Pulley Advice

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 4:08pm

I bought a ceiling mounted washing line, but the cord hangs down form the middle of it. so i bout some pulley s to diver the cord to the wall. it is out side and exposed to salt spray from the sea so i bought stainless.

these have made it harder to pull up the washing line
I think the problem is that the pulleys have added drag into the system as they don't have bearings (or even bushes) just a pulley rotating on a rivet .

I was thinking if i greased the pulleys it might help, but getting grease into the axle is a problem as the is minimal room between the housing and the pulley.

any suggestions on how to improve the situation?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Pulley Advice

Postby OliverBendix on Thu 26/May/16 4:28pm

Visit a chandlers, or beg a friendly yachtie for a nice spare block? Yacht gear is pretty salt proof and the more expensive stuff runs on nice smooth roller bearings. Can cost $$ tho - worse than bike parts.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby danose on Thu 26/May/16 4:50pm

you probably don't even NEED a pulley for that application (unless the washing line is really heavy) - you could just drill a hole in the wall, glue this in and run the rope directly thru it

http://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/sing ... nchor-10mm

that over-kill pulley is most likely not rotating at all (since it's 'bearing' will be spec'd for some crazy big load), so your rope is just sliding around it - a smaller radius (and hence less contact area) will be much less drag.
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Sims on Thu 26/May/16 4:56pm

You need a double pulley system to halve the effective effort required.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby ape on Thu 26/May/16 5:23pm

If you're keen to use that pulley and really want to grease it, there's always the option of grinding the end off the rivet and replacing it with a stainless bolt with an unthreaded shank long enough that threads are out of the way (and a nyloc or double nuts)

If you're not that enthused by the idea of pulling it apart, you may be able to fit a needle in there to drip a little oil on the axle.

Also, a bit of wear could loosen things up a bit.... splice a loop of rope through it, wrap it around a drill chuck and spin it for a couple of minutes.

but yeah, aside from that, as mentioned before, good pulleys aren't cheap.
ape
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 5:30pm

Sims wrote:You need a double pulley system to halve the effective effort required.

tried that, the extra drag from the pulleys made it harder to pull :(
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 5:34pm

ape wrote:Also, a bit of wear could loosen things up a bit.... splice a loop of rope through it, wrap it around a drill chuck and spin it for a couple of minutes.

might give this a go :)
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Dougal on Thu 26/May/16 5:39pm

Is it rope that doesn't like bending to that radius?

Get some smoother cord and try it. I have the same pulley (but even lower quality) and it survived a bigger pull than I expected (pulling an engine-less vehicle up a slightly sloping driveway into a garage). I planned to drill it out for bearings and bolts if/when it broke. But it hasn't.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 6:21pm

Dougal wrote:Is it rope that doesn't like bending to that radius?

Get some smoother cord and try it. I have the same pulley (but even lower quality) and it survived a bigger pull than I expected (pulling an engine-less vehicle up a slightly sloping driveway into a garage). I planned to drill it out for bearings and bolts if/when it broke. But it hasn't.

it is 3 or 4 mm paracord/utility so bending radius is no problem

I got my spring balance out and measured the load (with mostly empty line), ~4kg (+/-1kg) without extra pulleys, 6 kg with, and when i put in a quad (there is already a double) it says at 6kg, so i think the drage is like a constant amount of force or something.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/May/16 6:46pm

You could immerse it in an oil or a warmed grease.

However any time you change the angle of a force there's going to be some resistance. I bet with a pulley such as the one described much of the movement isn't even, er, pulleyed. It's just going to be rope sliding through an angle... And that means friction.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby pokey on Thu 26/May/16 8:03pm

philstar wrote:II was thinking if i greased the pulleys it might help, but getting grease into the axle is a problem as the is minimal room between the housing and the pulley.

You want a wick in lube like Inox MX3 or motorcycle chain lube that uses a solvent (which evaporates) to transport the lube into the tightest spaces, Wurth HHS 2000 is great if you know someone in the automotive trade.
pokey
Member for: 1 year 11 months

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 8:16pm

do you think i can get grease through a hypodermic needle?

I work in a hospital so that type of thin is handy :)
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/May/16 8:24pm

Yeah easy get a 16g/14g needle and a luer lock syringe. No worries.

Most greases would go through 18g slowly as well.
happybaboon

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 8:51pm

happybaboon wrote:Yeah easy get a 16g/14g needle and a luer lock syringe. No worries.

Most greases would go through 18g slowly as well.

dame the 18 gauge 1.2mm (blunt fill) needle wont fit between the pulley and the edge :(

the next smallest is a 0.8 mm
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/May/16 8:56pm

Many greases would fit through that. If not, warm them.
happybaboon

General Products | Sifting - Latest Posts