What do you think of Gerry as the self-proclaimed "reconstruction Tzar"?

A good thing, Christchurch needs Gerry's firm guidance
8%
A horrible thing, the result will be Christchurch as a low-rent shopping mall stripped of any actual character
25%
Gerry needs to go on a diet
67%

Total voters : 51

Re: Rebuilding Christchurch

Postby Slim on Tue 19/Apr/11 8:59pm

To be perfectly honest I really don't care if it's good or bad law. What I really care about is being able to flush the toilet without it ending up in the avon, drink some water that doesn't taste like a pool, drive down the street without dodging the holes, bumps and cracks and live in a house in which the doors open and close and where you can't look through the walls. If the new law assists in getting us some basic services back and a city started towards some reconstruction, then I am all for it. I am not sure Gerry is the best option, but it's better than nothing and nothing is what we have now.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 19/Apr/11 9:15pm

Slim wrote:To be perfectly honest I really don't care if it's good or bad law. What I really care about is being able to flush the toilet without it ending up in the avon, drink some water that doesn't taste like a pool, drive down the street without dodging the holes, bumps and cracks and live in a house in which the doors open and close and where you can't look through the walls. If the new law assists in getting us some basic services back and a city started towards some reconstruction, then I am all for it. I am not sure Gerry is the best option, but it's better than nothing and nothing is what we have now.
Not wanting to sound harsh but those issues, shitty as they are for you, don't justify the effect that the law could easily have on ALL of us.

And ALL of us are going to be affected by this quake for a long time to come whether it's living it for you, or paying for it for the rest of us...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Slim on Tue 19/Apr/11 9:27pm

Don't worry, I'm paying my share too!

You can have your say on the Canterbury recovery in November, I the mean time I hope someone fixes the power lines so I can stay warmish this winter
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Apr/11 9:41pm

They've already completed the official portrait of King Gerry, as commissioned by the CER bill :huh:
KingGerryVIII.jpg
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 19/Apr/11 10:15pm

thorg wrote:I think we need to stand back and cautiously elect a bunch of people representative of the community and all its diverse characters to decide on such crucial matters. Such a group should be called the council of elders, but I'll just shorten it to council - now having a such a group with conflicting areas of concern/interest would shirly allow for a fast and rapid rebuild of the city :cool:

:lol:

I think we should outsource the whole rebuilding thing to China. Those guys know how to build things. They don't have any democracy, but they've built plenty of kick ass cities, airports, rail networks etc. They used to all be peasants a few short decades ago and now they've got hundreds of millions of educated rich people. And even the greenies have to admit they're leading the world in developing the next generation of renewable based technologies (ie, thorium salt reactors). Lets face it, democracy isn't really getting this country anywhere that isn't dumb and bankrupt, it's time for a new approach.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/Apr/11 9:32am

j2hyde wrote: but they've built plenty of kick ass cities, airports, rail networks etc. They used to all be peasants a few short decades ago and now they've got hundreds of millions of educated rich people. And even the greenies have to admit they're leading the world in developing the next generation of renewable based technologies (ie, thorium salt reactors). Lets face it, democracy isn't really getting this country anywhere that isn't dumb and bankrupt, it's time for a new approach.

only at the expense of human rights, loss of heritage, loss of soul, heinous environmental pollution, utter overpopulation, loss of biodiversity.

not really such a big price to pay... is it? :blink:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Wed 20/Apr/11 11:38am

swtchbckr wrote:
j2hyde wrote: but they've built plenty of kick ass cities, airports, rail networks etc. They used to all be peasants a few short decades ago and now they've got hundreds of millions of educated rich people. And even the greenies have to admit they're leading the world in developing the next generation of renewable based technologies (ie, thorium salt reactors). Lets face it, democracy isn't really getting this country anywhere that isn't dumb and bankrupt, it's time for a new approach.

only at the expense of human rights, loss of heritage, loss of soul, heinous environmental pollution, utter overpopulation, loss of biodiversity.

but they are one of the few ( if not only) that have a legislative approach to overpopulation
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/Apr/11 11:55am

philstar wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

but they are one of the few ( if not only) that have a legislative approach to overpopulation

true dat. at the price of female infanticide.

mind you. that gives you a severely male skewed population, good worker drones for building your grand plans... lets the women be more picky about the husband they take, which in turn *may* increase species fitness, from and evolutionary pov :hmmm:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 23/Apr/11 12:19pm

swtchbckr wrote:
slumdog wrote:As for the areas they are saying no one can build on again, perfect opportunity to regenerate these areas into lush native forest again, resplendent with MTB trails through the kauri kahikatea trees, cycling to tui bellbird song etc etc..

fixxored.
Kauri trees never grew this far south, and tui's havent been around since the 1960's (we'd like to get them back one day, and they've been released at Hinewai (Banks Pen), but it'll be some time before they're back in chch).

/pedantism

de pedantism

we had a kauri growing in our front yard in beckenham
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Local Politics | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Politics | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts