Rapaki Track On A Tandem?

Postby crazychris on Thu 11/Dec/08 9:04am

It's been a while since I rode up this hill (or many hills at all frankly!) and I remember it being quite rocky and rutted and having little rivers running through it.

Now, I ask, has anyone been up there in the last few days? Why do I ask? Well, Logan wants to do some tandem hill climbing and Rapaki is a easier hill than Kennedys to get to, and ride. However, if the bottom of the track is a rock garden and full of ruts and other annoying features (when uphilling) then I may look elsewhere, or stick to the roads till we're better... The downhill is no problem, we'll smash our way to the bottom without issue there.

So, how bad at the bottom? Could you do it riding up with only one hand? Could you do it 3 gears higher (or lower) than you're used to?
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 11/Dec/08 9:15am

The bottom isn't too bad at all now, yes I could ride up it with only one had (and have occassionally for a while when trying to get something out of my pocket) and I could probably ride it in a harder gear (I'm just lazy), probably not three though cause my legs are weak pieces of string. If I can I reckon you guys will be ok. IMHO.
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 11/Dec/08 9:19am

Its back to its old, dusty, boring best. Frankly if you can't get up it in its current state it is time for you to retire ;)
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby BianchiBoy on Thu 11/Dec/08 9:27am

Rode a tandem up there a few years ago. Wife (stoker) only has full use of one hand so she effectively did it one handed. No problem other than stuffing the free hub 1/2 way up and riding fixed wheel the rest of the way. Could still change gear though.
BianchiBoy
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 11/Dec/08 9:34am

BianchiBoy wrote: Rode a tandem up there a few years ago. Wife (stoker) only has full use of one hand so she effectively did it one handed. No problem other than stuffing the free hub 1/2 way up and riding fixed wheel the rest of the way. Could still change gear though.

We did that on the way up Kennedys, it's pretty hard to peddle 50kph+ downhill with brakes on.

Alright, if tinkerbell says it's easy then we're in!!

Now, how do I convince Logan it's just too damn hard, and we should stick to the flat.... Hmm....
crazychris

Postby danose on Thu 11/Dec/08 12:12pm

if you're really concerned about rocks/ruts, the mt vernon farm track is definitely smoother than rapaki - downside is it's also steeper
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 11/Dec/08 12:16pm

danose wrote: if you're really concerned about rocks/ruts, the mt vernon farm track is definitely smoother than rapaki - downside is it's also steeper

It's not really a problem, it's just a couple of years ago it got real bad after winter and was nasty as hell. I was way less fit then (I am mearly unfit now) and had no trouble on my solo, but uphill navigation on a tandem is a little tricker, made worse by ruts and rocks. If it's not full of ruts and nasty surprises, then we'll give it a crack.
crazychris

Postby mfw on Thu 11/Dec/08 12:19pm

Remember to post your time on the MTB leaderboard -in the tandem section - if you come up with an entertaining ride report I will award you bonus points ;)
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 11/Dec/08 12:23pm

mfw wrote: Remember to post your time on the MTB leaderboard -in the tandem section - if you come up with an entertaining ride report I will award you bonus points ;)

You're on!
crazychris

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Tandem - Latest Posts