This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

(relatively) Bargain Titanium

Postby dragon_style on Tue 1/Nov/05 11:14pm

dragon_style
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Stun on Tue 1/Nov/05 11:19pm

But you do get what you pay for...
There's ti - and then there's ti...
Stun
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Wed 2/Nov/05 7:02am

Mmmmm....

Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Dazzle on Wed 2/Nov/05 10:44am

Stun wrote:But you do get what you pay for...

Then there is stuff custom built to your size, welded by chinese cold war aeronautic ti fabricaters that have probably done more ti tube welding in a week than your average american ti bike builder has done in a lifetime.

I know of someone that is getting a road/track bike (ie a ti courier bike) from these people. He gets measured up soon, and i'll let you know what it looks like when he gets it.
Dazzle
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 2/Nov/05 12:15pm

625 quid is not cheap.... its about $2000NZD so equivalent to Airborne/Flyte etc.

I looked into this pretty carefully last year, and the best price/perceived quality option I could come up with was TST who make Cove and Mongoose etc Ti bikes.

Now Ti is unfashionable, it should get cheaper.

Let me just say that my Ti hardtail (currently set up rigid single speed) is still the most "comfortable" and best handling bike I own. it jsut feels right, man.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby danose on Wed 2/Nov/05 12:45pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:625 quid is not cheap.... its about $2000NZD so equivalent to Airborne/Flyte etc.

I looked into this pretty carefully last year, and the best price/perceived quality option I could come up with was TST who make Cove and Mongoose etc Ti bikes.

cheaper/nicer than Habanero (www.habcycles.com)?
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Stun on Wed 2/Nov/05 12:50pm

Dazzle wrote:
Stun wrote:But you do get what you pay for...

Then there is stuff custom built to your size, welded by chinese cold war aeronautic ti fabricaters that have probably done more ti tube welding in a week than your average american ti bike builder has done in a lifetime.

I know of someone that is getting a road/track bike (ie a ti courier bike) from these people. He gets measured up soon, and i'll let you know what it looks like when he gets it.

How about custom ti - using top quality tubing?
Buam (or Baum... I can never remember) are custom builders operating out of Aussie.
They'll do steal, alloy, ti... and I think they may even do carbon custom bikes for you.
From folding MTB's with Rohloff rear hubs - to a full ti. singlespeed with Pace carbon forks!
I have never wanted a single speed until I saw one of their bikes :thumbsup:
Oh - and talking to the guy who owns the company / designs the bikes / welds them together... he reckoned there's a big difference re: quality of ti. tubing.
Don't go for the cheap stuff!
Stun

Postby james on Wed 2/Nov/05 12:55pm

Stun wrote:Buam (or Baum... I can never remember) are custom builders operating out of Aussie.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/ ... s/DSCN6701 :cool:
james
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Stun on Wed 2/Nov/05 12:59pm

That was the exact bike I was talking about!
I rode it on demo day - very nice!

They now have a ti. seatpost on it.
Apparently, it's 2 years old, but it still looks as good the day it was welded, so they bring it out every year for the show!

I've got a piccie somewhere else on Vorb...
(Oh - and that's a steel bike)
Stun

- Latest Posts