Raspy/ Burning Throat After Riding In The Cold?

Postby Tama on Mon 11/May/09 5:24pm

I was definitely going for it on the ride home tonight and have come home with a horrible raspy throat which feels almost like it's burning. I was well layered up but didn't have anything covering my face and at times I was sucking in a lot of air.

Any ideas about what this is and what I should do about it? :paranoid:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Raspy/ Burning Throat After Riding In The Cold?

Postby happybaboon on Mon 11/May/09 5:28pm

Chch coalfires playing up again? Or maybe you're getting a wee sniffle and that was provoked by the cold air?

Solutions: Don't ride in cold air, HTFU or knit yourself a scarf.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby DropKick on Mon 11/May/09 5:33pm

Cold air in itself can be an irritant to the mucosa in your mouth/lungs.

See if you keep getting recurrance on cold days (its pretty chilly out there!).
Only thing you can really do is cover your mouth with a scarf or something to reduce the amount of cold air getting in, or drive with ones heater roaring!

[edit] also, try breathing thru your nose, there is a big surface area of warm mucosa specifically designed to warm/humidify the air you breath in (I cant remember the exact figures, but in the 10cm or so from the front of your nose to the back of your pharynx it raises the air temperature to almost body temp.... just breathing through a big pipe (ie mouth), you dont get anywhere near as much warming effect
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 11/May/09 5:41pm

If it's really cold a neoprene face mask can help.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Mon 11/May/09 6:43pm

when I was a runner (2 decades ago!!!!) I used to get this at the first race of the winter. I think it's dragging the cold air in quickly. Slow down!
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 11/May/09 6:46pm

I believe I have the same/similar thing after inhaling the cold, cold Moonride air.
I have taken both Boddington's Irish Moss and a can of HTFU.
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 11/May/09 6:59pm

Stop breaking the filters off...
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Monolith on Mon 11/May/09 7:10pm

I get this too, normally after a good hard effort on a cold day. I'll cough a bit, but will be sweet as the next day, so I can do it again. :)
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Mel on Mon 11/May/09 8:50pm

I get it from cold/damp air and is sometimes coupled with a heavy feeling in your lungs and a bit of a cough (usually all gone the next day). Seeing as you are riding in the cold quite regularly, it may be worth trying a cover over your mouth. Tinkerbell rates her Icebreaker Chute very highly.
Last edited by Mel on Mon 11/May/09 9:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Monolith on Mon 11/May/09 9:02pm

Some guys I ride with use Buffs around their faces/necks to prevent getting too cold... along with a beanie under the helmet.

Just remember to remove it before you wander into the bank.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Tue 12/May/09 8:19am

DropKick wrote:Cold air in itself can be an irritant to the mucosa in your mouth/lungs.

See if you keep getting recurrance on cold days (its pretty chilly out there!).
Only thing you can really do is cover your mouth with a scarf or something to reduce the amount of cold air getting in, or drive with ones heater roaring!

[edit] also, try breathing thru your nose, there is a big surface area of warm mucosa specifically designed to warm/humidify the air you breath in (I cant remember the exact figures, but in the 10cm or so from the front of your nose to the back of your pharynx it raises the air temperature to almost body temp.... just breathing through a big pipe (ie mouth), you dont get anywhere near as much warming effect

Cheers Greg - much appreciated :thumbsup:

I'm aware that my breathing while cycling is pretty crap - I have a tendency to pant, which from my understanding doesn't expel all of the stale air out of your lungs (and it sounds creepy.)

I made an effort to breathe in through my nose this morning and it seemed to work - even if everyone passed me :huh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 12/May/09 8:28am

I had this prob really bad last year and went and got myself an Icebreaker Chute (black for boys would be my pick). I can honestly say its the best winter piece of kit I have. And it works with spectacles (I got it before the laser eyes). Minimal glasses fogging, stays in place even when you turn your head to check for oncoming death, doesn't get too wet, makes the air nice and warm, keeps ears, nose, cheeks and chin warm and is easily pulled down if your face starts boiling. I managed to get it on sale for $30 but I think they're usually about $50.
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 12/May/09 8:55am

I notice this on the really cold days, but only if I ride hard and get a bit of a pant on. Slow down, cruise, and you'll be good.

Many people will say to get a mask/whatever, and swear by them, but I don;t see how a barrier is going to warm the air you're inhaling? Maybe it works, but surely it can't warm the air, just help keep your lips warm?
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby danose on Tue 12/May/09 9:06am

Monolith wrote:Some guys I ride with use Buffs around their faces/necks to prevent getting too cold... along with a beanie under the helmet.

Just remember to remove it before you wander into the bank.

a respro mask is even better for that (and for freaking out motorists) - especially the way the valves pop just like darth vader breathing :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby danose on Tue 12/May/09 9:09am

crazychris wrote:Many people will say to get a mask/whatever, and swear by them, but I don;t see how a barrier is going to warm the air you're inhaling? Maybe it works, but surely it can't warm the air, just help keep your lips warm?

the mask basically acts as a heat/moisture exchanger - your exhaled breath warms and wets the mask, when you inhale it then warms (slightly) and humidifes the air. I reckon it's the dryness of the air that gives you sore lungs (since I only get it on frosty mornings with basically zero humidity - on nearly as cold but wet days lungs are fine)

the respro masks do it a bit too well - despite their valves I still used to find I'd wet the filter fabric out after about an hour (at which point it becomes like one of those powerbreathe lung trainers)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts