Replacement Fork For Scott Spark

Postby matnz on Sun 5th Aug 4:13pm

I blame Dougal.... he posted about Old fox's being worn out recently on another Scott Spark thread, a couple of weeks later I clean my bike.....

I have a Scott Spark 2011, well loved, used and abused, but pretty well maintained. Fox Float 32 - stanchion worn out. Love the bike but given its 26" and 8 years old and geometries have changed, there is a lot to be said about retiring it.

Options
- New Bike - boss wants to take kids on a cruise next year..... Shame, they would miss out...

- New fork - Straight steerer, 26" 9mm QR, 120mm forks appear to be unicorn poo, especially affordable ones (bikes worth no more than a grand on a good day). Thinking I could put a 100mmtravel 27.5" and loose a bit to travel but keep the same geometry to keep cost down, but I don't want to loose too much on the Fox. Also it's just not right to put Suntour on a Carbon Scott....

- Used forks comes to mind... if I got a used ones that lasted a year or two for a couple of hundy, might get me though till kids have finished uni and I have some readies for option 1....

- Ride it till its well dead..... How long before I post back here without this option?

Not to fussed about keeping the twin lock remote lockout, don;t use it locked out much anyways.....

Thoughts?
matnz
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Re: Replacement Fork For Scott Spark

Postby Dougal on Sun 5th Aug 4:38pm

Everyone blames me, but I can take it! :cool:

I've got new fork options in that configuration. Email us monday and I'll let you know the damage.

To fix the fork properly is new CSU, new air shaft (because they changed form coil negative to air negative), new bushings, new seals and labour. Gets you within a few hundred bucks of a new fork.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby el_booto on Sun 5th Aug 7:15pm

Whats the headtube ID? If it's a 44mm you could adapt to tapered with an external lower cup.

That would open you up to sourcing a second hand fork in your required spec off trademe/Facebook etc.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 6th Aug 10:14am

el_booto wrote:Whats the headtube ID? If it's a 44mm you could adapt to tapered with an external lower cup.

That would open you up to sourcing a second hand fork in your required spec off trademe/Facebook etc.

External cup, pfftt...... this is still the only suggestion:http://www.vorb.org.nz/talas-about-t124949.html

I heard there was a guy who welds containers for a living in Christchurch. Reckons he can weld carbon too. Piece of piss....
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Cycling - Latest Posts