Rant About Bike F...ing Shops And Useless Mechanics.

Postby matnz on Mon 27/Jun/16 7:10pm

Just bought a new Merida for my 12yo. I bought a "Workshop special", I do not think they meant there workshop was "Special", I thought they meant the bike was discounted.

Front calipers are held on by bolts too long and a stack of random concave/ convex washers, which might just about be acceptable in a third world country, except three of them are convex and one is concave and one of the bolts was tight at the end of the thread in fork and the washers were rattling around. So, not only to I have to tell my son his new toy has to go back to the shop and he can't ride it tomorrow, I have to take time of work and drive across town to take the F..ing thing back to the fu..ers and probably have to drive back to pick the bike up again.

You might have guessed I am not happy.....

What really concerns me is I have been around bikes for far too long and am old enough and wise enough to do a "safety check" on a new bike out the shop. How many people get their new bike and hit the trails without checking this stuff. Suppose its not too bad, there is always the back brake when the front one falls off as long as it does not go into the spokes.

One the bright side, I have had a valuable lesson (again) - find a LBS with a decent mechanic, and stick with it no mater how tempting the price is at the cowboy outfit down the road. Anyone recommend a half decent bike shop in the north / west of CHCH that does not have Barn in its name.....
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Re: Rant About Bike F...ing Shops And Useless Mechanics.

Postby philstar on Mon 27/Jun/16 8:56pm

matnz wrote:Front calipers are held on by bolts too long and a stack of random concave/ convex washers, which might just about be acceptable in a third world country, except three of them are convex and one is concave and one of the bolts was tight at the end of the thread in fork and the washers were rattling around. So, not only to I have to tell my son his new toy has to go back to the shop and he can't ride it tomorrow, I have to take time of work and drive across town to take the F..ing thing back to the fu..ers and probably have to drive back to pick the bike up again.

the concave and convex washer (one of each) I am lead to believe are so you can adjust the tilt on the caliper, but that is no excuse for loose/bottoming-out bolts
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby neels on Mon 27/Jun/16 10:11pm

Just had a new bottom bracket and wheel tune up on my singlespeed at the bike shop on Main North Rd, very competent chap working there who was previously at bike biz beside bunnings shirley, before that turned into a barn.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Sims on Wed 29/Jun/16 9:39am

I don't trust anybody to do anything these days. I might be slow, but at least I do a thorough job...
Sims
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 29/Jun/16 9:47am

:withstupid:

The niche guys seldom want to touch stuff on my not-expensive bike ("just ride that part to death and replace it then"), and the last time I used a non-niche mechanic he appeared to have used a dremel or similar to get old suspension bearings out, ganking up the frame, AND he didn't fix the squeak.

So I bought a bearing kit from Sir Dougal and some C-clamps... And got the job done.

I'd use Dirt Merchants in Wellington though, and they say they'll do whatevs. But mostly... I can do stuff myself now :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Sims on Wed 29/Jun/16 10:03am

I'm still scarred from a 'bike mechanics' using a thread chasing tool, to recut a BB thread in the wrong direction.
Sims

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Jun/16 10:59am

Sims wrote:I'm still scarred from a 'bike mechanics' using a thread chasing tool, to recut a BB thread in the wrong direction.

Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
You're lucky he caught that whack thread before something went seriously wrong.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Sims on Wed 29/Jun/16 12:17pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Sims wrote:I'm still scarred from a 'bike mechanics' using a thread chasing tool, to recut a BB thread in the wrong direction.

You're lucky he caught that whack thread before something went seriously wrong.

Oh he caught it alright - Really turned it around...
Sims

Postby AgrAde on Wed 29/Jun/16 1:19pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:

Except for the right side bb thread which is lefty tighty righty loosey :huh:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Wed 29/Jun/16 2:53pm

AgrAde wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

and the right peddle, and some wheel bearing nuts on some cars and ...
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Jun/16 2:55pm

AgrAde wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

Yeah... Didn't think it warranted a [/s]
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby el sol on Wed 29/Jun/16 4:03pm

neels wrote:Just had a new bottom bracket and wheel tune up on my singlespeed at the bike shop on Main North Rd, very competent chap working there who was previously at bike biz beside bunnings shirley, before that turned into a barn.

I think you are talking about the owner, Graeme. He worked at Bike Biz at The Palms yonks ago. He's a good dude - very thorough.
el sol
Member for: 1 year 5 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 29/Jun/16 9:37pm

el sol wrote:
neels wrote:Just had a new bottom bracket and wheel tune up on my singlespeed at the bike shop on Main North Rd, very competent chap working there who was previously at bike biz beside bunnings shirley, before that turned into a barn.

I think you are talking about the owner, Graeme. He worked at Bike Biz at The Palms yonks ago. He's a good dude - very thorough.

Nah, Grant.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 30/Jun/16 3:03pm

happybaboon wrote::withstupid:

The niche guys seldom want to touch stuff on my not-expensive bike ("just ride that part to death and replace it then"), and the last time I used a non-niche mechanic he appeared to have used a dremel or similar to get old suspension bearings out, ganking up the frame, AND he didn't fix the squeak.

So I bought a bearing kit from Sir Dougal and some C-clamps... And got the job done.

I'd use Dirt Merchants in Wellington though, and they say they'll do whatevs. But mostly... I can do stuff myself now :)

I'd touch your stuff Babs :paranoid:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 30/Jun/16 9:42pm

Did you check my wheel tension the other week?

I ride around on a jamis renegade, usually in black or in an orange Ale top. I am very sweaty.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts