Quiet Roads.

Postby melbear on Mon 22/Dec/14 10:38pm

I just got my first road bike and I would like to ride on very quiet roads to get used to it. I also would like some quiet hills to climb.
Anything in lower hutt or surrounding cities would be good.
melbear
Member for: 4 years 11 months

Re: Quiet Roads.

Postby Farm on Mon 22/Dec/14 11:34pm

The quietest roads I can think of are in the Wairarapa, but that's a bit of a drive obviously.

Riding from Upper Hutt over to Whitemans Valley via Wallaceville Hill is pretty quiet. From Wallaceville you can go either towards Te Marua or Blue Mountains. Both directions can be a loop or just go back the way you came.

From Wainuiomata down to the coast and back is also pretty low traffic.

Obviously on the open road the traffic is faster than suburban streets.
You could maybe find a nice neighbourhood loop.

I find the motorway between Upper Hutt and Lower Hutt pretty good as there is acres of space on the sides of the road.
The Wellington Masters Cycling Club use a loop for their Wednesday night Time Trials. It's about 6km from Liverton road up the motorway and back down Liverton Road.

It's a good group of people if you want to join a club and find some folks to ride with.
Farm
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 22/Dec/14 11:59pm

Farm wrote:
Riding from Upper Hutt over to Whitemans Valley via Wallaceville Hill is pretty quiet. From Wallaceville you can go either towards Te Marua or Blue Mountains. Both directions can be a loop or just go back the way you came.

^^this
havent lived in the area for 20 years but remember that area as plain luurvly
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby RugbySucks on Tue 23/Dec/14 8:00am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Farm wrote:

^^this

:withstupid:
RugbySucks
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby mattrove on Tue 23/Dec/14 12:17pm

There is the Belmonth Hills, Wainui Coast Road is good too once over the hill and passed the burbs and you can do Moores Valley too.
Other option that can involve more traffic to get to the quite part are the Akatarawas, Moonshie Rd, Horokiwi Rd.

Matt
mattrove
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Tue 23/Dec/14 1:12pm

RugbySucks wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Farm wrote:

^^this

:withstupid:

Love riding up there - amazing to have that kind of countryside so close to the city.

You do need to be careful on some of the narrow sections, there is the odd psycho driver who will photograph you and start ranting on facebook about cyclists being the scum of the earth.

I personally love climbing up Blue Mountains and the looping back down Wallaceville. Depending on fitness looping the other direction might be a better way to star out though (Blue mountains is shorter and steeper)
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby ryda on Tue 23/Dec/14 1:30pm

Conners wrote: (Blue mountains is shorter and steeper)

??? not according to strava :p :paranoid: :lol:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Tue 23/Dec/14 2:13pm

ryda wrote:
Conners wrote: (Blue mountains is shorter and steeper)

??? not according to strava :p :paranoid: :lol:

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I'd never really thought about it in detail, definitely steeper. Suppose the start point is lower elevation that than the bottom of Wallaceville, and Whitemans must fall from Blue Mountains down to Wallaceville?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 23/Dec/14 3:12pm

Yeah Top of Wallaceville is lower than top of Blue Mountains. Blue Mountains is deffo longer, I haven't been out there for a year or so, but Blue Mountains takes me almost twice as long
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 23/Dec/14 9:53pm

BM def longer steeper higher (but only bout 200m climb) than wallaceville (100m?) 26ishkm loop
whitemans valley drops to the north and the hut valley rises - meet at about 80m at Te marua which is the natural longer loop - (but still quite short if i remember correctly)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby melbear on Wed 24/Dec/14 12:26am

Farm wrote:The quietest roads I can think of are in the Wairarapa, but that's a bit of a drive obviously.

I wouldn't mind that actually, could even catch the train there.

Thanks everyone who answered, I think I will try whitemans valley, my partners mum lives in blue mountains which could be handy.

Will be keen to check out some of the other suggestions too :)
melbear
Member for: 4 years 11 months

Postby 13daza on Sun 28/Dec/14 10:32pm

I ride in Wairarapa , somewhat conveniently I also live here too :) I recommend route 52 it is a very quiet road ,if you get on it early most weekends you "may" see a car or three at most ( sometimes none at all ) there's a few possible loops along the road ( the shortest loop is about 65 km from Masterton and back) further along there are some good hills ,you can even ride up to the Tui brewery via route 52 and some back-roads (its 83.6 km from my house :sly: )
But in all honesty most roads are pretty quiet in comparison to most places I have been ,bear in mind around Martinbourough and Greytown can get a bit crazy when all the "townies" come over for the weekends .but on the whole ,most drivers over here seem to be pretty considerate and generally give you heaps of room when passing ,of course if you behave like a moron you may get a few terse words ,
Don't be alarmed when Farmers, tractor drivers and most other people wave as you go past , they're just friendly .
Some days you will see more cyclists than cars on the back roads .
13daza
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Lower Hutt | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts