CDs, Im going to be spending more time in the car soon. Will the electric aerial still work?

The noise of the supercharger gets to you after a while so a CD would go well with it.

If you wire it up right, yes the electric aerial will work, my Silvia had an electric aerial and yup it worked, the aerial will be one more wire to wire up

yep just goto repco's or you local car audio shop as you should be able to buy adapter leads so its just a plug in job, gone are the days of the 10way terminal blocks hiding in the dash

Dont think my CD sony thing has plugs, just wires.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sat 22/Aug/09 8:40am

You could even cut yourself some flat piece of carbon to use a spacer in there
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 22/Aug/09 8:49am

Spokes wrote:
ryda wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
Spokes wrote:
I just want to be able to play CDs, Im going to be spending more time in the car soon. Will the electric aerial still work?

The noise of the supercharger gets to you after a while so a CD would go well with it.

If you wire it up right, yes the electric aerial will work, my Silvia had an electric aerial and yup it worked, the aerial will be one more wire to wire up

yep just goto repco's or you local car audio shop as you should be able to buy adapter leads so its just a plug in job, gone are the days of the 10way terminal blocks hiding in the dash

the wires are on a removable plug, and the car specific adapter takes its place.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Chickenman on Sat 22/Aug/09 8:49am

Spokes wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:No stereo (sounds) is so nice :D .....I drove my VW Beetle to work today.
Its still got the radio blanking plate in it that the factory fitted in 1967

:thumbsup: The sound of the semi in tune aircooled 1300 (1640 big bore) throbbing behind me.

IMHO, there is only one kind of engine that you want instead of a stereo, thats an N/A Rotary ;)

You are sooo wrong. V8. Nuf said.

Nah I'm a Boxer man myself, rotorys sound heinous, and V8 is too mid life crisis for me.

*moves as far away as possible from the exploding open can of worms I just unleashed*
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby ryda on Sat 22/Aug/09 8:59am

Chickenman wrote:
Spokes wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:No stereo (sounds) is so nice :D .....I drove my VW Beetle to work today.

:thumbsup: The sound of the semi in tune aircooled 1300 (1640 big bore) throbbing behind me.

IMHO, there is only one kind of engine that you want instead of a stereo, thats an N/A Rotary ;)

Nah I'm a Boxer man myself, rotorys sound heinous, and V8 is too mid life crisis for me.

*moves as far away as possible from the exploding open can of worms I just unleashed*
YZ490 with a ProCircuit barrel and pipe FTW
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 22/Aug/09 9:02am

Chickenman wrote:
Spokes wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

I will say the same for Subaru's take on Boxxer, I would own a V8, long long before I owned a suby.

But hey thats the joy's of life, thankfully we all like different things, the world would be pretty dull if we all liked the same stuff
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 22/Aug/09 9:04am

IDM .12 @39000rpm yehaaa :satan:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 22/Aug/09 9:07am

Chickenman wrote:
Spokes wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

Meh, I could fit your subby in my boot and still have room for Beer.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 22/Aug/09 10:54am

slidecontrol wrote:
Spokes wrote:
ryda wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
Spokes wrote:

the wires are on a removable plug, and the car specific adapter takes its place.

:) There is a business in Penrose (on Captain Springs road) that has those adapters. I've been in there twice this year and got them. Tell them the car and the stereo and they're bound to come up with the correct plug to plug set up for about $50.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sun 23/Aug/09 10:33am

grahamt wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:Hey, while we're on this subject, I want to upgrade the stereo in the Subaru. Its got the standard one in it presently (i.e. the one that came in the car).

the particular feature i am looking for is I want a front USB port on it so I can put a 16G flashdrive in the slot and bobs your auntie.

I also want decent speakers and maybe an amplifier.

Not interested in DIY-ing. Where do I go in Chur chur and what do I buy.

What model Subaru? Ive got a current shape Outback. They have an integrated aircon/stereo unit. To fit an aftermarket stereo you need to replace the whole centre fascia panel including aircon controls. The panel costs about $700 so isn't cheap. I've replaced mine and now have a new head unit with aux input / usb input for ipod/mp3/flash drive and bluetooth hands free phone built in. Pauls Car Audio in Fitzgerald Ave fitted it.

I've used it with the USB port and flash drive - however think that using an mp3 player through the aux input is more user friendly for navigating tracks.

ours is an 04 Impreza. Will take it in to see what they say. I have a Belkin transmitter and its good out of town, not so good in town. Plus my iPod is pretty old and small. and I own a bunch of flashdrives (or did.... I am down to only two... but I am sure they will come back)
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby neels on Sun 23/Aug/09 11:24am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote: :) There is a business in Penrose (on Captain Springs road) that has those adapters. I've been in there twice this year and got them. Tell them the car and the stereo and they're bound to come up with the correct plug to plug set up for about $50.

They sell them a repco too, I just replaced the double height stereo in my terrano with a nice JVC mp3 unit, and bought adapter plugs from repco for about $15 each. You just get plugs to suit the car and the stereo and stick them together. The only downside is that they make a loooong wiring loom for the stereo, I chopped the ends off and soldered them together to make it about 2 inches long instead. They sell cd pockets to fit the hole for about $30 that fit most standard stereo mountings.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby spg on Tue 25/Aug/09 11:01pm

Having put a usb fronted stereo in my car earlier this year I have to say it's great. One thing to watch is where the usb stick will end up pointing - mine sits close to the knee when driving and I have knocked it out a couple of times pulling stuff across the car from the passengers seat. One which connects to the back via an extension and stuck in the pocket underneath (I replaced a double DIN unit with headunit+pocket) would be perfect.

8GB runs fine on my Sony and the browser works quick enough too, but the scroling display isn't so easy to read. The Pioneer one loked better (but was lots more $$ and no bluetooth streaming - which actually sounds pretty damn good from my Walkman!). All up streaming wins for long journeys with passengers and if you want to more easily switch tracks etc as the range means people can use it like a remote without arsing with wires.
spg
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Tue 25/Aug/09 11:15pm

pushbikerider wrote:MP3 sucks!

pushbikerider wrote:I'm using a Belkin unit in the work car with my I-pod at the mo

Oh yup.

I know I know, work car... ;)
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 26/Aug/09 6:53am

Conners wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:MP3 sucks!

pushbikerider wrote:I'm using a Belkin unit in the work car with my I-pod at the mo

Oh yup.

I know I know, work car... ;)

:blush:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Cars | Motoring | Music | Sifting | Tama's Random Ramblings | Vogs - Latest Posts