Re: Queenstown Skyline Gondola Opening For Mountain Biking

Postby r0cketman on Mon 7/Jun/10 10:09pm

You can ride skyline all year round, snow-line is usually just above the building at the top of the gondola .
r0cketman
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby DWNHiLGHOST on Tue 8/Jun/10 7:53am

I have my brother in-law down in invercargill making up the bike carriers. Apparently a few issues getting the trucks up the access road ha ha. I'll be sure to check it out next time im in qtown.
DWNHiLGHOST
"Dearest me I've forgotten my tulips."
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby grahamt on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:52am

Excellent news - was riding up there a couple of weeks ago and the skyline tracks are getting better all the time. New track turd sandwich is lots of fun.

Guess they will need to put in a new track linking bottom of tracks with Gondola station - at the moment the Vertigo tracks pop out at the bottom of the access road meaning a road ride round the camping ground to the Gondola.
grahamt
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Whoops on Thu 17/Jun/10 9:57pm

sweet
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Demo on Fri 18/Jun/10 8:54am

Whoops wrote:sweet

Right on Sam. Looks like our QT holidays have been revived!!
Demo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Crucial on Fri 18/Jun/10 2:09pm

grahamt wrote:Excellent news - was riding up there a couple of weeks ago and the skyline tracks are getting better all the time. New track turd sandwich is lots of fun.

Guess they will need to put in a new track linking bottom of tracks with Gondola station - at the moment the Vertigo tracks pop out at the bottom of the access road meaning a road ride round the camping ground to the Gondola.

Nice ride. Add a few jumps and a few steep shortcuts and rough sections and you have the start of a good DH track there.
Crucial
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby slowMTB on Sun 1/Aug/10 8:41am

j2hyde wrote:
wuffy wrote:Oh well. I'll just have to do heli-biking instead :rolleyes:

In August things tend to be covered in snow. You might want to consider leaving the bike at home and taking skis ;)

Heli bike to Rotorua :ib: :blink:
slowMTB
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby qmtbc on Thu 28/Oct/10 4:06pm

qmtbc
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 28/Oct/10 4:18pm

Shit yeah, good stuff! Keen to ride there now, I hear that skyline trail is a ripper :thumbsup:
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby Whoops on Thu 28/Oct/10 4:46pm

WOOHOO!

All that money I was saving for Whistler can now be spent in QT. Well done all involved.
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Thu 28/Oct/10 5:09pm

That is fantastic news.
What are the trails like up in that thurr forest these days - still pretty epic steep DH-steez? Or is there some more trail bike friendly brake burner style stuff?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:01pm

Pretty much everything up there is trail bike friendly. There isn't much real steep stuff up skyline.

Gondola will be awesome. Any news on price?
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby herbman on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:06pm

j2hyde wrote:Pretty much everything up there is trail bike friendly. There isn't much real steep stuff up skyline.

Gondola will be awesome. Any news on price?

hmmm im sure i have had my ass dragging the back wheel on some of the tracks up there........
herbman
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:07pm

Conners wrote:That is fantastic news.
What are the trails like up in that thurr forest these days - still pretty epic steep DH-steez? Or is there some more trail bike friendly brake burner style stuff?

This time last year I took a Turner Flux down to QT and had a ball playing on the stuff on skyline, sure there was some stuff bigger than I wanted to ride with only a Xen and no pads, but there was plenty of stuff to have fun on
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:15pm

Yeah, a few guys I know have spent 30mins to an hour pushing all the way to the top just for the downs, awesome stuff apparently. Might have to cancel whistler and spend 2 weeks in q-town riding :o
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Shuttling - Latest Posts