Question About Budget Light Idea

Postby gotrentus on Mon 8/Jun/09 8:53pm

Hi, i need a little advise,

i am after a new light on a budget.. has anyone tried mouting a led lenser torch.. (180 lumens) to their helmet..

what is a reasonable price to pay for an ok light i want to be able to mish round bottle lake and mc cleans island

any help much appreciated
t
gotrentus
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Re: Question About Budget Light Idea

Postby Tama on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:17pm

It's possible to put together a light for under $100 complete with charger by using an outside halogen light fitting and a motorcycle gel battery from somewhere like Rexel. The downside is this setup weighs approximately the same as Rosanne Barr.

From what I've seen the batteries are where most of the cost/ weight saving is - unless you're moving into real cutting edge technology with the lights themselves (HID).

I've "night ridden" on LED commuter lights in Bottle Lake type places - but it's a bit dodgy, and not in a fun way.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:36pm

yes, it can be done, possibly not for under $100
Bulb, battery, and charger will probably cost that alone. - unless you have some trade hookups of course.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:46pm

dx has a light for 130nzd, ( approx) It needs a little internal work to make it reliable, but otherwise its a steal.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby gotrentus on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:56pm

dx?
gotrentus
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:59pm

gotrentus wrote:dx?

i beleive he means "deal extreme" its a n overseas website, full of lights and bitys
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:00pm

my bad, cheers PB :thumbsup:
slidecontrol

Postby RussS on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:06pm

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

I've actually bought one to throw in my box of lights for loaning out. I've played with a SSC LED torch and thought that with a little more voltage it would make a passable light for someone to see if they wanted to shell out coinage for a good set - this one looks to fit the bill.

Thjats about $130 at todays exchange rate.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Tama on Tue 9/Jun/09 8:37am

Mr_Bob wrote:yes, it can be done, possibly not for under $100
Bulb, battery, and charger will probably cost that alone. - unless you have some trade hookups of course.

The $100 was from a deal Wellington Rexel was doing a few years back - so is probably a bit out of date :blush:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Tue 9/Jun/09 8:46am

RussS wrote:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

I've actually bought one to throw in my box of lights for loaning out. I've played with a SSC LED torch and thought that with a little more voltage it would make a passable light for someone to see if they wanted to shell out coinage for a good set - this one looks to fit the bill.

has it arrived yet? would be really interested to hear how it actually performs. as a budget set up it looks ideal...............??
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 9/Jun/09 8:50am

RussS wrote:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

Reviews of those suggest they might not last long - internals will melt.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p ... ost5720994

This is the flashlight I use:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19767.

Could be helmet mounted using some velcro or elastic or the mounts from nightlightning
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 9/Jun/09 9:12am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Reviews of those suggest they might not last long - internals will melt.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p ... ost5720994

which is why...
slidecontrol wrote:dx has a light for 130nzd, ( approx) It needs a little internal work to make it reliable, but otherwise its a steal.

the internals won't 'melt' but the LED will fail if the heat isn't managed. there's not a lot that has to be done to ensure a good thermal path, but it does need to be done. As mentioned in the other light thread, a better driver will unlock more of the LEDs potential as well.
slidecontrol

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 9/Jun/09 9:18am

go the way of every tried and trued starter night rider. ala jeremyb.net's 35w IRC halogen, 12 volt 7.2 Amp Hr Battery (brick, 2.4 kilos), and assorted wires and switch and aluminium tube. its under a hundred bucks, sure it weighs, but only as much as a camelback full of water.

i've been riding this set up for nearly 10 years now, and still ride this set up. i'm waiting for LED's to get cheaper. we head up the hill lugging the weight of the battery. doesnt matter. what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 9/Jun/09 9:27am

You can DIY a halogen kit (mine was <$100) but it's the battery that is the sticking point in a halogen system. I have 20w, 35w and 50w bulbs and a 7ah 12v battery, and it weights just about Rosanne Barr KG's, but not quite. Battery is fine in my bag and pootling around McLeans or the Puddle is fine, but the thought of coming off in Vic Park and having it crush my spine makes me pine for the AyUp's I've seen. Sigh.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Thermo on Tue 9/Jun/09 9:29am

Here's a good site I found if you need to calculate run times and charge times.
http://www.retrolight.com.au/support/?I ... ContId=833

And my helmet light made by Rocketman:
4649_87868410977_611100977_1932243_3717252_n.jpg

The battery is the long black thing in the foreground. I think it's two stacks of "C" batteries. It's not light, but it fit nicely in the Camelbak and you don't notice it's there.
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts