Re: Raspy/ Burning Throat After Riding In The Cold?

Postby crazychris on Tue 12/May/09 9:23am

danose wrote:
crazychris wrote:Many people will say to get a mask/whatever, and swear by them, but I don;t see how a barrier is going to warm the air you're inhaling? Maybe it works, but surely it can't warm the air, just help keep your lips warm?

the mask basically acts as a heat/moisture exchanger - your exhaled breath warms and wets the mask, when you inhale it then warms (slightly) and humidifes the air. I reckon it's the dryness of the air that gives you sore lungs (since I only get it on frosty mornings with basically zero humidity - on nearly as cold but wet days lungs are fine)

So, the same could be achieved by having half a mouthful of hot coffee? So long as you top it up as you ride of course.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 12/May/09 9:28am

you getting a virus?

oink oink...?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 12/May/09 9:58am

crazychris wrote:
danose wrote:
crazychris wrote:Many people will say to get a mask/whatever, and swear by them, but I don;t see how a barrier is going to warm the air you're inhaling? Maybe it works, but surely it can't warm the air, just help keep your lips warm?

the mask basically acts as a heat/moisture exchanger - your exhaled breath warms and wets the mask, when you inhale it then warms (slightly) and humidifes the air. I reckon it's the dryness of the air that gives you sore lungs (since I only get it on frosty mornings with basically zero humidity - on nearly as cold but wet days lungs are fine)

So, the same could be achieved by having half a mouthful of hot coffee? So long as you top it up as you ride of course.

Hehe, I'd love to see you riding along with half a mouthful of hot coffee, breathing through your mouth and sprinting for the lights. I suspect it would be quite amusing :lol:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby jo on Tue 12/May/09 10:25am

It doesnt have to be hot, just passing the gas over a body-temperature water will help alot.
For abit of an overview.... http://www.rtmagazine.com/issues/articl ... -02_03.asp :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 12/May/09 10:45am

jo wrote:It doesnt have to be hot, just passing the gas over a body-temperature water will help alot.
For abit of an overview.... http://www.rtmagazine.com/issues/articl ... -02_03.asp :)

So a mouthful of warm vodka would work equally well? I might have to test this out tomorrow morning!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby jo on Tue 12/May/09 10:52am

crazychris wrote:So a mouthful of warm vodka would work equally well? I might have to test this out tomorrow morning!

:blink:
I did say "body temperature water". ;)
I'd suspect that vapours of alcohol might cause more damage than good.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Biker4Life on Tue 12/May/09 11:40am

puff a smoke on the way, will warm your lungs up and has no bad side effects :thumbsup:
Biker4Life
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Paul_Bags on Thu 14/May/09 8:22am

Biker4Life wrote:puff a smoke on the way, will warm your lungs up and has no bad side effects :thumbsup:

While sprinting into a head wind! Ever smoked a cig in under 10 seconds? :p
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts