Re: Recomended Light For Night Riding

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 18/Apr/13 8:30am

I simply randomly selected a couple of the lights that dx has in the bike lights section. There are dozens very similar in the $30 - $45 range. Have a look at the whole section of the site.

To get the brightest for $ you need to look at what LED is used. Google them as there are plenty of forums that discuss relative brightness of each. However given that every single one will be putting out more light than the halogen lights from just a few years ago & is much lighter (no massive brick SLA batteyr), who really cares ! Chances are even the 'wrong' one will be more than adequate. If not add a second one. That's still cheaper than one of the 'quality' sets.

Hint, if you're thinking about using helmet AND handlebars lights, use the brightest one on helmet. Seems to give the best terrain shadowing. Also I found with handlebar brightest my body tended to lean & follow the brighter light and of course handlebars are rarely pointing where you want to go ! Felt very weird and I rode slower. Generally I only ride with helmet light as adding even dimmer handlebar light often still puts me off.......
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby danose on Thu 18/Apr/13 11:36am

UK_Exile wrote:That's still cheaper than one of the 'quality' sets.

only thing to be aware with 'cheap' lights using LiIon batteries - generally the batteries (cells, management board, charger) are the weak point - more than a few incidents of batteries going up whilst on charge (though to be honest a few incidences of that with 'quality' lights and indeed 'quality' laptops :satan: )

if you're the kind of person who worries about that kind of thing the smart thing to do is charge the inside a fireproof/blastproof container - something like a metal trashcan would suffice
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 18/Apr/13 12:21pm

I always put a few layers of electrical tape over the cells too. Heard they don't like water much. Not sure if that's true. Good precaution anyway as the holder of dx lights tends to have a lightweight almost cardboard like end cap.
UK_Exile

Postby danose on Thu 18/Apr/13 12:34pm

UK_Exile wrote:I always put a few layers of electrical tape over the cells too. Heard they don't like water much. Not sure if that's true. Good precaution anyway as the holder of dx lights tends to have a lightweight almost cardboard like end cap.

definitely worth doing - the dx batteries aren't even vaguely weatherproofed. better still would be to plasti dip them : http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

would still recommend charging them somewhere fire resistant (and not leaving them on charge unattended - as that video shows the o/c circuit failing is the big worry, good cells will have secondary protection, cheap cells won't
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby globe on Thu 18/Apr/13 5:53pm

I generally find these lights are quite narrow beams (well the one I've got anyway) and am after one with a wider beam.

Any thoughts on this one ? http://dx.com/p/3-x-cree-xm-l-t6-2400lm ... ver-188003

Cheers
globe
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Thu 18/Apr/13 6:47pm

globe wrote:I generally find these lights are quite narrow beams (well the one I've got anyway) and am after one with a wider beam.

This stuff makes a great diffuser. =}
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby globe on Thu 18/Apr/13 7:21pm

znomit wrote:
globe wrote:I generally find these lights are quite narrow beams (well the one I've got anyway) and am after one with a wider beam.

This stuff makes a great diffuser. =}

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
globe

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 19/Apr/13 8:16am

Any thoughts on this one ? http://dx.com/p/3-x-cree-xm-l-t6-2400lm ... ver-188003

Cheers

No idea re spread. Buy one & let us know :sly: Note it's light only, no battery
UK_Exile

Postby ecobulb on Fri 19/Apr/13 1:03pm

I have two from deal extreme bought them about a year apart. The first one had a shorter cord and narrower beam. Shorter cord meant I had the battery pack attached to my helmet. Second one had a much more even spread of light rather than I bright spot in the middle which was a bit off putting. They seem to get better and cheaper every year.

I'd recommend anything 900 lumens or above.

I tired one on handlebars and one on the helmet at the same but that took the fun out of night riding because it no longer seemed like night. If using just one definitely having it on the helmet is better.
ecobulb
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 19/Apr/13 1:16pm

ecobulb wrote:I tired one on handlebars and one on the helmet at the same but that took the fun out of night riding because it no longer seemed like night. If using just one definitely having it on the helmet is better.

It's a bit like that when riding in a queue with a few friends. Although gets interesting when put some lights into strobe mode. The old black & white movie wagonwheel effect but legs & cranks :crazy:
UK_Exile

Postby Percy Pig on Fri 19/Apr/13 2:28pm

DX do all kinds of different lenses and diffusers etc for their own lights, it is a bit of a mission finding the right one though, as their descriptions are a bit weird sometimes. :huh:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 19/Apr/13 2:41pm

Percy Pig wrote:DX do all kinds of different lenses and diffusers etc for their own lights, it is a bit of a mission finding the right one though, as their descriptions are a bit weird sometimes. :huh:

Engrish ?
UK_Exile

Postby globe on Fri 19/Apr/13 5:34pm

UK_Exile wrote: Note it's light only, no battery

Good point, hasn't spotted that
globe

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts