Re: Raise The Sea Levels On Google Earth

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 19/Mar/09 3:00pm

j2hyde wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/2276536/An ... ing-point/ wrote:The cores showed the West Antarctic ice sheet in the Ross Embayment area collapsed and reformed every 40,000 years. It has collapsed 38 times in the past 5 million years.

Given the frequency of this naturally occuring event it sure is great that we can stop the climate from changing :blink:

How about reading to the end then eh?
j2hyde wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/2276536/An ... ing-point/ wrote:"But such an outcome could result from the accumulation of total greenhouse-gas emissions projected for the 21st Century, if emissions are not greatly reduced," said the article.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 19/Mar/09 3:05pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
j2hyde wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/2276536/An ... ing-point/ wrote:The cores showed the West Antarctic ice sheet in the Ross Embayment area collapsed and reformed every 40,000 years. It has collapsed 38 times in the past 5 million years.

Given the frequency of this naturally occuring event it sure is great that we can stop the climate from changing :blink:

How about reading to the end then eh?
j2hyde wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/2276536/An ... ing-point/ wrote:"But such an outcome could result from the accumulation of total greenhouse-gas emissions projected for the 21st Century, if emissions are not greatly reduced," said the article.

j2hyde was pointing out the inevitable cyclical nature of the event. :eh:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 19/Mar/09 3:07pm

I think he was commenting on more than just that
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby j2hyde on Thu 19/Mar/09 3:12pm

I'm just happy we can predict the future and control the climate. It makes me proud to be human :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby neels on Thu 19/Mar/09 3:36pm

It's all just a bunch of theories at the moment, we just have to wait and see which one turns out to be right.

Looking at the map, from 2-4m I get to live on an island :thumbsup: Over 4m I'm fucked. :(
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Thu 19/Mar/09 4:03pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:My work and my home will be fine. :) I will, however, need an aquabike to get from one to the other :huh:

aquabikes rock!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby addicted on Thu 19/Mar/09 4:22pm

neels wrote:It's all just a bunch of theories at the moment, we just have to wait and see which one turns out to be right.

You're right there, i was reading the other day about another theory called the dimming affect where (so some wanky scientists reckon) all the CO2 we produce is actually making the greenhouse gasses efects less noticable, therefore when we start emmiting less carbon and the earth can absorb it we are going to be even more fucked than we thought!
addicted
"I Aint Sayin' Nuthin'"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 19/Mar/09 4:33pm

That 14m sea level raise doesn't seem to do enough. It is getting close, perhaps about 20m would do nicely. w00t for global warming. Oh, was that not meant to be the right result?
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Jim on Thu 19/Mar/09 4:50pm

Look at northen europe with a 14 metre rise. :sly:
Jim
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re:

Postby znomit on Thu 19/Mar/09 6:37pm

Tama wrote:Half of Shannon underwater - the rest becomes beachfront property: http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=-40.5458, ... 1&z=4&m=14

Ok, so if I leave all my taps running how many years till the whole place is underwater?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Spyder on Thu 19/Mar/09 6:46pm

Danose will be happy. Won't be able to do Long Bays anymore - will have to be up on the hills :)
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Fri 20/Mar/09 1:21am

I wouldn't get to worried over this, you can engineer structures and places to deal with this sort of thing.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Whoops on Fri 20/Mar/09 8:54am

addicted wrote:
neels wrote:It's all just a bunch of theories at the moment, we just have to wait and see which one turns out to be right.

You're right there,

No, no he's not.
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 20/Mar/09 10:19am

addicted wrote:You're right there, i was reading the other day about another theory called the dimming affect where (so some wanky scientists reckon) all the CO2 we produce is actually making the greenhouse gasses efects less noticable, therefore when we start emmiting less carbon and the earth can absorb it we are going to be even more fucked than we thought!

Durr, sounds like you'd believe someone claiming to be a 'scientist' saying smoking is a healthy lifestyle choice.

The debate about human influence on global climate systems is over. I'm not a climate scientist, but I'm open-minded enough to take the conclusions from all the major scientific academies and IPCC reports as being proof enough for me. It's your choice to take a different view, but I challenge you to provide peer reviewed evidence for it.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby Spadewerx on Fri 20/Mar/09 11:00am

Rotorua does not seem to be affected at all ;)
The lakes don't rise not even a bit...
Spadewerx
"These posts may contain traces of shameless self promotion"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Environment | Sifting - Latest Posts