Re: Replacing Double Height Car Stereos?

Postby zephyrheaven on Fri 21/Aug/09 7:32pm

In chur chur go see the fella's at craigs car audio on fitz ave near where channel X used to be. new JVC headunits are the shizzle, excellent quality units and far out perform much larger dollar'ed ones. matched to a good pair of 6X9's i dont even miss a 1000W amp and two 12" subs in our last car LOL
zephyrheaven
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 7:37pm

zephyrheaven wrote:In chur chur go see the fella's at craigs car audio on fitz ave near where channel X used to be. new JVC headunits are the shizzle, excellent quality units and far out perform much larger dollar'ed ones. matched to a good pair of 6X9's i dont even miss a 1000W amp and two 12" subs in our last car LOL

a 1000W amp should only power 1 good 12", its probably why you don't miss it ;)

I miss my Rockford amp for my voice speakers, and I miss my 6" fronts (damn 'rolla with only 4" mouts and I just can't be F^@$#d fibreglassing my doors)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 21/Aug/09 8:34pm

No stereo (sounds) is so nice :D .....I drove my VW Beetle to work today.
Its still got the radio blanking plate in it that the factory fitted in 1967

:thumbsup: The sound of the semi in tune aircooled 1300 (1640 big bore) throbbing behind me.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 8:37pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:No stereo (sounds) is so nice :D .....I drove my VW Beetle to work today.

:thumbsup: The sound of the semi in tune aircooled 1300 (1640 big bore) throbbing behind me.

IMHO, there is only one kind of engine that you want instead of a stereo, thats an N/A Rotary ;)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Spokes on Fri 21/Aug/09 8:45pm

pushbikerider wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:No stereo (sounds) is so nice :D .....I drove my VW Beetle to work today.

IMHO, there is only one kind of engine that you want instead of a stereo, thats an N/A Rotary ;)

You are sooo wrong. V8. Nuf said.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 21/Aug/09 8:47pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:...
the particular feature i am looking for is I want a front USB port on it so I can put a 16G flashdrive in the slot and bobs your auntie.

These look like a much much much cheaper option that replacing the entire unit.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12753
There are quite a few different sorts of the same thing.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 8:49pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:...
the particular feature i am looking for is I want a front USB port on it so I can put a 16G flashdrive in the slot and bobs your auntie.

These look like a much much much cheaper option that replacing the entire unit.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12753
There are quite a few different sorts of the same thing.

I'm using a Belkin unit in the work car with my I-pod at the mo, and to be honest, Radio transmitters suck, especially when in residential / commercial area's,

new H/U, FTW
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Spokes on Fri 21/Aug/09 8:52pm

Hey, how hard would it be to put my sony cd head unit into my Holden? Its still got the stock cassette player in it. stock speakers would be fine
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:00pm

Spokes wrote:Hey, how hard would it be to put my sony cd head unit into my Holden? Its still got the stock cassette player in it. stock speakers would be fine

Should be pretty easy, But I found the stock speakers in my car were pretty below average, Unless you have some good ones already fitted.
I have a sony head unit, two sony 6" in the doors, and two standard 6" (or might even be 4") in the boot pillars, I'll eventually get around to fitting the rest of the speakers and amp to my car :lol:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:04pm

like bob said, pretty easy.
if you know how to read a multimeter or at least a test lamp you should be fine.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:05pm

Mr_Bob wrote:
Spokes wrote:Hey, how hard would it be to put my sony cd head unit into my Holden? Its still got the stock cassette player in it. stock speakers would be fine

Should be pretty easy, But I found the stock speakers in my car were pretty below average, Unless you have some good ones already fitted.
I have a sony head unit, two sony 6" in the doors, and two standard 6" (or might even be 4") in the boot pillars, I'll eventually get around to fitting the rest of the speakers and amp to my car :lol:

I just want to be able to play CDs, Im going to be spending more time in the car soon. Will the electric aerial still work?

The noise of the supercharger gets to you after a while so a CD would go well with it.
Spokes

Postby grahamt on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:12pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Hey, while we're on this subject, I want to upgrade the stereo in the Subaru. Its got the standard one in it presently (i.e. the one that came in the car).

I also want decent speakers and maybe an amplifier.

Not interested in DIY-ing. Where do I go in Chur chur and what do I buy.

What model Subaru? Ive got a current shape Outback. They have an integrated aircon/stereo unit. To fit an aftermarket stereo you need to replace the whole centre fascia panel including aircon controls. The panel costs about $700 so isn't cheap. I've replaced mine and now have a new head unit with aux input / usb input for ipod/mp3/flash drive and bluetooth hands free phone built in. Pauls Car Audio in Fitzgerald Ave fitted it.

I've used it with the USB port and flash drive - however think that using an mp3 player through the aux input is more user friendly for navigating tracks.
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:13pm

Spokes wrote:
I just want to be able to play CDs, Im going to be spending more time in the car soon. Will the electric aerial still work?

The noise of the supercharger gets to you after a while so a CD would go well with it.

If you wire it up right, yes the electric aerial will work, my Silvia had an electric aerial and yup it worked, the aerial will be one more wire to wire up

fitting a headunit is easy
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:46pm

pushbikerider wrote:

As easy as building a bike wheel, I'm guessing. I have zero experience in both.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby ryda on Fri 21/Aug/09 9:48pm

pushbikerider wrote:
Spokes wrote:

If you wire it up right, yes the electric aerial will work, my Silvia had an electric aerial and yup it worked, the aerial will be one more wire to wire up

yep just goto repco's or you local car audio shop as you should be able to buy adapter leads so its just a plug in job, gone are the days of the 10way terminal blocks hiding in the dash
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cars | Motoring | Music | Sifting | Tama's Random Ramblings | Vogs - Latest Posts