Nz Raboplus Age Group & Paralympic Track Championships

Postby elpo on Wed 3/Mar/10 3:21pm

Any one heard any results or times, I know the first session has just finished. Are there any live updates??
elpo
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Nz Raboplus Age Group & Paralympic Track Championships

Postby gydey on Thu 4/Mar/10 3:33pm

Just saw the U19 IP results...times are not world class, and this should be of concern to BikeNZ. Last year the top 3 were 3-20, 3-22, 3-22, this year..3-27, 3-28, 3-28!!

U17 results were quick in the 500TT... as were U15
gydey
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby 1bikerider1 on Thu 4/Mar/10 5:33pm

frame did 3.24. was cold as well
1bikerider1
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby front.bum on Thu 4/Mar/10 5:57pm

gydey, last year as a second year ruaraidh did a 3.27 in the final. this year alex frame also did that as a first year on a much slower night. Lets not talk about brad evans ride because no ones really cares. you are right the overall standard was not as good however alex's ride must not be overlooked. it was a surprise though that pete did not dilliver the goods with only a 3.28 in the qualifying round which put him 4th behind will bowman who rode his first pursuit in a time of 3.27.8. Also something to note is that pete rode a 3.25 at southland champs on a faster warm night. People in the crowd were wearing puffa jackets and jeans for godsake. in comparison to last year when riders were warming up in the tunnel to stay cool. Terry you are a gorgeous man, but in this instance you are sadly wrong my friend
front.bum
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby gydey on Thu 4/Mar/10 7:24pm

Sorry..I just looked at BikeNZ website for results...and those were the times I saw on it. I didnt see qualifying...but the point I made in qualifying there were 3 that rode 22 last year...this year I see the finals results were quite slow. Yes Ruaraidh didnt back up his ride in the final against MV..but certainly did at worlds with 3-19 in heats and finals

Make no mistake about last year...it was NOT hot on the day and night that the U19s rode in fact it was cold as the sun hadnt shone in Invercargill for 3 days. The temp in qualifying was only 18 degrees in the morning and 22 degrees in the evening last year as opposed to the following 2 night where it was in the 30s. I always measure heat and humidity at these meetings to help with gear selection.

Yes I agree bullien was disappointing given his amazing results and times as a U17...and just continues to show that great age groupers can struggle when they move up a grade.
gydey

Postby fatwombat on Fri 5/Mar/10 1:56am

I see Wellington (the poor cousin of track cycling it seems) has picked up 3 bronze medals so far:
Ele Pepperell (U15 girls 500TT);
Gary Humpherson (M3 6km scratch); and
Mark Coburn (M1 8km scratch).

Well done you guys, Wellington needs more of you! :D
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:38am

Just looking on Weather Underground it was 3 degrees warmer on the Monday of U19 pursuits last year and I recall sunny, not the rain we have experienced. But anyway the lack of super fast times has been noted. Sure had Josh been riding he would have probably lifted the standard. Bulling rode 3.25 at Southland Champs. That Bowman can get 4th and ride 3rd fastest time for a guy who first jumped on Track in Mid January is an indication that some guys need to pull their socks up!

But looking at the 1st years and U17s coming through Italy may be a development year for Junior Cycling.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby johnL on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:48am

what are the lap times like Hamish, are they even or all over the place. Do they just need time on the track? or some real power development?
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby front.bum on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:21am

qualifiying lap times were. ALEX FRAME 21.01/16.22/16.36/16.58/16.59/16.65/16.66/16.56/16.46/16.94/16.99/17.13---3.24.14

WILL BOWMAN 20.71/16.43/16.36/16.79/17.01/17.20/17.10/17.18/17.68/17.69/17.32/16.98---3.27.85

BULLING 21.29/16.17/16.44/16.66/16.80/16.97/16.97/17.14/17.38/17.80/17.56/17.37---3.28.51

dont have any others sorry
front.bum
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby nagem on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:41am

Your user name makes me LOL LOL LOL.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Oshignition on Sun 7/Mar/10 7:26am

Fergie. Italia will not be a development year!!!
Oshignition
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby sprint supporter on Sun 7/Mar/10 5:22pm

Well after all the thunder has been stolen by the senior nationals, the crowds this age group
were at best poor.
If you
took away the away teams supporters, at all sessions, cycling southland would not have had any financial return at all!!!!

Cue TV did a cameo appearance, 1 X under 15 scratch race! Local riders i spose.

That really raised the profile of track cycling in this country.

as all you canterbeury ites Know getting any non southland results out invercargill in the media is like fighting against a rip tide.

If this continues it won't be long before southland cycling will be pleading for some one else to hold the event.

As for the programme well where do you start? endurance riders doing 2 finals + in a night session.

We have heard the rave comments for the senior national track champs.

will we hear any for this,poor shadow of what used to be an all inspiring track week for junior under 15's,under 17's to witness senior experiencedriders work their craft on the boards?

Funnily during the Oceanias , the black sticks dropped in to show support and interest in a transtasman event, but with the exception of a few Elite riders in the drome during racing, (excluding setting up for training sessions) there was little obvious support given to the juniors, not even the odd medal presentation, what a missed opportunity

Do we have to read cut and pasted reports from the southland times in the bike nz report?
Ride strong what?

Yes there was good racing in most age groups, there was no coverage of the disabled riders to show others in thiscountry how cycling can change a life.

yes records did fall, some by chunks, some went within 2 qualifying rides,some went in qualifying, and then broken in the finals, that evening. yes it was all there, but not many people in this country will ever know
sprint supporter
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby its that guy on Sun 7/Mar/10 7:02pm

man these nationals were good. the officials were friendly and made it a great week. (under 15 500tt times r crazy atm)
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 8/Mar/10 8:06am

I thought it was a good week. The kids got a lot out of it. You could see those who had planned and prepared for their events were rewarded with good performances. Hopefully the first time riders drew enough inspiration from what they experienced to focus on success in 2011. One of my more well performed riders had been planning his campaign since winter last year. Perhaps we need to move the Masters events and look at the cost v benefits of the U15 grade. We stuck around a few times to watch the NZ team training for Worlds and will this was inspiring it would have been better to see Eddie Dawkins in competition or the tactical skills of Tom Scully first hand. TV does not do track cycling justice. Apparently qualification for Worlds and Olympics has changed again so perhaps there is scope to bring things back together.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby gydey on Mon 8/Mar/10 2:47pm

Congratulations to all the riders...winners and losers. There were some outstanding efforts and none more so that Dylan Kennetts domination of the U17 events albeit, I think he has another year in this grade.

I guess the challenge now to Dylan and his support team is to continue to develop and go even faster next year, with a view to Junior Worlds in 2012 and 2013.

Dont get me wrong and fire off Craig... U 17 has seen a few dominant riders over the years, that have struggled in the higher grades..and we know who they are Hamish :-).. and Dylans IP times are world class for a U17 rider (didnt see the sprint qualifying time..so cant say)..so Hamish now will have to plan how to keep the young guy 100% committed as he basically has won everything in U17, so motivation may become difficult. I had a good friend who totally dominated this grade in my era...won every NZ U17 title both road and track..and never made it as a senior at the highest level... so lets hope the young lad can now go on with the job and become a star in the U19 and elite ranks in years to come

Well done Dylan, and Hamish
gydey

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts