What do you think of Gerry as the self-proclaimed "reconstruction Tzar"?

A good thing, Christchurch needs Gerry's firm guidance
8%
A horrible thing, the result will be Christchurch as a low-rent shopping mall stripped of any actual character
25%
Gerry needs to go on a diet
67%

Total voters : 51

Re: Rebuilding Christchurch

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 16/Apr/11 7:51pm

j2hyde wrote:So much negativity! Its good to see the tall poppy syndrome hard at work.
Widepoppy maybe? Envious of his access to high nutrition pies, maybe, but Tallpoppy Syndrome where Jerry is involved?? :crazy:
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby The Padre on Sun 17/Apr/11 12:41am

wuffy wrote:My family has been here for many generations.

We're not moving just because of a few shakes.

We're a strong city.

We'll be just fine.

Well I hope so Wuffy, its drawing a pretty bloody thin line atm mate.
The Padre
"Ive had a rough day either turn your loud crappy music down or Im going to wreck havoc! ... God Bless you child."
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 17/Apr/11 8:14pm

slumdog wrote:As for the areas they are saying no one can build on again, perfect opportunity to regenerate these areas into lush native forest again, resplendent with MTB trails through the kauri kahikatea trees, cycling to tui bellbird song etc etc..

fixxored.
Kauri trees never grew this far south, and tui's havent been around since the 1960's (we'd like to get them back one day, and they've been released at Hinewai (Banks Pen), but it'll be some time before they're back in chch).

/pedantism
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 17/Apr/11 8:29pm

yaaaaaaaaawwwwwn
Mickyfinn
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 17/Apr/11 10:13pm

Better plant some flax to welcome the tui then.

Googling "tui diet" surprisingly does not bring up beer in the first few links. Instead we get this doc, with charts of native and introduced species eaten each month by tui in the Waikato.
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/newsletters/tui/tuinewslettermay04.pdf

For Chch Coprosma, Mahoe, Pittosporum and Strawberry Tree are easy. We have one Coprosma a foot thick that would feed a whole fleet of tui for a month.
Simonius_Titius
""Give a man a gun and he'll rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he'll rob everyone."
Member for: 5 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Apr/11 1:58pm

http://blog.greens.org.nz/2011/04/19/th ... ing-gerry/

Gerry Brownlee announced yesterday that the CERA independent review panel to provide oversight of Gerry Brownlee has been appointed by Gerry Brownlee.

Gerry Brownlee has appointed former High Court Judge Sir John Hansen, former National Party Prime Minister Dame Jenny Shipley, National Party appointee to the Meridian Energy Board Anake Goodall, and National Party appointee to the National Party’s Productivity Commission Murray Sherwin to review National Party Minister Gerry Brownlee’s Canterbury recovery decisions.
happybaboon
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 19/Apr/11 3:49pm

sell the faultlines!
Wobbler
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Slim on Tue 19/Apr/11 4:33pm

happybaboon wrote:http://blog.greens.org.nz/2011/04/19/the-external-supervision-of-king-gerry/

Gerry Brownlee announced yesterday that the CERA independent review panel to provide oversight of Gerry Brownlee has been appointed by Gerry Brownlee.

Gerry Brownlee has appointed former High Court Judge Sir John Hansen, former National Party Prime Minister Dame Jenny Shipley, National Party appointee to the Meridian Energy Board Anake Goodall, and National Party appointee to the National Party’s Productivity Commission Murray Sherwin to review National Party Minister Gerry Brownlee’s Canterbury recovery decisions.

Does the earthquake in Canterbury and it's recovery have something to do with you Babs? Were you here? Do you have an effected property?

Maybe you should take a look at who those people are and what they have done for the community and country before you make them out to be right wing puppets.
Slim
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Tue 19/Apr/11 4:58pm

Er, you don't get more right wing than Jenny Shipley. :eh:

Not saying that they aren't the best people for the job, but I think the point Babs is making is that Brownlee personally chose and appointed the people that are supposed to assessing his ability to do the job - perhaps to avoid the appearance of cronyism someone else should have chosen the review panel?

After all, who watches the watchmen?
Oli
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Slim on Tue 19/Apr/11 5:33pm

Oli wrote:Er, you don't get more right wing than Jenny Shipley. :eh:

Not saying that they aren't the best people for the job, but I think the point Babs is making is that Brownlee personally chose and appointed the people that are supposed to assessing his ability to do the job - perhaps to avoid the appearance of cronyism someone else should have chosen the review panel?

After all, who watches the watchmen?

Those of us that are living with it day to day and have our way of life on the line, do you really think we will stand for any shit from some jumped up appointed people telling us how to suck eggs?
Slim
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Tue 19/Apr/11 5:42pm

With all due respect, I don't know how much of a say you're going to get. I hope plenty.
Oli
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby wuffy on Tue 19/Apr/11 5:46pm

It's a Harsh reality but we the public won't get much say in the deconstruction/reconstruction at all, it's too close to home and emotional for any of the public to make rational decisions for the greater good.

It'll be left up to the technocrat's to make the big decisions.
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby thorg on Tue 19/Apr/11 6:01pm

I think we need to stand back and cautiously elect a bunch of people representative of the community and all its diverse characters to decide on such crucial matters. Such a group should be called the council of elders, but I'll just shorten it to council - now having a such a group with conflicting areas of concern/interest would shirly allow for a fast and rapid rebuild of the city :cool:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Apr/11 6:04pm

Oli wrote:With all due respect, I don't know how much of a say you're going to get. I hope plenty.

That's exactly what I hope. If it were my home that had been destroyed, I'd want a big say in regards to how it was rebuilt.... But Gerry's lining things up so that the opposite applies and he can essentially do what the fuck he pleases. That's what I'm worried about. Chch should be rebuilt how the people of Chch want it rebuilt, not how some insane far-right-wing former woodwork teacher thinks it should be rebuilt.
happybaboon
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 19/Apr/11 8:44pm

The point is that there is no reason why the whole thing couldn't have been structured differently and achieved the same result but with constitutional safeguards left intact http://www.laws179.co.nz/2011/04/cera-mark-ii-henry-viii-clauses.html

And Slim this law means that Gerry can do just about anything anywhere in the country. It's bad law and open to abuse and I don't know about you but I don't really trust any single party to have that much power.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Local Politics | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Politics | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts