Postby dented on Wed 10/Dec/08 9:58pm

Sweet! I think tonight is the hottest/muggiest we have had so far (this summer)
dented
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 27/Dec/08 3:43pm

ok folks, I have made good on my threat to come and molest your hill.

first: the setup.

My road bike is my beloved Scott plasma TT bike. not the ideal climbing rig, but its nice and stiff without being too jarring.
gearing, I conceded and put my girly cassette on ( 12-23 ) I normally run an 11-23, mated to a compct crank (50-34 ) makes my cassettes seem less manly don't it?
The other concession to the job at hand was the wheels. I normally do TTs/tris with my deep front and disc rear, a combo that weighs over 3kg with tyres and cassette.
swapped the dead weight out for my AC 420s. much lighter.

second : the excuses.

the main reason I was in Tauranga today was to race the surfbreaker tri.
managed to break the hour after a slow swim and smashing the bike followed by a respectable ( not fast ) run. so maybe the legs were a little fried?

three: results.

drove to the top and coasted down to get a feel for the hill.
set off way too hard, so by the time I hit the flat section in the middle, I wasn't able to produce any real speed, spent the second half hunting for gears trying to keep the cadence up, spending the last 600m or so in the bailout combo.

time: 8:51

props to my partner. She came over and did the tri as well, when she saw the hill and decided to have a go too.

she rode her bike as it was in the tri, cosmic elite front wheel, disc rear . ( her disc is lighter than mine but not by much )

Paula's result, 11:27

pretty damn good if ya ask me.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby steelrider on Sat 27/Dec/08 7:29pm

Good stuff slidecontrol. Thats an awesome time!!

I too had a crack at this today. I was riding my 29er SS with gearing at 32x18. I was puffing at the end of it! Time = 10:53

Updated leaderboard:

slidecontrol 8:51
ryguy 9:41
gibbo 10.13
steelrider 10:53
manton 11:00
Roma 11:17
dented 11.20
Mr_Bob: 11:20
Paula 11:27
fraserb 12.25
normy64 15:04
steelrider
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Joel on Mon 29/Dec/08 11:16am

i am in tg for a couple of days, i will see how much i can suffer on this hill
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 29/Dec/08 11:40am

2.8km according to my bike speedo, so not too much suffering ( depending on how hard you go )
slidecontrol

Postby Joel on Wed 31/Dec/08 4:06pm

well don't do 2x20 threshold intervals before getting to reid rd is a lesson i learnt :( :lol: that hurt.! did two repeats, the first crusie up to see where the finish was. second in anger, or rather in pain.

8.31 for me, tomorrow heading out for a longer ride so might take it easy untill reid rd, so i can see what difference hitting up fresh makes.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Joel on Thu 1/Jan/09 2:37pm

Joel wrote: well don't do 2x20 threshold intervals before getting to reid rd is a lesson i learnt :( :lol: that hurt.! did two repeats, the first crusie up to see where the finish was. second in anger, or rather in pain.

8.31 for me, tomorrow heading out for a longer ride so might take it easy untill reid rd, so i can see what difference hitting up fresh makes.

well no fresh ride for me today, went out but a bit hung over :huh:
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 1/Jan/09 3:18pm

Joel wrote: well don't do 2x20 threshold intervals before getting to reid rd is a lesson i learnt :( :lol: that hurt.! did two repeats, the first crusie up to see where the finish was. second in anger, or rather in pain.

nice work :thumbsup:
slidecontrol

Postby Roma on Thu 1/Jan/09 4:31pm

Fast as! You beat Ash Hough who's the current reigning champion from the Tauranga Road Club trial up there.
Roma
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Joel on Thu 1/Jan/09 5:18pm

Roma wrote:

Fast as! You beat Ash Hough who's the current reigning champion from the Tauranga Road Club trial up there.

nah. those times are on the first page, he did something like a 8.15. i might get close or under if i was fresh. but 8.15 is pretty quick.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby steelrider on Sun 4/Jan/09 7:19pm

Has anyone confirmed where the Tga Road Cycling Club start and finish are? I think they might start at the same place but finish where the gravel road starts.
steelrider

Postby dented on Sun 4/Jan/09 7:25pm

steelrider wrote: Has anyone confirmed where the Tga Road Cycling Club start and finish are? I think they might start at the same place but finish where the gravel road starts.

Start is the same, but the finish is not marked on the road any more. Its about 20m shy of the gravel road, next to a gate in the fence on LHS.
dented
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Reid Road Climbing Times

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 10/Jan/09 8:06pm

went to TGA today to watch the half ironman, as as tradition dictates, the bikes came along and back to reid rd it was. I ran the gps at 100m intervals, so I should be able to draw up an elevation chart ( might redo it at 50m for better resolution )

Updated leaderboard:

joel 8:31
slidecontrol 8:48
gibbo 10.13
Paula 10:52
steelrider 10:53
dented 11.20

fraserb 12.25
slidecontrol

Postby steelrider on Sun 5/Apr/09 9:02pm

Gave it another crack, on a different bike this time . . .

Update:

joel 8:31
slidecontrol 8:48
steelrider (50x18 roadie) 9.57
gibbo 10.13
Paula 10:52
steelrider (32x18 29er) 10:53
dented 11.20
fraserb 12.25
steelrider

Postby normy64 on Wed 3/Jun/09 9:39pm

i think it's about time i improved my position in the table! will give it a go in the next few weeks.
normy64
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Bay of Plenty | Cycling | Middle North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Tauranga - Latest Posts