Re: Radman's 2nd Attempt At A Fixie To Try Be Cool

Postby musta on Fri 3/Jun/11 7:38pm

And even if you do get magic ratio then chain will stretch with day to day use making it slack, or it will be too tight and wear down your drivetrain.
You can either file the dropouts or the axle to get a slight bit of movement to aid tension.
Also use a halflink chain will help
You should read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Its possible, but yeah its not easy.

Single speed is easy as with a tensioner, and you can run the chain slightly slacker
musta
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Fri 3/Jun/11 7:53pm

You would be shunned by the hipsters.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby radman on Fri 3/Jun/11 9:44pm

znomit wrote:You would be shunned by the hipsters.

oh well i'm happy with just 1 in my wolf pack
radman
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby disoriented on Fri 3/Jun/11 9:50pm

Are fixies still 'in'?
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 3/Jun/11 9:58pm

Not that I’m telling you what to do :blush: but….Singlespeed it. Buy a cheap tensioner, put both brakes back on it…but before you do that strip it down and have it painted or powdercoated in some bright, obnoxious colour.
You’ll then have a pretty cool whip in my (uncool) humble opinion =}
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 3/Jun/11 10:08pm

i've always wondered, can a 'floating' cog work for fixie? or for that matter, backpedal coaster brake? as the chain stretched you could move the cog back a link or two...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 3/Jun/11 10:22pm

shmoodiver wrote:doesn't have horizontal or track dropouts, may be hard to fix

Decimal sprockets may help with this. But they have not hit here yet.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Fri 3/Jun/11 10:40pm

radman wrote:
znomit wrote:You would be shunned by the hipsters.

oh well i'm happy with just 1 in my wolf pack

Yeah it wasn't a drawback :)
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 4/Jun/11 3:52am

Check the tubing sticker. 6061 aluminium becomes super weak if heated, it may well be a no-no for 7005 too.

How about leave the whole rear end working and just modify the front, then you would be half cool.

Single front ring is the hot look, and you still have a useful bike on the flat. It looks great and is a lot easier to keep clean.

You will also be able to swap a tube without repeating your painstaking working out of where the high points of the front and rear cogs are, including giving due consideration to whether you are detecting a high point or just a variation in the chain. That's simplicity.

Consider your chainline, and how you will get your chainring to where it needs to be. Your BB may be shimmable, and chainring spacers can help.
Or you may need to replace the cranks, BB or both. I believe this is the point where fixie/SS projects succeed or fail.
Having a range of chain offsets available at the rear easily keeps you out of the "fail" group, at worst only half the gears would have a reasonable chainline.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby nagem on Sat 4/Jun/11 8:03am

I'd powdercoat it, single speed it, slap some bar tape on, get some sweet looking brake levers and just ride. It's a bike. Bikes are cool. Do what you want. :)
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby thorg on Sat 4/Jun/11 8:37am

eno do an eccentric rear hub - not sure it would be up to fixie duties, but is much cheaper then EBB. Just the cost of hub an wheel build. Get the disc brake model (if they do one??) - then you have a SS bike when needed, and a fixie when wanted (flip the wheel around, and have another cog mounted tothe disc mount instead of a disc).

best of both worlds?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 4/Jun/11 8:47am

thorg wrote:eno do an eccentric rear hub - not sure it would be up to fixie duties, but is much cheaper then EBB. Just the cost of hub an wheel build. Get the disc brake model (if they do one??) - then you have a SS bike when needed, and a fixie when wanted (flip the wheel around, and have another cog mounted tothe disc mount instead of a disc).

best of both worlds?

mmmmmm yar, White Industries Eno hub, might handle the jandal for fixie mincing duties.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 4/Jun/11 11:25am

nagem wrote:I'd powdercoat it, single speed it, slap some bar tape on, get some sweet looking brake levers and just ride. It's a bike. Bikes are cool. Do what you want. :)

Didn't I just type that :rolleyes:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby radman on Sat 11/Jun/11 1:06pm

Not a real update but i bought some tools the other day from www.bicycle.co.nz , very happy with my purchase got a complete set for about $160 incl postage. Heres the link http://bicycle.co.nz/index.php/accessories/tools/ice-tools-kit.html.

I think its good value for what it is instead of buying tools individually and it only took 2 days to arrive.

I would post photos but some scum broke into the house earlier in the eek and stole my laptop and camera....pain n the arse, third time this year as well.
radman
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 11/Jun/11 7:34pm

Good move buying a set to start with. These won't take the punishment that pro tools can so be careful not to let them slip.

I recommend a medium-sized battleaxe for the burglar. Scum are just scum.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Tue 14/Jun/11 2:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycling | Fixed Gear - Latest Posts