Postby thekiwi on Tue 21/Mar/06 4:42pm

Vinnie wrote: How do they/you deal with sale of frame/forks etc?

Assuming that you data-dot your frame, forks, wheels, brakes (most expensive parts, as recommended by the website) then split the bike up for sale at a later date, what happens then?

You can just see it now. Police parked up at Makara carpark doing random DataDot Spot checks .... "Excuse me sir, can you please just clean that rear derailleur so that we can look at with this here magnifying glass" :D

I dont want to be cynical, but this sounds more like a system which works on cars and the marketing department have decided they need a broader reach with their product.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 21/Mar/06 4:43pm

I think its a fabulous idea and one I will do for my new motorbike...

none of my bikes are worth enough to be stressed aobut. and of course the sheer number of them makes it cost prohibitive.....
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby thekiwi on Tue 21/Mar/06 4:47pm

james_giant wrote:
thekiwi wrote:
james_giant wrote: Click on the link above, there is a whole page on how these things are applied to bikes.

Yup ... clicked the link and read the page and no where does it say what the impact of the item being repainted is. That is why I asked. Maybe you could tell me if you know?
The dots will either be covered in paint, or lying on the floor on the old paint if it was removed.

Would you buy a repainted Intense 6.6 without any decals on it? :sly:

Thats not the question tho'. You can buy manufacturer decals and repaint in a similar manner. Labelling shiny removable parts isnt going to work, as they themselves state its better on dark surfaces. Peoples experiences have shown that on shiny surfaces (and remember it has to be able to be viewed with a magnifying glass) they stand out like sore toes. And think of the practicality of finding a "right XT lever with a Dot on it" ?
thekiwi

Postby Robbie on Tue 21/Mar/06 4:54pm

Bung the dots where they are not seen on the outside. simple. Or, take your chances.
Robbie
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby james on Tue 21/Mar/06 4:55pm

thekiwi wrote:You can buy manufacturer decals and repaint in a similar manner.
You could also re stamp a new serial number but how many bike theives are going to do this?

At the end of the day its a another tool in the arsenal against bike thieves. You choose the best system for you. :)
james
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby thekiwi on Tue 21/Mar/06 4:59pm

"DataDotDNA microdots applied to recovered bicycles helps ensure a speedy return to the rightful owner in such a situation. "

I think this is the more relevant part of the techology. If they do find your bike, and the dots "are visible" and can be viewed, then they can get your bike back.

In this case you would be lucky ... the police found it before it was stripped.
thekiwi

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 21/Mar/06 5:01pm

why do we need more than 500 dots? thinking about the motorbike angle again. the motor has a serial number, the frame has a serial number, the vehicle has a vin plate and all that...

only the cycle parts would be worth doing.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Tama on Tue 21/Mar/06 5:05pm

james_giant wrote:At the end of the day its a another tool in the arsenal against bike thieves. You choose the best system for you. :)

That's my take on it. Considering how much trouble police had linking all the bike bits that had been stolen in Christchurch with their owners if all they had to do is shine and UV light over the pile and then pull out the bits with dots and match them up it would of made things a lot easier for them.

Large numbers of bikes aren't stripped, aren't repainted, and turn up at the police station sooner or later.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 21/Mar/06 5:11pm

Im imagining something like my nail polish bottle, and a clear liquid with the dots suspended in it. Would that be correct??
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Dougal on Tue 21/Mar/06 5:15pm

So how will this go with a polished frame?

It sounds like the advantage is in the database which the cops can access, not the dots themselves. Any database with serial numbers (forks, frames) could offer the same benefits.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 21/Mar/06 6:05pm

Going from my own experience of stolen bikes, the theives are way to lazy to even clean the bike before stripping it!! :eh:
The bits off my Stab were easy to spot in the piles of bits as they were the only ones still covered in mud! :D

So idiots who steal bikes probably arent going to bother searching the whole thing for widdle wee dots!
Im getting some, maybe even 2 kits!
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Datadotdna

Postby peterhaszard on Tue 21/Mar/06 6:34pm

I have read most of the chat on the DataDot's and will try to provide some quick responses:
1] The dots are about the size of a grain of sand.
2] On each dot is laser etched the Recordit Web Address and a Unique ID number.
3] This UID is registered to the purchaser of the DataDot Kit.
4] The dots are suspended in glue solution in their container.
5] The glue is white when wet however when it dries [about 20 mins] it is clear.
6] Dots are applied to the Bicycle in many locations and are virtually impossible to locate without a UV light.
7] The glue has a UV trace so that the location of the dots can be seen.
8] The infromation on the dot is then read with a magnifying device.
9] Police have these magnifying devices [as well as the UV light].
10] The concept is to put a significant number of dots on a Bicycle so that even of some were removed by a thief it would unlikely ALL would be removed.
11] A 500 dot kit may be adequate to treat 2-3 bikes and/or accessories.
12] Of course DataDotDNA is not going to prevent every theft or allow every bicycle to be recovered, however it is a positive step towards both.

Keep your questions coming!
peterhaszard
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby james on Tue 21/Mar/06 6:44pm

Great to have some feedback and answers to our guesses! :thumbsup:
james
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby headlesschicken on Tue 21/Mar/06 7:08pm

Bloody brilliant idea, I'll be investing in a set [if not more!]
What I'm curious about is the extent the police monitor these things to for example could you put them on your laptop, dvd player, stereo etc and have them picked up if these items are checked for the datadots. Also, can you register a set so whatever you put them on can be traced back to the same owner?
headlesschicken
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Datadotdna

Postby thekiwi on Tue 21/Mar/06 9:52pm

peterhaszard wrote: I have read most of the chat on the DataDot's and will try to provide some quick responses:
1] The dots are about the size of a grain of sand.
2] On each dot is laser etched the Recordit Web Address and a Unique ID number.
3] This UID is registered to the purchaser of the DataDot Kit.
4] The dots are suspended in glue solution in their container.
5] The glue is white when wet however when it dries [about 20 mins] it is clear.
6] Dots are applied to the Bicycle in many locations and are virtually impossible to locate without a UV light.
7] The glue has a UV trace so that the location of the dots can be seen.
8] The infromation on the dot is then read with a magnifying device.
9] Police have these magnifying devices [as well as the UV light].
10] The concept is to put a significant number of dots on a Bicycle so that even of some were removed by a thief it would unlikely ALL would be removed.
11] A 500 dot kit may be adequate to treat 2-3 bikes and/or accessories.
12] Of course DataDotDNA is not going to prevent every theft or allow every bicycle to be recovered, however it is a positive step towards both.

Keep your questions coming!

So the dots can be removed?
UV Lamps arent expensive, so in essense the dots, even tho' small, can be found by anyone.
Painting a frame "covers" the dots and negates the need to remove them.

I think I might get a kit, but Id be using it for components. My frame has a serial No.

I think your last bit is the most relevant. An unseen DOT cannot prevent a bike beng stolen, the sign about the DOT on the bike may :) THe DOT helps in recovery/identitfication IF the cops know they are there to be found. With the number of bikes stolen increasing it would be good to know the Police will routinely UV scan bikes and parts.
thekiwi

Classifieds | Cycling | News - Latest Posts