A Question About Modern Bleed Kits

Postby Scotty on Sun 17/Jan/16 8:13am

I wanna bleed the formulas my bike came with. However spending the same amount of pinga on a bleed kit that could get me one end of a shimano upgrade doesn't sit well with me.

Question is: Can you buy the screw in bleed nipples these formula/avid/hayes/etc have sperately? Buying a syringe and pvc tube and associated clamps is no drama, but I'm just trying to work out how to do the nipple part.

Thanks. :)

Nipples.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: A Question About Modern Bleed Kits

Postby Scotty on Sun 17/Jan/16 8:16am

erk. Looks like you can, but they're out of stock. :(

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/e ... -prod58301
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Kyle on Sun 17/Jan/16 9:35am

Is the fitting the same as the tektro ones? If so Marleens has/can get them.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sun 17/Jan/16 10:09am

I thought a fair number of the nipple threads were common between makes such as Avid, hayes, Formula etc.
I have recently purchased a new kit from trademe (including syringes) that was designed to bleed all of those, as well as Avid. Cost me $42 + P&P
Expired listing No. 1001750579 if you want an idea of what I'm talking about.
Cheers
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 7 months

phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Sun 17/Jan/16 12:21pm

Scotty wrote:I wanna bleed the formulas my bike came with. However spending the same amount of pinga on a bleed kit that could get me one end of a shimano upgrade doesn't sit well with me.

Question is: Can you buy the screw in bleed nipples these formula/avid/hayes/etc have sperately? Buying a syringe and pvc tube and associated clamps is no drama, but I'm just trying to work out how to do the nipple part.

Thanks. :)

I tried buying some of these but they did not come with o-rings (they came with a paper washer instead,) and they did seal very well round the tubing too.

or were you after the bit from the tube to the syringe
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 21/Jan/16 8:49am

The fittings are m5 but seal in the bottom of the taper. Anyone with a lathe can make a set.
The same fittings do RS Reverb, RS X-loc, Avid/SRAM brakes, Formula brakes and Hayes brakes. However you want to segregate the bleed stuff you use for DOT fluid and the bleed stuff you use for hydraulic fluid.
You also need different o-ring materials to resist DOT fluid.

Shockcraft have the syringes with screw lock so they don't pop off. Still need a bulk supplier for the screw in barb fittings. But we've got enough to fill any orders for now.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 21/Jan/16 11:26am

Which Formula brakes out of interest?
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 21/Jan/16 12:02pm

mudguard wrote:Which Formula brakes out of interest?

All the ones made in the same factory as Sram. If it's got a M5 grub screw (hex or torx) then it takes the same fittings.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 21/Jan/16 1:13pm

Oh I meant which ones was Scotty using. I have C1's on my old SX. They're fine but one lever had a touch too much throw and I couldn't be arsed bleeding them to get rid of it.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycling | Workshop - Latest Posts