Removal Of Box Drains Up Aratihi

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sat 9/Jun/12 5:13pm

Anyone know why they have been removed? Find it kinda annoying that there are all these little dips up the first 1/3.

I know nothing about track building, but won't they form ruts over winter?
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Removal Of Box Drains Up Aratihi

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 9/Jun/12 5:25pm

Hey, I know who is doing it but since I aen' seen their work I can comment much. Box drains are used by some builders not others. I'm in the not others camp. I find they just fill up with stone/dirt and become a maintenance issue. A much stronger concept is to outslope the whole track so water runs off. It also looks better. The dips will probably have the same idea. Aratihi is quite steep in the first third section, also high use so getting rid of the water is a challenge.
thelongwalk
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby properzel on Sat 9/Jun/12 7:59pm

Nice one, that made me read up on that stuff.

In technical terms it's called grade reversals, creates sheet-slow and helps drain your trail (read more).

If those guys are build properly, they look like:

Normally quite nice to ride, up and down the track. I can't comment on the Aratihi lower bit, but when built a bit too hectic, they can be a little flow-interruptive..
properzel
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby mark2c on Sat 9/Jun/12 8:35pm

The new drains currently on the de-rutted sections of Aratihi are not final - they are big and deep to clear water from the currently soft track. They will be finessed later.

The box drains weren't working well and required much maintenance to keep them clear due to the steep grade. The plan is for subtle grade reversals to shed the water.
mark2c
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sun 10/Jun/12 12:09am

Sweet - thanks for the info.

Was finding that they interrupted flow (but that could also be due to the fact that I'm less fit that usual).
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Lower North Island | Makara Peak | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts