Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Re: Red Light Exception For Cyclists

Postby happybaboon on Tue 21/Oct/14 8:48pm

That's not news. In Sydney it's been OK for any and all vehicles to go through red lights for at least the past year.

The one caveat being if you get stranded in an intersection due to a light change/traffic buildup you're going to get some MAJOR abuse :huh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby neels on Tue 21/Oct/14 10:19pm

I like to think I obey the intent of red lights, however such places as going across the top of T intersections I see no need to stop on a bicycle.

In the car I tend to ignore those stupid red arrows when nothing is coming the other way at a green light.

I guess I'm going to hell... :satan:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby R+P+K on Wed 22/Oct/14 12:07pm

I take exception the the title of the news article "Paris cyclists given right to break traffic laws". Surely, if it's officially sanctioned then they're not breaking laws at all. They're just excluded from them. A better and more accurate title would be "Paris cyclists given special traffic laws".
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Wed 22/Oct/14 2:18pm

R+P+K wrote:I take exception the the title of the news article "Paris cyclists given right to break traffic laws". Surely, if it's officially sanctioned then they're not breaking laws at all. They're just excluded from them. A better and more accurate title would be "Paris cyclists given special traffic laws".

or "Paris changes traffic light law to acknowledge cyclists"
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby sanspareil on Wed 22/Oct/14 3:39pm

This law applies to all road users in San Francisco .
sanspareil
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 22/Oct/14 8:06pm

neels wrote:I like to think I obey the intent of red lights, however such places as going across the top of T intersections I see no need to stop on a bicycle.

In the car I tend to ignore those stupid red arrows when nothing is coming the other way at a green light.

I guess I'm going to hell... :satan:

Famous last words... I did see ya mate !
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby thorg on Thu 23/Oct/14 12:55pm

neels wrote:I like to think I obey the intent of red lights, however such places as going across the top of T intersections I see no need to stop on a bicycle.
:

Try driving a truck that needs that space to safely make a turn. Had numerous cyclists almost become mobile speed bumps in just that scenario. I may have been in the right, but that won't help me sleep at night. . .
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 26/Oct/14 3:26pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/ass ... ts-in-Chch

Someone needs to tell this guy (is GEOFF SEARLE on here?) that riding through road works/traffic furniture/bridges where the road narrows hard to the left is super dangerous - that's where you take the lane. Esp roadworks - 30kph limit, I can hold that speed EASY on my 20kg commuter bike wif the 32mm tyres and panniers. The verbal abuse you experience will increase.
So too will the nice drivers who wait patiently for literally two seconds, drive past giving you like 2m of space or more, and you give them a real friendly wave. 90% of the time they see the wave and wave back - it's nice.

I admit Geoff's a more assperienced cyclist than I am. But the only way to feel safe on a bike on a road in Sydney is to take the lane (that you're entitled to) as your own (or ride on the footpath). And be ready to punch off peoples wing mirrors and scream at them that they are a cunzor, and that they will either pull over and face you like a man or else they have a tiny wang.
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Sun 26/Oct/14 3:33pm

Also cameras.

Also if you are not already I suggest you grow into a 6ft 1 105kg person with gorilla shoulders like I am. Drivers are yet to take me up on my offer of fisticuffs.

And they only "pull over" when I chase the motherfuckers down :)
happybaboon

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 26/Oct/14 7:56pm

happybaboon wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/cyclists-do-you-feel-safe/10658069/Jerks-the-real-issue-for-cyclists-in-Chch

Someone needs to tell this guy (is GEOFF SEARLE on here?) that riding through road works/traffic furniture/bridges where the road narrows hard to the left is super dangerous - that's where you take the lane. Esp roadworks - 30kph limit, I can hold that speed EASY on my 20kg commuter bike wif the 32mm tyres and panniers. The verbal abuse you experience will increase.
So too will the nice drivers who wait patiently for literally two seconds, drive past giving you like 2m of space or more, and you give them a real friendly wave. 90% of the time they see the wave and wave back - it's nice.

I admit Geoff's a more assperienced cyclist than I am. But the only way to feel safe on a bike on a road in Sydney is to take the lane (that you're entitled to) as your own (or ride on the footpath). And be ready to punch off peoples wing mirrors and scream at them that they are a cunzor, and that they will either pull over and face you like a man or else they have a tiny wang.

But hes a top cyclist... he tells us so :crazy:
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby EoinC on Sun 26/Oct/14 8:18pm

Mickyfinn wrote:
happybaboon wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/cyclists-do-you-feel-safe/10658069/Jerks-the-real-issue-for-cyclists-in-Chch

But hes a top cyclist... he tells us so :crazy:

He didn't describe himself as a top cyclist. He is a competitive cyclist, which you can independently verify.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby peterjdaly on Sun 26/Oct/14 9:25pm

Trouble is, riding through a red light, even across the top of the T, degrades the already tenuous relationship between us and other road users.

When we ask for our rights to be protected, we get laughed at by those who keep seeing cyclists go through red lights.

With rights come responsibilities, like playing by the rules.

Just sayin.
peterjdaly
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby philstar on Mon 27/Oct/14 1:12pm

peterjdaly wrote:Trouble is, riding through a red light, even across the top of the T, degrades the already tenuous relationship between us and other road users.

When we ask for our rights to be protected, we get laughed at by those who keep seeing cyclists go through red lights.

With rights come responsibilities, like playing by the rules.

Just sayin.

that is why the law needs to change to take the wind out of their argument. if it is within the rules for cyclists to go through red lights we will be playing by the rules :)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 27/Oct/14 7:43pm

Avoiding resentment about us getting away with breaking rules would help a bit I reckon.

On the same note the right for middle-aged and older people of unfashionable physique to wear Lycra should be enshrined in law.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts