Recommendations For Bike Rack For Wagon

Postby adikt on Tue 12/Jan/16 7:30pm

So .. I have a M35 Nissan Stagea (the rounder shape one) and need a rack for it as the boss keeps giving me shit when I get mud inside the car.

Problem is, every hatch mount type rack I've come across so far has hooks that need a nice thin, strong metal lip all around the hatch.

The stagea doesn't. Can hook on at the top of the hatch as you would expect, but it has a split glass hatch at top, so can't hook on to the sides, and the bottom of the hatch is some plastic trim that is ~2" thick, so cant hook on there, and its stupid plastic trim & nothing secure all the way down under the bumper as far as any reasonable strap will go. Pics below - obviously not my car cos I'm too lazy to go downstairs and take photos.

I'd rather not go roofmount if possible simply due to the crazy cost (couple hundie for cross bars, then around 2-300 more PER BIKE for a proper frame mount one where I don't have to remove front wheel).

Anyone come across a solution that might suit?

And no, unfortunately no towbar.
stag_boot1.jpg
stag_boot2.jpg
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Re: Recommendations For Bike Rack For Wagon

Postby dwgknz on Tue 12/Jan/16 7:58pm

One of the big suction ones, Saris or some such, don't know what straps they use.

Or bars and Thule roof racks from Winstanleys which are 300 for 2 delivered.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby adikt on Tue 12/Jan/16 8:07pm

dwgknz wrote:One of the big suction ones, Saris or some such, don't know what straps they use.

Or bars and Thule roof racks from Winstanleys which are 300 for 2 delivered.

Hrmm, hadn't stumbled over either of those. Looking at the Saris ones, it's still those bottom straps/hooks that get me :\

Might have to seriously look at roof mount.
adikt

Postby Conners on Tue 12/Jan/16 9:00pm

adikt wrote:And no, unfortunately no towbar.

I'd look at fitting one. By the time you factor in roof bars and some kind of bike attachment, I reckon you'd easily get a tow bar fitted and buy a spear type rack.
In my opinion a tow bar rack is much more usable than roof racks, and I simply wouldn't entertain the idea of any for of strap on rack. Too much faffing, and I wouldn't trust it to not drop my bike or damage the car.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 12/Jan/16 9:41pm

You can get strap on racks with toggles instead of hooks for hatch backs. You leave them in the inside and shut the boot then pull the straps tight.

But what Connor's saying, they're PITA. It's probably easier to get a new boss who doesn't mind things getting a bit dirty.

I used to have a strap on rack when I had a hatch back. My bike came half off one day so I complained and got my money back and never used it again.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby matnz on Wed 13/Jan/16 12:59pm

What about getting a boot liner made up from a decent weight material. Or a "bag" like one of these that you can zip up and keep the bike and mud from getting onto the nice shiny car (Leave the handle bars sticking out)
matnz
Member for: 2 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Wed 13/Jan/16 1:12pm

It is about $500 to $600 for a towbar to be fitted... and then depending on what rack another $200 or so... but then you will be sorted for up to 4 bikes...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby adikt on Wed 13/Jan/16 1:36pm

matnz wrote:What about getting a boot liner made up from a decent weight material. Or a "bag" like one of these that you can zip up and keep the bike and mud from getting onto the nice shiny car (Leave the handle bars sticking out)

Mostly because I can't fit enough bikes in there (I already use a tarp), and its a hassle when we go away, I don't like stacking our bags on top of my bikes!!
adikt

Postby Conners on Wed 13/Jan/16 2:13pm

adikt wrote:
matnz wrote:What about getting a boot liner made up from a decent weight material. Or a "bag" like one of these that you can zip up and keep the bike and mud from getting onto the nice shiny car (Leave the handle bars sticking out)

Mostly because I can't fit enough bikes in there (I already use a tarp), and its a hassle when we go away, I don't like stacking our bags on top of my bikes!!

Most efficient (and cleanest) method of getting bikes into a wagon/car that I've used is:
1. Both wheels off bikes
2. Seatposts out
3. Bikes standing upside down, handlebars against base of back seats. If you've got three bikes, the middle one goes backwards.
4. Play tetris with the wheels into the gaps beside and between the bikes.

We used to regularly get three bikes into the boot of a Peugeot 306 hatch this way.
This method also avoids the need to stack anything on top of your bikes... :crazy:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Wobbler on Wed 13/Jan/16 3:04pm

Conners wrote:4. Play tetris with the wheels into the gaps beside and between the bikes.

Just dont complete the lines
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Wed 13/Jan/16 5:27pm

dwgknz wrote:But what Connor's saying, they're PITA. It's probably easier to get a new boss who doesn't mind things getting a bit dirty.

:withstupid:

Trail wrote:It is about $500 to $600 for a towbar to be fitted... and then depending on what rack another $200 or so... but then you will be sorted for up to 4 bikes...

:withstupid:

I would probably spend the extra and get a hitch type tow bar rather then the tong type. and then get a hitch specific rack
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby znomit on Fri 15/Jan/16 3:11pm

Trail wrote:It is about $500 to $600 for a towbar to be fitted...

I just got a quote for my Mazda 3. $900 for the towbar, $1200 with the wiring too. :o :crazy: :angry:

Also the reputable tow bar guys sent me off to the dealer, which I think is common these days.

My clip on rack has been fine on the old hatch, but the side clips want to be at the lights on the new car. :(
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Fri 15/Jan/16 3:42pm

znomit wrote:

I just got a quote for my Mazda 3. $900 for the towbar, $1200 with the wiring too. :o :crazy: :angry:

Yeowser! Last time I put a tow bar on a car it cost me somewhere around the $3-400 mark from memory. That was in 1997 though, so with inflation that's probably about right.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Wobbler on Fri 15/Jan/16 3:46pm

znomit wrote:

Also the reputable tow bar guys sent me off to the dealer, which I think is common these days.

My clip on rack has been fine on the old hatch, but the side clips want to be at the lights on the new car. :(

How many blowies were included :crazy:
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby jo on Fri 15/Jan/16 3:49pm

I'm pretty sure I paid $500ish in 2011. :huh:
But it was a irreputable tow bar place (now gone from Wakefield St) rather than a Mazda 6 (TM) version.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories - Latest Posts