Re: Removed From The Gene Pool

Postby Kyle on Sat 7/Feb/09 10:48am

sidlomavpa wrote:It costs on average, as has already been outlined, about 50 grand per year to feed and keep those you may consider worthy of getting the chop.

If your going to break out the maths then check the numbers you are basing it off are correct. Double that figure is closer to the truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison#New_Zealand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department ... ew_Zealand)
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 10:52am

OK so $10.66.. or $40 Wow an astronomical amount for me to spend.... I guess that just blows it all to hell don't it?

Your second link goes to nowhere.. great argument!

You seem, from your links, to be advocating the execution of the whole of the population of our prisons? :thumbsup:
:p
Last edited by sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
sidlomavpa
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby bugle on Sat 7/Feb/09 10:54am

While I dont agree with the death penalty I can think of better things to do with $40 than keep Graham Burton in right shoes...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:00am

Firstly it's not $40 I was being facetious.. and secondly it would not be just for Burton but for all of them it would amount to 10c per person for Burton (working on the facetiously high figure of $40)..
sidlomavpa

Postby Kyle on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:01am

For some reason that link doesn't include the end parenthesis even though it is there.

And I'm not advocating the execution of the entire prison population. Just those convicted of murder, rape, and continued violence. All others get exiled to the Chatham Islands.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:05am

I don't get it, why does it cost so much to keep people in prison? I manage to live on far less than $50000 a year.

Yes I know the prison guards and shit have to paid blah blah but it still seems ridiculously high.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:07am

Kyle wrote:For some reason that link doesn't include the end parenthesis even though it is there.
Oh sure it is.... :rolleyes:

And I'm not advocating the execution of the entire prison population. Just those convicted of murder, rape, and continued violence. All others get exiled to the Chatham Islands.

Well that's a relief for recidivist parking offendors!
sidlomavpa

Postby Spokes on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:14am

sidlomavpa wrote:

Why should they get to live??
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:16am

wachtourak wrote:I don't get it, why does it cost so much to keep people in prison? I manage to live on far less than $50000 a year.

Yes I know the prison guards and shit have to paid blah blah but it still seems ridiculously high.

I think that unless we adopted the Thai model we'd never get the cost down due to our ongoing hope for rehabilitation for some prisoners, if all we wanted to do is lock em up and keep them there indefinitely then I believe it would be easy to keep costs down as they do in Thailand by making the prisoners and family responsible for their upkeep.

But we let folk out very very quickly by comparison so it's probably better that we try and implement (costly) programmes whilst they are incarcerated to make them (very hopefully) less likely to re-offend... :rolleyes: Who knows how well that works? Though i'd imagine the rate of recidivism would be higher if we didn't try.
sidlomavpa

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:17am

Spokes wrote:
sidlomavpa wrote:

Why should they get to live??

Are they really living?
sidlomavpa

Postby bugle on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:20am

wachtourak wrote:I don't get it, why does it cost so much to keep people in prison? I manage to live on far less than $50000 a year.

infastructure = cost

prisoners are infrastructure intensive
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 7/Feb/09 11:20am

sidlomavpa wrote:
I think that unless we adopted the Thai model we'd never get the cost down due to our ongoing hope for rehabilitation for some prisoners, if all we wanted to do is lock em up and keep them there indefinitely then I believe it would be easy to keep costs down as they do in Thailand by making the prisoners and family responsible for their upkeep.

Sounds good to me, when can we start?

We could outsource it. Telecom have contacts for that.........
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 7/Feb/09 1:41pm

Can we also bring in the death penalty for recidivist post-retards round here. It'd get my vote!
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby avantibill on Sat 7/Feb/09 2:06pm

CrustyMTB wrote:Can we also bring in the death penalty for recidivist post-retards round here. It'd get my vote!

:paranoid:
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 7/Feb/09 4:41pm

CrustyMTB wrote:Can we also bring in the death penalty for recidivist post-retards round here. It'd get my vote!

Feeling suicidal are you? ;)
sidlomavpa

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts