Reign 2 V Trance X1

Postby sarah104 on Tue 27/Mar/12 5:16pm

Hi

I am new to the New Zealand mountain bike scene but spent abit of time downhilling in Fernie, Canada. Keen to keep downhilling and also getting into more trail riding...did the bridge to knowhere trail recently and it was awesome! So pretty much keen to buy 1 bike that can do everything.

So...been looking into the Reign 2 and the Trance X1 and they both look awesome... just wondering if anyone has any experience and preference / advice on what they would recommend?

Thanks so much!

Sarah
sarah104
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Re: Reign 2 V Trance X1

Postby jo on Tue 27/Mar/12 6:32pm

Depends if you're more at the DH/All Mtn end of the riding spectrum or the trail end :ib:
If you're going to regularly need 6" of travel, go the Reign. If not, the Trance is a mighty fine bicycle.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 27/Mar/12 6:41pm

:withstupid:

I think the Reign is a better all-rounder however, I like smashing the downs but want to be able to ride to the top and I'd go a Reign for sure. Seems like a decent spec for the money.

Kona Tanuki Deluxe would be another option, for same price as the Reign you get a 10SP Deore/SLX/XT Drivetrain and Easton wheels, better brakes, comparable forks etc...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby wuffy on Tue 27/Mar/12 7:00pm

But you'd be getting an inferior performing platform both and down so its a bit of a tradeoff.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby mr splodge on Tue 27/Mar/12 8:33pm

I recently bought a Reign 1. The Kona Tenuki Delux was on my shortlist but I was discouraged by the own-brand proprietry rear shock (amongst other things). It's probably fine but you never know how long, and in how many places you'll be able to get replacement seals etc.

Took the Reign on a 60k XC ride around the Wellington hills weekend before last so I can confirm you'll be alright if you want to do that kind of thing. Probabaly would have been faster on a lighter bike but I wasn't worrying about my choice of bike at the time. It was fine.
mr splodge
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby alishock on Tue 27/Mar/12 8:56pm

I have been thinking about the Tanuki, but want more travel and the rear shock is something I would look to replace. However, cant seem to get past the stumpy fsr for overall package. A little more seems to get fox components and x9 mech etc
alishock
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby VERT on Tue 27/Mar/12 10:30pm

I love my Trance X, I put 140mm forks on it to make it a bit more downhill friendly and to slacken out the Steep head angle and the bike feels great (I am not sure why they dont sell Trance's with 140mm Forks).

I have no probs riding most things with my Trance, I like the low BB and short rear travel, but I guess it comes down to what you like and want to use the bike for
IMG_0046.jpg
Actually in this photo I am running Talas 150mm forks which were fine but I swapped them for some 140mm Floats
VERT

Postby sarah104 on Wed 28/Mar/12 8:13am

Thanks for all your comments...it is a tricky one...definitely want to be able to rip some downhill and I had 6" of travel on my bike in Canada ... but also want to be able to do day long trail missions too...not sure which way I am leaning at this point...

Going to have a play on both this weekend so will let you know how that goes :)

Thanks again!
sarah104

Postby sarah104 on Wed 28/Mar/12 8:39am

Any thoughts on the Marin East Peak 5.6?
sarah104

Postby Conners on Wed 28/Mar/12 9:00am

wuffy wrote:But you'd be getting an inferior performing platform both and down so its a bit of a tradeoff.

Pffft.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 28/Mar/12 9:09am

sarah104 wrote:Any thoughts on the Marin East Peak 5.6?

Probably a little too short travel, leaning a little to far towards XC for what you want.

Kona Cadabra would be another one to look at, but perhaps a little out of your budget if you were looking at a Reign 2? Hence why I thought of the Tanuki DL.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby whipit on Wed 28/Mar/12 9:37am

Some shops are cutting some good deals on 2012 Lapierre zestys and spiceys (if the new shipment has arrived) at the moment..... But I would say that because I bought one :)
whipit
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby alishock on Wed 28/Mar/12 11:33am

Where did you buy said Lapierre
alishock
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 28/Mar/12 11:38am

Probably Bike Barn Hamilton judging by his location. Very few 2012 Lapierres around though
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby whipit on Wed 28/Mar/12 12:26pm

alishock wrote:Where did you buy said Lapierre

Bikevegas, picked it up from pennyfarthings in Auckland though, they also had a few.
whipit
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts