Repainting A Carbon Fork

Postby Scotty on Sun 2/Aug/15 6:48pm

My bike is gonna get some love from a spray can. ROUGH love.

Question, I've seen heaps of different stuff on the web about reapinting carbon forks, my main question is around prep.

Sanding the clear coat with wet and dry to get the shine off the coat - but not to the carbon, then paint.

This sound right to you lot?

Anyone wanna suggest what they'd use for paint? A lot of the overseas sites have foreign products that sound weird.

Danke.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Repainting A Carbon Fork

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 2/Aug/15 9:28pm

That sounds about right for process, just enough sanding to help the paint stick

Either generic matt black or dazzle yellow
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Scotty on Mon 3/Aug/15 6:22am

It will be Matt Black. I was throwing around enduro orange or green at one stage.
Scotty

Postby Rik on Mon 3/Aug/15 9:19am

Let me understand your goal here.

You have a lovely carbon front fork finished in clear coat. That you want to hide by spraying them matt black to make them look like fake carbon forks.

Look, just because it worked on the bonnet of your '97 Honda Civic doesn't mean you can pull it off on a bike :p

+1 vote for #vorb orange :D
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 3/Aug/15 9:20am

hivis battler orange
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 3/Aug/15 9:39am

Rik wrote:Let me understand your goal here.

You have a lovely carbon front fork finished in clear coat. That you want to hide by spraying them matt black to make them look like fake carbon forks.

Look, just because it worked on the bonnet of your '97 Honda Civic doesn't mean you can pull it off on a bike :p

Just because I don't share your masturbatory roadie love for carbon does not make my colour choice any less valid.

Besides, already painted, doesn't match my frame, hence the paintjob.
Scotty

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 3/Aug/15 1:18pm

But a Jamis fork is WAY nicer than an Avanti fork :p
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 3/Aug/15 9:27pm

It rides nicer, but I just.... everyone seems to think my bikes is crash damaged and i snapped the old fork. :paranoid:
Scotty

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 3/Aug/15 10:25pm

:D
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 4/Aug/15 8:59am

That bike does everything I want it to do, the way I want it done. It's been great. :love:
Scotty

Bicycle Repair | Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | Road Bikes - Latest Posts