Pukeora Hill Mtb Park - Closed

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Thu 3/Oct/13 5:34pm

Notice to all Riders who ride at PUKEORA HILL MTB PARK in Central Hawkes Bay

BasicallyPukeora Hill MTB Park is now permanently CLOSED effective immediately.

The HBMTBC have been riding at Pukeora, in Central Hawkes Bay since 2009, after our club secretary spent 2 years building a 10km network of MTB trails in this 50ha forest block.
We have known this day will come in 2013/2014, with short notice.
Logging probably won't happen for another few months, but the trees are becoming too dangerous for the owners liking.

We thank PF Olsen Forestry & Simon from Fire&RescueNZ for the access they have given us into this forest, which has been a great asset to the Central Hawkes Bay area.

Please see below notice received from the forestry management company who manage Pukeora Forest in Central Hawkes Bay.

Hello to the HBMTBC,
This is a formal notification to inform you that the Pukeora Forest is to close for ANY PUBLIC OR FORMAL RECREATIONAL ACCESS. This is effective from the receipt of this to all your members, excepting that you have my permission to access the forest in the short term to remove any equipment and/or structures that are within. Please remove Pukeora from all your member communication.

The decision to close has come from the Office of Treaty Settlements (OTS), whom are the governing body in charge of this land holding, pending land settlement claims under the Treaty of Waitangi. They believe the risk associated with treefall and from unstable trees already in existence, and the fact that we are in the windy season now, places the risk of public access at a high level. Under the Health & Safety and Employment Act, the OTS have a primary responsibility to uphold absolute public safety and take this responsibility seriously.

I have spoken with your President, Scott, and am sorry to have to pass this news on to you.
May I say that our relationship with your organisation has been nothing bar outstanding and as a formal group that promotes the good in developing outdoor experience for young and old, we applaud you immensely. Many thanks and if we as foresters are able to provide somewhere else for you to develop another MB venue, we will be in touch.

If you wish to discuss anything in regard to this decision, please be in touch with me.
Kind Regards
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Hawkes Bay | Lower North Island | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions - Latest Posts