Re: Question About Budget Light Idea

Postby implant on Tue 9/Jun/09 9:46am

With a 20W IRC coated halogen bulb 12 degree spread (about 35 bucks i think from memory) you get enough light for bottle lake for sure, and if you're going to be out for up to 2h then a 4.5 amp hour battery is fine, saves you a bit of weight and bulk. I've had a home made 20w setup, and then splashed out for the nightlightning one with a good battery and a dimmer module, but both with the more expensive coated halogen rather than the plain variety. If your night rides are likely to only be an hour, you could get an even smaller battery, just remember to chuck in a small led head torch in case your diy setup fails or you're out for longer/need to do repairs tires etc etc. Should still be possible to do this pretty cheap. I'll have a nightlightning halogen light for sale soon too, just the simple one no dimmer, but if you're interested PM me...

Chur

Nick
implant
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 9/Jun/09 12:33pm

my most recent 35w IRC replacement bulb was only $16 or $17. from Rexel.

20w IRC is fine for things like bottle lake or riding up the hill, you get roughly 3.5 hours out of a brick
35w IRC you'll get juuuust under 2 hours of light time (we ride up hill without lights most of time, just use LED flashies (non flashing obviously)), but you can fly full noise down hills with it.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 9/Jun/09 12:46pm

This was the 'math' I used to work out the life of my battery, dependant on it's age and crappiness, and how long it'll last with the various bulbs on my 7ah battery. Times are hrs:mins and using this table, I know my current battery is worse than tired, but not quite neardeath!
Code: Select all
W    V    A     AHBat  theory  actual  tired   neardeath   
20   12   1.67  7      4.12    3.22    2.31    1.41
35   12   2.92  7      2.24    1.55    1.26    0.58
50   12   4.17  7      1.41    1.21    1.00    0.40
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Kite on Tue 9/Jun/09 1:11pm

Rexel Christchurch still have the bike kits for $90.00 + GST
Kite
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 9/Jun/09 2:56pm

crazychris wrote:This was the 'math' I used to work out the life of my battery, dependant on it's age and crappiness, and how long it'll last with the various bulbs on my 7ah battery. Times are hrs:mins and using this table, I know my current battery is worse than tired, but not quite neardeath!
Code: Select all
W    V    A     AHBat  theory  actual  tired   neardeath   
20   12   1.67  7      4.12    3.22    2.31    1.41
35   12   2.92  7      2.24    1.55    1.26    0.58
50   12   4.17  7      1.41    1.21    1.00    0.40

fancy... very nice.
weirdly, my battery is old, but not tired. whereas my riding buddy seems to chew through batteries... i put it down to my charger. its a bog standard generic 500mA charger (ie, half an amp, so, from empty, it should take 14 hours of charging). i estimate how many amphours i drained over the course of a ride, and then plug it in over night anyway... seems to always be charged sufficiently, and like i say, has been running for years. i'm still getting up probably between 1.5 and 2 hours from it (on the 35 irc). with lead batteries, too, you wanna always keep them as charged up as possible... whereas lithium, the research shows, for long lasting (ie, sitting on a shelf), 43% charge is ideal.
i reckon the trickle charge idea is whats saving it. whereas my mate's is pumping maybe 4 amps into it.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts