Postby Mr_Sizzle on Wed 22/Mar/06 6:28am

but what happens when you have a dot on your derailer or something and then sell that? and then that bike gets stolen with the derailer with my dot on it? do you have to write down where you put the dots and then when you sell it take them all of again?
Mr_Sizzle
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Dazzle on Wed 22/Mar/06 9:51am

mummy wrote: but what happens when you have a dot on your derailer or something and then sell that? and then that bike gets stolen with the derailer with my dot on it? do you have to write down where you put the dots and then when you sell it take them all of again?

I imagine the police are not stupid enough to hand over a complete bike to you on the basis that one component tested positive for the dots that matched you. They are gonna want to see some sort of proof of purchase or the stolen bike report you (presumably) filed when your (presumed) bike was stolen.

This system wont physicaly stop your bike being stolen. It may discourage a high end bike thief from targeting your bike, and it should aid returning it to you if the police recover it. There have been several cases here on Vorb where the police or someone has turned up a high end bike but needed to trace its ownership to return it.

Bike serial numbers are not like car registration/plates/VIN which are stored in an updated nationwide database. Usualy the bike serial number on a recovered or suspected stolen bike wont turn up jack on police computer search because the number only enters the system after a stolen report is made by the hopefully smart-enough-to-keep-their-number-in-a-safe-place-bike-owner.
Dazzle
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Tama on Wed 22/Mar/06 10:25am

Dazzle wrote:Bike serial numbers are not like car registration/plates/VIN which are stored in an updated nationwide database. Usualy the bike serial number on a recovered or suspected stolen bike wont turn up jack on police computer search because the number only enters the system after a stolen report is made by the hopefully smart-enough-to-keep-their-number-in-a-safe-place-bike-owner.

For added fun serial numbers are often unreadable under a layer of paint and can easily be removed with a file. For even more added fun serial numbers on forks are normally on the steerer tube so you'd have to take the fork out to get the serial number and even then you might find that there is no serial number on the fork (especially so if you bought them from a certain online store.)

I like the idea of the data dots and will look at putting them on my bikes. As soon as I actually have some money of course :huh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby radical_edward on Wed 22/Mar/06 10:55am

Dazzle wrote: the hopefully smart-enough-to-keep-their-number-in-a-safe-place-bike-owner.

A timely reminder to put your bikes in the New Zealand Bike Registry.

It is free, and it saves you having to hunt down the scrap of paper that you had your serial number written on.

:thumbsup:
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Wed 22/Mar/06 11:00am

They should make 'scratch-'n-sniff' dots.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Datadots On Other Assets

Postby peterhaszard on Tue 28/Mar/06 4:10pm

headlesschicken wrote: Bloody brilliant idea, I'll be investing in a set [if not more!]
What I'm curious about is the extent the police monitor these things to for example could you put them on your laptop, dvd player, stereo etc and have them picked up if these items are checked for the datadots. Also, can you register a set so whatever you put them on can be traced back to the same owner?

DataDots can be put onto almost any asset, certainly Laptops, DVD Players, Computers etc.
Once the DataDot pack has been registered on the Recordit/DataDot National Register any item marked can be traced back to the owner.
peterhaszard
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby peterhaszard on Tue 28/Mar/06 4:15pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote: Im imagining something like my nail polish bottle, and a clear liquid with the dots suspended in it. Would that be correct??

You are right 500 dot DataDot Kit has a container with a brush as part of the lid, much like a mascara bottle. Dots are applied to the item by 'dabbing' the brush with the glue solution in which the DatDots are suspended. The glue dries clear and leaves the dots which are about the size of a grain of sand.
peterhaszard

Postby peterhaszard on Tue 28/Mar/06 4:21pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote: why do we need more than 500 dots? thinking about the motorbike angle again. the motor has a serial number, the frame has a serial number, the vehicle has a vin plate and all that...

only the cycle parts would be worth doing.

Professional thieves will try to remove the VIN plate of a car and grind off chassis numbers, much the same with motor cycles, farm bikes and ATV's.
DataDots work because of the number that are put on an asset, thieves may be able to remove some dots, but are unlikely to be able to remove al the dotsl.
The other aspect of DataDot marking that is important, is that they are deterrant to thieves, because once the see that an asset in marked with DataDots they will tend to not evn try to steal it!
In Australia the rate of theft of Subaru and HSV vehicles has dropped by 93% over the past 2-3 years, solely due to the adoption of DataDots!
peterhaszard

Postby peterhaszard on Tue 28/Mar/06 4:31pm

Dazzle wrote:
mummy wrote: but what happens when you have a dot on your derailer or something and then sell that? and then that bike gets stolen with the derailer with my dot on it? do you have to write down where you put the dots and then when you sell it take them all of again?

I imagine the police are not stupid enough to hand over a complete bike to you on the basis that one component tested positive for the dots that matched you. They are gonna want to see some sort of proof of purchase or the stolen bike report you (presumably) filed when your (presumed) bike was stolen.

This system wont physicaly stop your bike being stolen. It may discourage a high end bike thief from targeting your bike, and it should aid returning it to you if the police recover it. There have been several cases here on Vorb where the police or someone has turned up a high end bike but needed to trace its ownership to return it.

Bike serial numbers are not like car registration/plates/VIN which are stored in an updated nationwide database. Usualy the bike serial number on a recovered or suspected stolen bike wont turn up jack on police computer search because the number only enters the system after a stolen report is made by the hopefully smart-enough-to-keep-their-number-in-a-safe-place-bike-owner.

Plenty of cynics on this site!
The use DataDot is likely to reduce theft because theives just wont bother when they know that the asset is marked with DataDot as has happened with Subaru and HSV vehicles where the rate of theft has dropped by 93% in the last 2-3 years.
When the DataDot kit is registerd on the Recordit/DataDot National Register, the bikes Serial Number can also be stored.
peterhaszard

Postby Tama on Tue 28/Mar/06 4:41pm

Thanks Peter, it's always appreciated when people come on and answer questions about their products. :thumbsup:

Remember folks that there's a 12.5% discount on DataDotDNA for Vorb users Click Here For More Info
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby headlesschicken on Tue 28/Mar/06 6:36pm

just one more question, what happens when you sell your bike parts, other goods?
headlesschicken
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Chris_D on Tue 28/Mar/06 11:45pm

headlesschicken wrote: just one more question, what happens when you sell your bike parts, other goods?

Unless you're gonna go ahead and report it stolen, nothing, I imagine.
Chris_D
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Jin on Wed 29/Mar/06 8:04pm

where could you find a serial code on a frame???
Jin
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Quicktime09 on Wed 29/Mar/06 8:09pm

under the crank shaft on the bottom of the bike i think...thats where mine is
Quicktime09

Postby Lamedoggo on Wed 29/Mar/06 8:10pm

Unless its been ground off.

:paranoid:
Lamedoggo
"Like Elmo but without the fluff."
Member for: 13 years 9 months