Psychavoc's Crazyman Logistics Thread

Postby psychavoc on Fri 28th Apr 5:53pm

Hello Vorbers and Vorbettes! :D

I decided a couple of weeks ago to enter the Crazyman duathlon (next weekend). I'm flying in from Dunedin to Wellington early on Saturday morning, and leaving early Monday morning. I am staying out in my old family home in Upper Hutt (currently no-one there), and will have access to a car once I get to Upper Hutt.

Logistics to sort out:

* Best way to get from Wellington airport to Upper Hutt with a bike bag? (I was thinking Airport Flyer to Queensgate, then hoping that a standard bus will take me to UH, and walking to from bus stop to my house).

* Best way to sort out my transition, etc, for Crazyman? (I was thinking drive to bike/run transition area, set up running stuff, drive to start/finish line and park car, then ride bike to the start line. Then at the end of race, drive back to bike/run transition to pick up my bike and gear).

* Best way to get back to Welly on Monday morning? (I was thinking train from UH to Welly, then taxi or bus from train station to airport).

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions? :) I don't want to pay for a taxi all the way to UH (and back) as it'll be too cost prohibitive, and I've just checked the cost of a shuttle and it's around $150 return so a bit more than I'd like to pay as well.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Psychavoc's Crazyman Logistics Thread

Postby dwgknz on Fri 28th Apr 8:37pm

Not sure if there are luggage restrictions on the airport flyer, but possibly taxi/ train option might be easier getting to UH as well.

Definitely on Monday aim for a Wairapa train if you're travelling at peak time as they have a luggage car.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 28th Apr 8:53pm

Great thinking about the Wairarapa train :thumbsup:

I was also looking into car rental options as it may just be easier to just hire a car for the weekend. Do you think a bike bag would fit into a Yaris, Mazda 2, or Corolla hatchback if I fold the rear seats down? :paranoid:

http://www.gorentals.co.nz/rental-cars/small-car-hire/
psychavoc

Postby Conners on Fri 28th Apr 9:15pm

Corolla Hatch definitely. I had my mtb with me on a work trip and fitted my bike bag in the boot without even folding the seats down.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby psychavoc on Fri 28th Apr 9:28pm

Sweet. This bike bag seems to be around 135cm long by 90cm wide. I suspect it'll be too long for the smaller hatch options :paranoid:
psychavoc

Postby Conners on Fri 28th Apr 9:43pm

I think you'd be surprised at what you could fit into the smaller options even. Especially if you're on your own, you can run the passengers seat right forward and even tip the seat back forward which would free up quite a bit of space in the back.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby psychavoc on Fri 28th Apr 9:45pm

Yup, am flying solo next weekend. I really would like to use the public transport option but I suspect it may be tricky with a large bike bag :huh:
psychavoc

Postby Conners on Fri 28th Apr 10:11pm

I'm pretty sure the Flyer busses have pretty big luggage storage racks up the front that you would be able to fit your bike bag into? Or take a bungy and stand the bike bag next to the racks and lash it to it.
Depending on time of day and how full the bus is, if there is a spare seat you could easily stand your bike bag up on its end in the gap between the seats (sitting on the floor) without too much hassle.

Now sure where the Valley Flyer ends up, but if this is closer to your place than the railway station then you could get the Airport Flyer to Welly station, and then transfer to the Valley Flyer there. (Or do the switch at Queensgate).

if it wasn't Sat morning I'd offer to pick you up, but weekend logistics are pretty full on around here :D
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby psychavoc on Sat 29th Apr 12:30pm

Thanks conners! :)

Have ended up booking a wee Hyundai Getz for the weekend. $64 all up and much less hassle than trying to deal with bike bag on public transport, especially early Monday morning with all the regular commuters. Will fold the seats down, push passenger seat forward, and unpack bike from bag to put in the boot, then lie the bag down lengthwise. Fingers crossed that works! :paranoid:
psychavoc

Postby Conners on Sat 29th Apr 12:54pm

Nice work, in terms of cost that's pretty good!
Flyer from LH to airport is about $14 from memory, so you're really not spending much more at all and gaining a whole bunch of independence and flexibility.

Just watch out for traffic on the Monday morning - depending on your flight time I'd allow at least an hour and twenty to be safe to get to the airport from UH (unless you're before 7 or after 9 on the motorway)
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Barbsarama on Sat 29th Apr 3:29pm

Psych, why don't you just stay with us and I can take you to the event on the weekend?
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby psychavoc on Sat 29th Apr 5:51pm

Barbsarama wrote:Psych, why don't you just stay with us and I can take you to the event on the weekend?

Really? That would be fantastic! :D Thanks for the offer! Will flick you a message on Facebook :)
psychavoc

Postby wgtngrl on Sat 29th Apr 10:20pm

psychavoc wrote:
Barbsarama wrote:Psych, why don't you just stay with us and I can take you to the event on the weekend?

Really? That would be fantastic! :D Thanks for the offer! Will flick you a message on Facebook :)

Just saw this - I was going to say Kim is racing (mixed pair) so that would have been an easy option from Upper Hutt. Offer is there if you do end up needing it.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 1st May 2:20pm

wgtngrl wrote:
psychavoc wrote:

Just saw this - I was going to say Kim is racing (mixed pair) so that would have been an easy option from Upper Hutt. Offer is there if you do end up needing it.

Ooh just saw this. That might be less hassle for Barbs if you're already heading out to LH for Crazyman. Will message you Lisa :)
psychavoc

Postby psychavoc on Mon 8th May 9:04pm

Thanks everyone for your advice! Amazingly, the bike bag fitted in the back of the wee Hyundai Getz! Thanks also to wgtngrl and Kim who had me sorted for transport and support on the day :thumbsup:

PS: A wee race report if anyone's interested! https://celiasadventures.wordpress.com/ ... -duathlon/
psychavoc

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts